Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 01 Aug 2014, 06:07
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Slacko B4
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 9 of 12 [179 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 Next
eternal-sunshine

PostPosted: Sun 25 Sep 2011, 11:16    Post subject:  

Hi Lobster
Thanks for that.
I had made a similar addition to my install but my point to 01Micko was that others may like it as well as Dropbox is gaining popularity.

FWIW I note yours point to http://www.dropbox.com home page but I have set mine to http://www.dropbox.com/login.

Cheers
mave

PostPosted: Sun 25 Sep 2011, 11:23    Post subject:  keyboard layout issue  

Hi,

trying Slacko B4: did an install, personal save file, setting german localization... seems to be fine.

First surprised and in this minutes I'm booting again and uuups: no german keyboard layout. Looking on the counbtry settings: everything's okay: german But having US-layout.

Restart X and: hey, here we are!

Slacko B4 seems to forget the keyboard layout while having a correct user setting?

mave
01micko

PostPosted: Sun 25 Sep 2011, 11:46    Post subject: Re: delaydrun  

shinobar wrote:
01micko wrote:
it was a real mess before with first-run being called from /usr/sbin/delayedrun and ~/Startup/fullstart Rolling Eyes

The delaydrun should not call any dialogue, firstrun, welcome1stboot, nor flashplayer installer. Then they must be more simple.

hmm.. I agree.. but the way it's structured now it is like a daemon.. turns out I had to call first-run in delayedrun.. bit sad about that.. Sad .. but at least it is all working as expected... trying to keep processes to a minimum, there is lots commented in delayedrun in B5! Thanks shino Smile

--------

In other news..

I'm almost certain acpid is to blame for poweroff issues.. I had this theory before eternal-sunshine's post (thanks).. I will look for and prepare the best possible package.

Cheers Smile

Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Sun 25 Sep 2011, 14:31    Post subject:  

installed xfce from slacko PPM Cool
run startxfce4 from command line
Didn't Lucid have swap window manager code?

Compiz could not do Crying or Very sad
Gmome games downloaded and all looked OK

Lots more to test and use in PPM . . . Smile

Found mhwavedit, which I was playing with a large 89MB wav file today
was very stable.

Last edited by Lobster on Sun 25 Sep 2011, 18:51; edited 1 time in total
DaveS

PostPosted: Sun 25 Sep 2011, 15:26    Post subject:  

Rockstar is a bit of fun. Rockstar... Eucalyptus what is it with you and green?
Sage

PostPosted: Sun 25 Sep 2011, 16:16    Post subject:  

Quote:
I'm almost certain acpid is to blame for poweroff issues.

Always has been - even Dougal struggled with it. It's become a feature of Puppy - only ever encountered it maybe once or twice(?) with other distros. Boot code always works, but it isn't the same for all systems, mostly =force, but sometimes =off or even on. Weird.
rodin.s

PostPosted: Sun 25 Sep 2011, 16:47    Post subject: Russian for welcome1stboot.sh  

I have made Russian translation for welcome1stboot.sh. I have also fixed line 51 of the script.
welcome1stboot_sh-0.1.1-s.tar.gz
Description  Russian added
gz

Download 
Filename  welcome1stboot_sh-0.1.1-s.tar.gz 
Filesize  3.43 KB 
Downloaded  168 Time(s) 
pemasu

PostPosted: Sun 25 Sep 2011, 16:58    Post subject:  

Acpid is usually daemon in /usr/sbin. It mostly sits there and listens if something wakes it up using commands in /etc/acpi/actions.
There is usually 2 scripts, one shuts down from powerbutton and other suspends to the ram. Not much else. Acpid binary is usually small.
I have this reduced script in /etc/acpi/actions. It is originally done by patriot, improved by shinobar and I then took most of their work out, lol:
Code:
SOUND="/usr/share/audio/bark.au"
PLAY="aplay"
[ -f "$SOUND" ] && which $(basename $PLAY) >/dev/null && $(basename $PLAY) "$SOUND"

#echo "DISPLAY=$DISPLAY" >> /root/acpi.log
X_pid=`ps ax | awk '{if (match($5, "X$") || $5 == "X") print $1}'`
if [ "$X_pid" != "" ]; then
#if [ "$DISPLAY" != "" ]; then
 [ -f /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE ] && source /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE
 [ -f /etc/rc.d/pupsave.conf ] && source /etc/rc.d/pupsave.conf
 GTKDIALOG=$(which gtkdialog3)
 PUPSAVECONFIG=$(which pupsaveconfig)
 fi
 [ "$PUPSAVECONFIG" = "" ] && PUPSAVECONFIG=$(which pupsave)
if  [ "$PUPMODE" != "5" -o "$PRECHOICE" != "" -o "$PUPSAVECONFIG" = "" ]; then
P=wmpoweroff
else
P=poweroff
fi
exec $P

Kernel ACPI section is much much more, to what sage referred. It accepts also boot time kernel parameters.

Quote:
ACPI allows control of power management from within the operating system.
ACPI can typically be configured from within the operating system. This is unlike APM where configuration often involves rebooting and entering the BIOS configuration screens to set parameters.
ACPI has several different software components:
a subsystem which controls hardware states and functions that may have previously been in the BIOS configuration
These states include:
thermal control
motherboard configuration
power states (sleep, suspend)

A policy manager, which is software that sits on top of the operating system and allows user input on the system policies

the ACPI also has device drivers that control/monitor devices such as a laptop battery, SMBus (communication/transmission path) and EC (embedded controller).

It would be hard for me to use laptop without ACPI kernel system support.
eternal-sunshine

PostPosted: Sun 25 Sep 2011, 17:23    Post subject:  

1. Still unable to get Chromium to work with B4. Using slickpet and chromium 15 but I can't find all the missing deps (GConf orbit2 libevent). Found orbit2 in lupu528 but not the others. Anyone any ideas.

2. So I tried Chromium 16.0.881-slacko pet from PPM. It didn't complain of any missing deps but still wouldnt run.

3. Barrys Softmaker Office 2008 cut-down pet (12MB) works well.

4. I placed OOOlight sfs file (from their web site) in /mnt/home and also /mnt/home/slackoB4 but it isn't recognised in BootManager. I checked and it's a version 4 sfs.
The sfs does work ok in lupu528.

And it works as a pet in slacko but not as an sfs file but I really prefer to run as sfs. Anyone can help here?

5. installed Dropbox 1.0.20-1.0.20 from PPM and this doesnt run from Menu. CLI says
Quote:
/usr/bin/dropbox: /usr/bin/python: bad interpreter: no such file or directory
. So I assume it needs python to run. Any idea which version and where I install it to?

Thanks

Last edited by eternal-sunshine on Sun 25 Sep 2011, 19:15; edited 3 times in total
sszindian

PostPosted: Sun 25 Sep 2011, 18:20    Post subject: SiS Card  

01micko wrote:

sszindian.. I have bad news..

My SiS machine uses the vesa driver, I compiled as many versions as I could find of the SiS xorg driver and not one would work. It is pretty much unsupported since 2010/10 .. not good

There is precious little info around the web on SiS older chips and newer Xorg, except it fails! There was one patched driver I found for Xorg-7.5 but it failed in Xorg-7.6.

Many thanks mic for all the trouble this SiS card caused, I really appreciate all the work involved you trying to fix me up! I guess we'll just have to wait and see what comes up if the Slack-Geeks have any any solution or not. Shame, I really wanted to help with the testing of Slacko but if other versions of Puppy keep upgrading and going with the Xorg-7.6, it may well mean that older machines like mine and newer Puppy versions will have to part ways.

>>>---Indian------>

Jim1911

PostPosted: Sun 25 Sep 2011, 19:27    Post subject:  

Manual frugal installation on an ext4 partition is working great on my main system with a wired internet connection and a second system on a NTFS partition whith wifi internet connection. Internet connections were perfect on both systems. On the wifi connection I used Frisbee to make the connection.

Both systems booted perfectly and all software checked is working fine. The new first shutdown scripts are OK, however I prefer using shinobar's pupsaveconfig for first shutdown since it provides an option to create a 4fs save file. So after creating an initial save file I deleted it and created new 4fs save files using pupsaveconfig.

As for video, my main system has a Nvidia card, and your NVIDIA 280.13 driver works fine. The Dell system has a ATI video card and the recommended add on driver is Xorg_High which isn't available.

Sorry, I don't have any problems to report. Are there any specific items where you need feedback?

Thanks for this super release,
Jim
jpeps

PostPosted: Sun 25 Sep 2011, 19:47    Post subject:  

I'm stumped. For some reason I can't get links to load in Notecase Pro.
It opens defaultbrowser to the home page. It does the same when I try to go to it's homepage in the help menu. The "$@" is listed correctly for defaultbrowser, and works fine from the commandline. I tried different browsers with the same result.

Links work fine in NotecasePro in lucid and three-headed dog. I booted with prefix=ram, loaded NotecasePro pet, and had the same problem (I left the defaultbrowser alone...so it loaded Seamonkey). Everything else in Notecase Pro works fine in slacko. Any ideas?

I get an error message when trying to load a link:
Code:

(process:17840): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
   Using the fallback 'C' locale.

edit: I get that error in Dog also....so that's not it.
edit2: echo'd from defaultbrowser script; definitely not passing the args.

Last edited by jpeps on Sun 25 Sep 2011, 21:33; edited 2 times in total
01micko

PostPosted: Sun 25 Sep 2011, 21:19    Post subject:  

Acpid is attached ..I don't know if it's going to fix shutdown issues!

-----

Tasgarth and those with sound issues, try alsamixer, I will make it the default mixer, it works for me on my eee-701 sd where retrovol settings would not.

Acpid removed, see next page

Last edited by 01micko on Mon 26 Sep 2011, 06:48; edited 1 time in total
01micko

PostPosted: Sun 25 Sep 2011, 22:08    Post subject:  

eternal-sunshime

I dislike packaging stuff with deps included, slickpet doesn't get dependencies, i'll remove chromium-15. The thing is, if you package stuff with shared libs included then when/if you uninstall that package they get dragged out with it .. this could cause other apps to bork, so if I package with deps (rarely) I put them in a non standard place, then if they go it doesn't affect things. One way to do that is put shared libs in say /opt/lib and make a wrapper script for the app adjusting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH when the app is run so it finds the shared libs it needs.

python can be found in PPM, in slackware repo, just type "python" in the search box.

I'll take a look at OOo lite.

Last edited by 01micko on Sun 25 Sep 2011, 22:23; edited 1 time in total
01micko

PostPosted: Sun 25 Sep 2011, 22:21    Post subject:  

DaveS wrote:
Rockstar is a bit of fun. Rockstar... Eucalyptus what is it with you and green?
Confused ... Smile ..wait til you see the full theme in action ... new jwm theme too.. actually there really isn't much "rock star" about rockstar... except the left handed checkbox .. should suit you tho.. with your left handed window deco Smile
Page 9 of 12 [179 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: