can puppy be loaded on hard drive and have boot in LILO?

Booting, installing, newbie
hounddog2

can puppy be loaded on hard drive and have boot in LILO?

#1 Post by hounddog2 »

I currently have WindowsXP and Mandriva2006 on my computer. The LILO boot is in the MBR. Can I load puppy on a hard drive and add the info to LILO to boot puppy? If so what info do I need to add to LILO to have it work right?

sunburnt

#2 Post by sunburnt »

Hi hounddog2; Lilo is rather old, linld is MUCH more capable, but... lilo is what you've got.
The kernel argument line is on the CD in the file: isolinux.cfg
Lilo has to be updated with the lilo command, it's been so long since I've used it I can't remember how to do it.
If you've never done it, Google for "Linux LILO" & see how to go about adding a new O.S. to the lilo boot menu.

MU

#3 Post by MU »

You must run
su
/sbin/lilo

in Mandriva after you edited lilo.conf.
There were 2-3 threads here in the past, but I think noone succeeded yet in booting Puppy with lilo, no idea, why.

If you fail, you could install grub instead of lilo in the Mandriva Control Center, at least older versions supported that.
I had tried that before I had Puppy, and it worked.
I had a version that had lilo by default, but when I added new entries in the control-center, they were not used correctly (to boot Debian), so I chose Grub then, and everything worked as expected. But that might be machine-dependent.

Mark

rarsa

#4 Post by rarsa »

The wiki has some instructions for lilo. search pages for "HardDrive install" or something similar.
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

marksouth2000

#5 Post by marksouth2000 »

MU wrote:I think noone succeeded yet in booting Puppy with lilo
I had Puppy installed dual booting with Vector 5.1 and booting from Vector's LILO installation. Vector set it up automatically when it installed LILO. Worked fine.

I can't post the details because that install is history :)

Anyone who wants to know how Vector did it, install Puppy to HD, then install Vector to a different partition and tell it to set up LILO automatically....

hounddog2

LILO

#6 Post by hounddog2 »

Thank you for the info. I'll try setting up LILO with the info from isolinux.cfg and see what happens. If that doesn't work I'll switch to GRUB. Thanks again for the help.