Racy Puppy 5.2.2 Final, 18 Nov. 2011

Please post any bugs you have found
01micko

#41 Post by 01micko »

Hi Barry

I am in a bit of a break from Slacko dev for a few days so I thought I'd try Racy. My machine is an X2 3gig Athlon with nvidia forcedeth board, 2 G RAM, nvidia 8600gs PCIE video, so I figured racy should be good.

First, I got to the desktop and had an out of range res, my monitor is 1280x1024 max, the driver picked was vesa.

I tried the graphical xorgwizard and all it did was restart X.. this I think is due to the auto xorg.. when I was booting to desktop in slacko I forced a config file that when read prevented that from happening.

Next stop was to drop to a prompt and choose nouveau from xorgwizard, xwin and got a nice desktop. I got online no problem, rt73usb wireless,

Next stop was to see if I could get mesa, I get really good acceleration with nouveau in slacko and thought it would be likewise in racy but then it just crashed :( .. bunch of output on the console, doesn't mean much to me. If you want I can try and capture it, may be useful to you. Oh, the last word was "panic". I didn't.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

BarryK
Puppy Master

#42 Post by BarryK »

01micko wrote:Hi Barry

I am in a bit of a break from Slacko dev for a few days so I thought I'd try Racy. My machine is an X2 3gig Athlon with nvidia forcedeth board, 2 G RAM, nvidia 8600gs PCIE video, so I figured racy should be good.

First, I got to the desktop and had an out of range res, my monitor is 1280x1024 max, the driver picked was vesa.

I tried the graphical xorgwizard and all it did was restart X.. this I think is due to the auto xorg.. when I was booting to desktop in slacko I forced a config file that when read prevented that from happening.

Next stop was to drop to a prompt and choose nouveau from xorgwizard, xwin and got a nice desktop. I got online no problem, rt73usb wireless,

Next stop was to see if I could get mesa, I get really good acceleration with nouveau in slacko and thought it would be likewise in racy but then it just crashed :( .. bunch of output on the console, doesn't mean much to me. If you want I can try and capture it, may be useful to you. Oh, the last word was "panic". I didn't.

Cheers
Mick,
Racy already has the complete Mesa. There is nothing to add.

The wary5 repo did have an old mesa update PET, which was only appropriate for previous Wary releases. I have now removed that PET.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

01micko

#43 Post by 01micko »

I will point out that I only clicked the button to try to get a video upgrade .. told me I was fine actually and then for no apparent reason the system crashed, so it was unrelated to anything really (that I can pinpoint) .. just decided to die.. it happens.

If it's any consolation.. I just compiled 2.6.39.4 exactly to your instructions (plus some mods to config provided by tempestuous and pemasu), woofed up a slacko and it cant boot. May well be my HW and that kernel.. it didn't like 2.6.38.x either.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

BarryK
Puppy Master

#44 Post by BarryK »

Racy 5.1.101 (5.2 beta1) is out, see my blog announcement:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02510

Important note, I have not yet studied all of the earlier posts in this Forum thread, will do so soon. There are also some posts in the Wary thread that I have still to look into.

I wanted to get out the first beta for the upcoming Racy 5.2, as it seems to have reached sufficient maturity to be classified as a beta. Fingers crossed.

Lots of interesting things in it, bug fixes, well worth bringing out I reckon.

I want to take off a couple of days, which was another reason for bringing it out now. Today I will work on a couple of issues with this Racy. After my mini-break I intend to upload Woof and do a 5.2beta1 build of Wary.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Sage

#45 Post by Sage »

Is it worthwhile offering Tiny Racy in the future?
Ummm - yes, or rather no!
If Wary is still intended to target the real world beyond NYC, then a <=50Mb .iso would seem to be the best landfill panacea.
If you want to run with the lemmings and create a Racy for a minority of spoilt brats with too much cash that's a different matter. Perhaps you could write a textual overlay wallpaper suggesting that this group consider giving their fortunes to their starving fellow citizens instead of propping up greedy capitalists?

Volhout

mplayer fullscreen

#46 Post by Volhout »

Running Racy 5.1.101 from USB (frugal).

Athlon64 platform
Xorg/sound/eth0 all automatic and working correct. Nice !!
Flash downloaded (after prompt) and working.

Problem: Mplayer is not scaling up to fullscreen.
- when video window is maximized, then dual small video (1 frozen, one active playing ... see attached).
- when screen is maximized through control window then window maximizes, but only small video is shown.

Tried "xv" video output, but result is the same. Tried to start Xorgwizard to see if I can debug or improve, but does not work.
Select Xorgwizard via menu tries to start via cmd line, but crashes, and reverts back to X11 desktop.

Same bug on Core2Duo7500 PC.

Mplayer works correct on the same hardware in Wary 5.1.4.1

Volhout.
Attachments
mplayer fullscreen.png
mplayer video
(157.97 KiB) Downloaded 635 times
Last edited by Volhout on Thu 29 Sep 2011, 13:10, edited 1 time in total.

davids45

#47 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

Installed a frugal Racy-5.1.101 to my desk-top hard-drive copying files from mounted iso to a subdirectory (=manual install?).

Nice display using vesa driver. I have had problems with some debian/ubuntu-based radeon drivers but the racy vesa gives 1600x900, and the prompt for a save file before shutting down racy dodged any problem with loss of graphics from the radeon card/driver. I just need this in the lupu-based pups!

My loaded-at-boot sfs's run well (games, wine+programs, graphics, LibreOffice, etc). Internet (wired only) connected without delay.

I can also power-down this racy and not have the reboot-instead-of-power-down situation that this desktop has with slackos-b3 and newer, and with the previous racy (xxx.99).

Only problems I found worth noting:

1) mplayer can't do DTV like it used to?

2) tried to do a full install from the frugal using the universal installer and the racy files in /mnt/home/racy-5.1.101/ directory, but during the checking of the partitions on sda, I got the anonymous "sanity failure report" and failure to <Continue> with the full install past this. This hasn't been an issue with other recent Pups in creating a full install this way. There are some 'errors' on my hard drive partitions where they don't start and finish at some particular value, apparently a linux peculiarity?

Thanks,

David S.

L18L

Racy Puppy 5.1.101

#48 Post by L18L »

Frugal install on a SSD

1 bug
# defaultbrowser
/usr/local/bin/mozstart: line 12: exec: mozilla: not found

started browser by changing /usr/local/bin/mozstart:

Code: Select all

#[ "$COMTAIL" = "" ] && exec mozilla #v3.94
[ "$COMTAIL" = "" ] && /usr/lib/seamonkey-2.3.2/seamonkey # quick and dirty hack

1 success
OPENCHROME driver used out of the box :)

Xorg.0.log
[ 688.476] Freed 12587008 (pool 1)
[ 688.476] (--) CHROME(0): Using SSE YUV42X copy for video.
[ 688.476] (WW) CHROME(0): [XvMC] XvMC is not supported on this chipset.
[ 688.477] (WW) CHROME(0): Option "PreferredMode" is not used
[ 688.477] (II) CHROME(0): - Done
[ 688.477] (**) RandR enabled
[ 688.477] (II) Initializing built-in extension Generic Event Extension
Thank you :)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#49 Post by Lobster »

Did a graphic card update but could not play an avi vid in double size or full screen.
Sorry Barry - only just seen this . . .
Basically (from what I remember) there is an extra drivers video wizard
available from wizard wizard (the master wizard) and I used that.

Beta 1 incidentally went to desktop, connected to Ethernet, played sound and video OK after the initial start up questions. I also looked to find what you had left out - I could not see any glaring omissions. So this is a great smaller Puppy for lean and mean modernity . . .
Put a link on the wiki
Hope others will be impressed with this 'retro sized' Puppy :)

I have to mention styling. Stark I like, a lot. Partly because it would work great on a future tablet . . .
However some of the icons are variations on a circle that make no obvious differentiation.

The shut down sequence went to a black screen (that needs to be confirmed by others) 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

L18L

Racy Puppy 5.1.101 (5.2 beta1)

#50 Post by L18L »

Lobster wrote:...
The shut down sequence went to a black screen (that needs to be confirmed by others) 8)
Cannot confirm this. For me shutdown was expected behavior (last message on console translated) 8)
L

raffy

eMachines D443 AMD Fusion E-350

#51 Post by raffy »

Booting via USB with no parameter in eMachines D443 AMD Fusion E-350 (with Radeon HD 6310). Xvesa has 1366x768 resolution. The screen blanks when idle but backlight is still on.

Broadcom BCM 4313 wireless has no loaded driver.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

L18L

#52 Post by L18L »

installed ymount in Racy 5.1.101, no go

Found the reason: missing image gtk-harddisk
used in

yad --image="gtk-harddisk" 

# yad --image="gtk-harddisk"
Segmentation fault
# 
No idea where these gtk images are located normally.
And hope it was not intended to leave them off.

Billtoo

#53 Post by Billtoo »

Running from DVD+RW.
Thu 29 Sep 2011 Operating System: Racy Puppy-5.1.101 Linux 2.6.39.4
0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 1082 (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA product: GF110 Board - 12630002 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nouveau
X.Org version: 1.11.0
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (507x285 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU
Core 0: 1600 1: 1600 2: 1600 3: 1600 4: 1600 5: 1600 6: 1600 7: 1600 MHz

Computer
Processor 8x Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Memory 16613MB (152MB used)

HD 1080p videos play fullscreen perfectly at youtube.com,hardware
acceleration is not working so games that require it don't work.

mavrothal

Re: Racy Puppy 5.1.101

#54 Post by mavrothal »

L18L wrote: OPENCHROME driver used out of the box :)
Which VIA(?) chipset is that on?
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

L18L

Re: Racy Puppy 5.1.101

#55 Post by L18L »

mavrothal wrote:
L18L wrote: OPENCHROME driver used out of the box :)
Which VIA(?) chipset is that on?
VIA C7-D Processor 1500MHz
Board Name CN896-8237S, via.com.tw
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=71651

scsijon

racy101

#56 Post by scsijon »

1/ Bootup went well on all my boxes, including the most troublesome, to a lovely puppy screen. Well Done! The oldest, however, even though it was ok via a cd start, kernal panic'd when booted via grub from a hard drive. Will investigate further and update here when I have something to add. EDIT: Existing statement stands, from a cd it works, from grub, i'm getting a kernal panic................!damn!

2/ I can't seem to install using Puppy Universal Installer onto anything, get to the continue/quit screen and it quits everytime. But it works if I just copy the files from the cd across, to give me a frugal install. Getting a Sanity Check Screen error in all cases, it talks about a readonly partition, even though I haven't told it which one I want it to install into!

3/ First shutdown (yellow screens) ?have a problem? >on the First Shutdown : Get Ready Screen we have some code visable on the left side, it's "${T_yesno3}" EDIT: message below from L18L fixes the problem, thanks.

4/ I have a savefile problem for you!
I usually clone a duplicate install onto a second partition so I can "play" with one while keeping the other pristine for both comparison and cleanup. ie the content of /sda1/racy101 is copied to /sda2/racy101. They each contain the same named savefile and have their own menu lines in grub.
Normally when I boot one of the two up I get a "select list" asking me to pick which savefile to use, but not in this case, it's using the first from /sda1/racy101 in all cases unless I change the name of the savefile in one of them. It seems / looks like that racy101 can't diferentiate between savefile partitions if the directories are the same name.

and (for now) :wink:
5/ resizing a save file is taking much longer than before, nearly twice as long in fact in all cases.

regards
scsijon
updated
Last edited by scsijon on Mon 03 Oct 2011, 04:53, edited 1 time in total.

Volhout

save file

#57 Post by Volhout »

Running Racy 5.1.101 from USB stick. Used universal installer to create stick from iso. Selected "Puppy linux, Wary" in universal installer.

I see the opposite from "scsijon". I have a single save file on the stick. None of the HD's on the PC are mounted, and I keep getting a question at bootup "which save file to use".

0 none
1 sdb1 /racysave.2fs
2 sdb1 /racysave.2fs

Option 1 and 2 are identical however.... And there is only 1 save file on sdb1.

Volhout

Sage

#58 Post by Sage »

Great wallpaper!
Confirm "Cannot display this resolution" - default set too high for the average punter, but no issue with drivers after CTL-ALT-BKSPCE/xorgwiz. Why not try a Midori swap now?!
Otherwise, everything working well.

raffy

Re: save file

#59 Post by raffy »

Volhout wrote:I have a single save file on the stick. None of the HD's on the PC are mounted, and I keep getting a question at bootup "which save file to use".

0 none
1 sdb1 /racysave.2fs
2 sdb1 /racysave.2fs

Option 1 and 2 are identical however.... And there is only 1 save file on sdb1.

Volhout
Yes, that happened to me, too, with sdb1 a flash disk from which Racy booted. Also, at save time, Racy saves only to the media from which it booted, not where it found the pup.sfs (it was in a subdirectory in hard disk sda3).

I was able to install vlc and qt4 using the package manager, so now I can play video at full screen, which MPlayer can't do (in this eMachines AMD Fusion E-350 laptop).
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

gcmartin

Reporting RACY on X2 4GB

#60 Post by gcmartin »

The system used for testing in a 4GB RAM AMD X2 which will run both 32/64bit OS.

The MB has 2 LAN adapters. This system uses ETH1 (NOT ETH0) for its wire LAN service connection and I have alway configued it this way as I use ETH0 for a completely different system mission...always have. So, there is NO LAN cable plugged in ETH0 AND there IS A LAN CABLE present in ETH/u].
RACY is ID'ing all 4GB RAM for the Puppy Filesystem as expected. Thank you very much.
I also attached a system report so where you could see, first-hand, the RACY system.

In accordance with some of what I think you;re after, I have categorized issues as High Impact and Little Impact in terms of it affect on a user.

High Impact
  • System has 2 LAN ethernet adapters via the motherboard. But, system does not autodetect the 2nd adapter where DHCP server would assign LAN-WAN services. This system does NOT have a cable in eth0; only eth1. All 64bit Pups have solved this. And, I believe it MAY (I don't remember) be solved in both Puppy 5.25 and Slacko.
  • To set the hostname is still a problem any puppy that does NOT include Shinorbar's tool "Personalize Settings". When hostname is changed to assign a meaningful name to the PC, all of Puppy's fields are not updated. All systems that ship with Shinobar's Personalize Settings can assign a menaingful name and ALL Puppy fields are updated via the utility without any user knowledge about Linux and Linux fields, necessary.
Little Impact
Menu shows 2 new additions which assist our reporting to you. Namely Report-Videon-GLX and Sys-Info.
But the Menu references preceed them with the word "LightHouse ...". To avoid any confusion by the user community, the word LightHouse probably could be removed for clariy. I do understand, though, that you are trying to make clear that TaZOC has contributed these items.

This system is really turning out to be a GEM. I will test on the lower RAM - lower CPU powered systems as soon as I return.

Hope this helps
Attachments
System-Report.txt.tar.gz
An additional report on RACY with Hardinfo Performance measurements.
(6.15 KiB) Downloaded 511 times
sys-info-110929.gz
System Report
(10.97 KiB) Downloaded 507 times