Lose Glipper icon in taskbar

Using applications, configuring, problems
tytower

Lose Glipper icon in taskbar

#1 Post by tytower »

With 5.28

After D/L of Firefox 5 I loose the Glipper icon in the tray .On boot it shows up for a second then the tray does a refresh and the icon is gone .

I don't seem to be able to get it back?

666philb

#2 Post by 666philb »

hi tytower

see if this works....
navigate to /usr/local/bin/ and then drag and drop 'glipper' to /root/startup/ and choose 'link relative' from the options that pop up.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

Luluc

#3 Post by Luluc »

That has been happening to me for a long time, I just don't know when/why it started and if it has anything to do with Firefox.

tytower

#4 Post by tytower »

I did as 666philb suggested saved and rebooted but to no avail

magerlab

#5 Post by magerlab »

I notice this happens every time fbpanel refreshes
so i use parcelite instead

tytower

#6 Post by tytower »

I just kept fiddling.
By using PupControl from the menu/utility i went to Manager and clicked on and off the Clipboard icon and up it came !

Whether it stays or not is another thing but I did a pupsave and a backup copy at that point so heres hoping

disciple

#7 Post by disciple »

I'm curious:
1. Do you have glipper-lite, or the old version of glipper? (I can't see any version in the 5.x repositories).
2. How is glipper being started? Is it by code like this in ~/.xinitrc?

Code: Select all

[ -f /root/.glipper_on ] && glipper &
I don't know why glipper would be disappearing, but I suspect it would be solved if there was a delay at startup before it is run. I think 666philb is correct that starting it via /root/startup/ would introduce a delay.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

tytower

#8 Post by tytower »

glipper 0.89

I am not familiar enough with Puppy to find the xinitrc file. Where exactly would it be ? I do not see it in my ~/ directory?

The above fix to bring back the taskbar icon only lasts the session and must be done each boot.

I did as suggested above so now I suppose its started by the above procedure . Usually when you leave them on in the task bar they start auto at boot and this one does so as I can see the icon on first boot but then it disappears on what seems to be a refresh of the taskbar

And YES it does it every time I do a fbpanel refresh ! It disappears !

Thanks to the posters , at least now I can get it when I need it

disciple

#9 Post by disciple »

Usually when you leave them on in the task bar they start auto at boot and this one does
FWIW nothing can autostart at boot depending on whether it was running at shutdown (although it could if Puppy and it supported session management). One of the startup scripts needs to start it. In the case of glipper, .xinitrc starts it depending on whether or not /root/.glipper_on exists. Try right-clicking on glipper and closing it. It will still start next time you boot.

Back to your problem - I might install fbpanel to try to see if it is a problem with fbpanel or with glipper.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#10 Post by disciple »

OK, I haven't tried fbpanel, but I've realised if I exit then restart jwm (without exiting X) that also kills glipper(-lite).

So:
1) glipper should be improved so that it survives if the tray disappears. Some more work on glipper-lite is maybe no. 3 on my software todo list, so I'll see if I can sort that out.

2) Presumably fbpanel does not really support refreshing (e.g. to update the menu). Can anyone confirm which of these two options is the case?:
a) fbpanel has a restart command similar to jwm, or
b) fbpanel is being restarted by a script someone has put in Puppy (perhaps as a side effect of a script designed to kill it and then restart it to update the menu). I don't see why you would want to refresh the panel immediately after opening it, so maybe try to stop that.
magerlab wrote:I notice this happens every time fbpanel refreshes
Does fbpanel refresh by itself? Or do you have to refresh it manually?
Much as I prefer glipper, I'd have to say magerlab's suggestion is easiest - try the latest version of parcellite instead.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

boolean

#11 Post by boolean »

That how i fixed this problem for Glipper and Truecrypt:
i changed this in /usr/sbin/pfbpanel: what's between ########

killall vattery
  killall powerapplet_tray
#################################  
  [ -f /root/.glipper_on ] && killall glipper
  [ -f /root/.TrueCrypt-lock-root ] && kill $(pgrep /usr/bin/truecrypt) 
#################################  
  #now kill and restart the panel...
  killall fbpanel
  fbpanel &
  sleep 1
  [ "`which freememapplet_tray`" != "" ] && freememapplet_tray &
  [ -f /root/Startup/freememapplet_tray ] && /root/Startup/freememapplet_tray & #100518
  sleep 0.1
  [ "`which blinky_tray`" != "" ] && blinky_tray &
  [ -f /root/Startup/network_tray ] && /root/Startup/network_tray & #100518
  sleep 0.1
#################################  #################################
  [ -f /root/.glipper_on ] && glipper &
  sleep 0.1
  [ -f /root/.TrueCrypt-lock-root ] && /usr/bin/truecrypt &
  sleep 0.1
#################################  #################################
  if [ "`which retrovol`" != "" ];then
   if [ "`retrovol -help 2>&1 | grep '\-show'`" != "" ];then
Last edited by boolean on Mon 03 Oct 2011, 12:43, edited 2 times in total.

disciple

#12 Post by disciple »

disciple wrote:OK, I haven't tried fbpanel, but I've realised if I exit then restart jwm (without exiting X) that also kills glipper(-lite).

So:
1) glipper should be improved so that it survives if the tray disappears. Some more work on glipper-lite is maybe no. 3 on my software todo list, so I'll see if I can sort that out.
It turns out I reported exactly the same issue with exactly the same messages for retrovol, and Pizzasgood fixed it in version 0.6. So I guess it should be possible to apply essentially the same fix. I think I might have some time Thursday night to find the place to apply it.

(glipper:27370): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid unclassed pointer in cast to `GtkWidget'

(glipper:27370): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_get_display: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(glipper:27370): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_x11_display_get_xdisplay: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed

(glipper:27370): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid unclassed pointer in cast to `GtkWidget'

(glipper:27370): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_get_display: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(glipper:27370): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_xid_table_lookup_for_display: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
Segmentation fault
http://puppylinux.svn.sourceforge.net/v ... athrev=141

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

tytower

#13 Post by tytower »

In the interim I can report boolean's change worked for me atm.
file was in /usr/sbin in Puppy 5.28
Thanks

disciple

#14 Post by disciple »

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

tytower

#15 Post by tytower »

disciple wrote:
disciple wrote:OK, I haven't tried fbpanel, but I've realised if I exit then restart jwm (without exiting X) that also kills glipper(-lite).

So:
It turns out I reported exactly the same issue with exactly the same messages for retrovol, and Pizzasgood fixed it in version 0.6. So I guess it should be possible to apply essentially the same fix. I think I might have some time Thursday night to find the place to apply it.

(glipper:27370): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_x11_display_get_xdisplay: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed

(glipper:27370): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_xid_table_lookup_for_display: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
Segmentation fault
http://puppylinux.svn.sourceforge.net/v ... athrev=141
Guess this is just another fall by the wayside fix , not worth the paper its written on.
Probably why it still isn't fixed in the latest version.

When I was at my busiest I had a foolscap pad witth everything I had to do written on it immediately it came up.
When I did it I crossed it off. From time to time I would transpose the undone things to a new list.
Best system ever , I never forgot to do anything. It ran to 4 full pages sometimes!

disciple

#16 Post by disciple »

What on earth are you talking about?

It is fixed in glipper-lite.
The same problem was fixed in retrovol a long time ago.
What "latest version" are you talking about? Glipper, or retrovol? Where did you get it from? Obviously not from the right place...

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

tytower

#17 Post by tytower »

Puppy 5.28

disciple

#18 Post by disciple »

Please try to be a bit more communicative.
5.2.8 was released in August, so it couldn't possibly include the fixed glipper-lite, which I have made since then.
Is it retrovol that you are complaining about? I would have expected 5.2.8 to include the version that was current at the time.

Or are you just complaining that it doesn't include my gtkbuilder version of glipper-lite?
I believe some people who build Puppies include it (not the latest one with the fix for this issue of course), but others use the old version for some reason which I don't understand.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

tytower

#19 Post by tytower »

Where do you get off with this "complaint " bit?
I'm not complaining . You made a statement that you were going to do something.
So I guess it should be possible to apply essentially the same fix. I think I might have some time Thursday night to find the place to apply it.
You do not appear to have done that .
I merely make that observation and offer a remedy for convenient memory loss- the notepad.

tytower

#20 Post by tytower »

As an update it does not seem to be a problem with 5.3 Slacko