minimum profit text editor

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
technosaurus

minimum profit text editor

#1 Post by technosaurus »

A gtk text editor with highlighting for programmers
Features
* Fully scriptable using a C-like scripting language.
* Unlimited undo levels.
* Complete Unicode support.
* Multiple files can be edited at the same time and blocks copied and pasted among them.
* Syntax highlighting for many popular languages / file formats: C, C++, Perl, Shell Scripts, Ruby, Php, Python, HTML...
* Creative use of tags: tags created by the external utility ctags are used to move instantaneously to functions or variables inside your current source tree. Tags are visually highlighted (underlined), and symbol completion can be triggered to avoid typing your own function names over and over.
* Intelligent help system: pressing F1 over any word of a text being edited triggers the underlying system help (calling man when editing C or Shell files, perldoc with Perl, ri on Ruby, winhelp on MS Windows...).
* Understandable interface: drop-down menus, reasonable default key bindings.
* Configurable keys, menus and colors.
* Text templates can be easily defined / accessed.
* Multiplatform: Console/curses, KDE4, GTK+, MS Windows.
* Automatic indentation, word wrapping, internal grep, learning / repeating functions.
* Spellchecking support (via the ispell package).
* Multilingual.
* Password-protected, encrypted text files (using the ARCFOUR algorithm).
* It helps you abandon vi, emacs and other six-legged freaks definitely.
Edit: forgot to mention: I compiled this in wary-094 and patched the UI to have the document tabs on the same line as the menus and to give a popup menu to select files with a right click (better use of screen space for netbooks etc...) - I'll post the patch ASAP - already sent 1 patch upstream to Angel Ortega. Check out his site (triptico.com) There are lots of gems there.
Attachments
mp-5.2.0-i486.pet
(87.55 KiB) Downloaded 471 times
mp_NLS-5.2.0-i486.pet
(45.91 KiB) Downloaded 417 times
mp_DOC-5.2.0-i486.pet
(149.1 KiB) Downloaded 434 times
mp-5.1.4-i486.pet
(128.84 KiB) Downloaded 544 times
mp_screen.png
(55.71 KiB) Downloaded 2686 times
Last edited by technosaurus on Tue 04 Oct 2011, 05:53, edited 6 times in total.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

enhu

#2 Post by enhu »

thanks to this.. :D

technosaurus

#3 Post by technosaurus »

with nicoedit going away, I thought I would post a new gtk version of mp (it is the same size as the console version, but supports both gtk and ncurses)

from Angel's site @ triptico.com

Code: Select all

Minimum Profit 5.2.0 released

I've just released version 5.2.0 of the Minimum Profit Text Editor. It features the following:

* New actions:
          o filter_selection: to filter the selection (or the full document if no selection is done) through a system command.
          o exec_action: that shows a list of actions to execute on the current document.
          o cut_lines_with_string: that cuts to the clipboard all lines in a document or block that matches a regular expression.
          o insert_real_tab: bound to shift-tab, to insert a tab character (\t) regardless of whatever is set in the tabs_as_spaces configuration variable.
          o insert_next_item: to insert a new enumeration item in a document. 
    * Bugfixes:
          o Fixed insert / overwrite mode.
          o If a selection is invisible (incomplete or with the start and end in the same character), a new keystroke does not jump to it. 
    * New configuration options:
          o mp.config.hw_cursor: to activate the hardware cursor in text environments (disabled by default). 
    * Text user interface improvements:
          o File opening list is fully navegable (directories up and down),
          o Selection lists accept letter keys to jump to elements,
          o If a text mode menu panel do not fit vertically on the screen, menu items are scrolled as needed. 
    * New command line options:
          o -txt: force text mode (instead of GUI). 
    * General improvements:
          o If a block is selected, actions word_wrap_paragraph, join_paragraph and eval_doc act only on it.
          o The internal engine has been partly rewritten, so it requires less memory and it's a bit faster. 
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

seaside

#4 Post by seaside »

technosaurus,

Thanks for bringing this editor. It has a nice clean interface and many handy features.

One feature of Geany that I like is the "set custom commands" feature which allows you to send the current selection in geany to any outside system command (script) and the output of that command script replaces the current selection.

It's very handy for text processing - boxing text areas, CamelCasing, awking, etc.

I see some possible commands in mp (exec_action, exec_command, and filter_selection) for processing text, but nothing seems to actually replace the current selection.

Perhaps one could code this using the MPSL (Minimum Profit Scripting Language) or maybe I just missed how this is done.

Regards,
s

technosaurus

#5 Post by technosaurus »

Mp seems to have the same capability (i haven't used it), but the one thing keeping me from using it regularly instead of geany, is the lack of code folding (this is a personal coding style issue)
It does have some unique features though. Encryption, hex editor, mpsl scripting... ultra-portability (any system with curses, qt, gtk, or kde ... I use the old gtk1 version on my geode boxes)

BTW has anyone figured out the maze.mpsl? Sounds cool.

Some features require tools that aren't standard in puppy...ex:
Spellcheck requires ispell
Command help uses man and perldoc.
Probably more that I don't know of.