Adding a pre-amp to Alsamixer? (Solved with script)

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
Disco Makberto

Adding a pre-amp to Alsamixer? (Solved with script)

#1 Post by Disco Makberto »

Hello, e-group!

I have read that it is possible to add a pre-amp (pre-amplifier) to Alsamixer in order to boost/increase/amplify the default maximum volume of 100% so as to, obviously, go over 100% in volume. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to achieve this. Thus, does anybody of you know how to do this in Puppy Linux? I am using Puppy Linux 4.3.2 (based on 4.3.1).

On a related note, I have also read that increasing volume is also possible with PulseAudio, but it appears that going the Alsamixer route is easier. So please let's try Alsamixer first....though, as last resort, I wouldn't disregard PulseAudio.

Carlos Albert
D-Makberto

P.S.: Sorry, I think that I posted to the wrong forum. So, moderators, please move the message accordingly. Again, please excuse me.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

This forum is as good as any. I don't know the answer to your question, but a program called Retrovol may help.

Disco Makberto

#3 Post by Disco Makberto »

Hey, Flash!

Thanks for your support.

Retrovol comes as default on Puppy 4.3.2 "Puppy 4 Forever". Unluckily, Retrovol doesn't go over the 100% volume maximum.

Carlos Albert
D-Makberto

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Are you trying to solve a problem such as low max volume, or are you just fooling around? :)

Disco Makberto

#5 Post by Disco Makberto »

Flash, this is actually possible, even system-wide. A pre-amp to Alsamixer or a configuration on PulseAudio do the trick, at least this has been reported, though on other distros and not on Puppy Linux. The problem arises when one has a sound file (or video file for that matter) that is too low even at full 100% volume level. Of course, normalization and stuff can be applied, but adding a pre-amp to Alsamixer is easier and faster, at least as a temporary solution.

Now that I think about it, please let me give you one of the links dealing with this pre-amp issue:

http://tinyurl.com/3pnmduu

Do you know how to do this on Puppy Linux? I tried, but I was unsuccessful.

Carlos Albert
D-Makberto

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

I think the difference between the line-in input and the mic input amounts to a pre-amp. Have you tried plugging the input into the mic jack to see what happens? You may have to mess around with the settings in Alsamixer to make it work right.

Disco Makberto

#7 Post by Disco Makberto »

Bingo!

I was finally able to add a script (mentioned on the link of a previous post) and install a pre-amp to alsamixer, and everything works as intended. Even so, I am not really convinced of the real value of this pre-amp. While the audio files that were low now have a louder sound becoming sort of "normal", this has introduced clipping to the audio files that had a normal volume beforehand. I have played a little bit with different parameters, but I still haven't been able to find the "sweet spot" by virtue of which most everything are supposed to be acceptable, and frankly, I don't know if it would be possible. One way or another, I will report back once I take a final decision.

For the interests of those who might benefit with it, here's how you do it in Puppy Linux:

First, open Geany (Menu -> Document -> Geany text editor). Then, add the following:

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "softvol"
}

pcm.softvol {
type softvol
slave {
pcm "dmix"
}
control {
name "Pre-Amp"
card 0
}
min_dB -5.0
max_dB 20.0
resolution 6
}

Afterwards, save this script, name it asound.conf , and place it inside the etc directory (click on the File icon on desktop and look for etc folder). Next, re-start the Alsa sound wizard (Menu -> Setup -> Alsa sound Wizard) and follow instructions. Finally, to see the new pre-amp, open Alsamixer (Menu -> Multimedia -> Alsamixer audio mixer). And to control it, use the right arrow key on your keyboard and, once on the pre-amp, use the up or down arrow keys to change values.

Carlos Albert
D-Makberto

Disco Makberto

#8 Post by Disco Makberto »

Hi, again! I have decided to use VLC as such can control volume up to 200% and can be used with specific files only and not system-wide. Notwithstanding, for those of you who, for instance, have an overall low volume as is the case with some laptops, I am sure that adding a pre-amp to alsamixer could be indeed useful.

Carlos Albert
D-Makberto