How to use a Lexmark Prevail Pro705 in Lupu 528?

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
popguy

How to use a Lexmark Prevail Pro705 in Lupu 528?

#1 Post by popguy »

Hi! I have 5.2.8 lupu installed. Everything works out pretty much out of the box, really a great O.S. I have just bought a Lexmark P700 printer, and configured wifi. Works fine on my ubuntu machine. I am trying to configure it on my Lupu machine. The driver package is based on deb, so i unpacked it and ru the .sh file to start configuration. Everything seems to be working fine, until i get the message:

"The installer has detected that the system has no installed CUPS. Please install CUPS and run the installer again."

I have read somewhere in the forum that cups 1.4 can be a little tedious with lupu, so i followed the suggestion to downgrade to cups 1.3.11, and the older ghostscript, which i installed too. However, the problem persists. Any suggestions? thanks!

rcrsn51

Re: cups and printing

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

popguy wrote:Hi! I have 5.2.8 lupu installed. Everything works out pretty much out of the box, really a great O.S. I have just bought a Lexmark P700 printer, and configured wifi. Works fine on my ubuntu machine. I am trying to configure it on my Lupu machine. The driver package is based on deb..
Please state the exact model name of your Lexmark - is it a P70x, a Pro70x or something else? Also provide a link to the driver package you are using.
I have read somewhere in the forum that cups 1.4 can be a little tedious with lupu, so i followed the suggestion to downgrade to cups 1.3.11, and the older ghostscript, which i installed too. However, the problem persists. Any suggestions? thanks!
As the instructions here state, downgrading CUPS will almost never solve a driver problem. But did you read the section about Lexmark printers?

popguy

Re: cups and printing

#3 Post by popguy »

It's a Prevail pro705.

here's a link to the driver package (which you need to unpack, edit the run.lua, correct a spelling mistake in line 1476, save then run the .sh installer)

http://support.lexmark.com/index?segmen ... age=null#1

yep, i had read about downgrading not solving, but i wanted to give it a go anyway, it looked as though the problem was more related to not finding cups, rather than a specific driver missing.

If there's no way to install this driver, (which i do believe is best also because it should make the scanner work too), i'll surely check out the lexmark section.

Is there a way to reinstall cups 1.4?

Thank you so much for your help!

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

Deleted. See below.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Wed 05 Oct 2011, 10:41, edited 1 time in total.

popguy

#5 Post by popguy »

rcrsn51 wrote:Here is a printer/scanner PET for your Pro705. Please provide feedback.
Thanks so much for your help, rcrsn51. Unfortunately, it looks as things still need to be worked upon. I installed the pet you gave me but during installation it said i would find it the desktop menu, but i found nothing there. So I configured the printer using cups (which is now the 1.3.11 version), then jetdirect on the 9100 port, using the 700 series ppd file i found in /usr/local/lexmark/legacy/etc. However, when i ask it to print a test page, it pulls out a sheet from the tray, prints nothing, and puts it on the printed pages tray. Could this be related to my downgraded version of cups? if so, do you have any idea on how to reinstall the 1.4 version? any suggestion on how to configure the scanner via my network?

thank you!

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

As a test, connect the printer by USB and let CUPS auto-detect it. You shouldn't need to hunt for the PPD file - it should be in the Models list under Lexmark. Was it not there?

[Edit] The Lexmark download is a Debian package and I may not have converted it properly. There are some unconventional things about it. I will try again.

rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is the rebuilt Lexmark driver: lexmark_inkjet_legacy-1.0.1.pet

To test this properly, it would help if you:
1. Started a new install with CUPS 1.4
2. Connected the printer by USB

This package also has a scanner driver that you can test with Xsane.

popguy

#8 Post by popguy »

Thanks so much! i am now a happy lexmark printer! it works fine with my network settings. i did install cups 1.4.4 before. Will try the scanner too. really thanks so much for your help!

rcrsn51

#9 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent! Please explain how you did the CUPS networked install. Did you use the socket:// protocol or the Lexmark backend?

popguy

#10 Post by popguy »

socket on the 9100 port, works ok for me. thanks again!

rcrsn51

#11 Post by rcrsn51 »

I'm surprised that it's that easy. Your Lexmark uses the CUPS backend

Code: Select all

/usr/lib/cups/backend/lxhcp
which usually means that the driver wants to talk to the printer through the backend, not through a third-party protocol like socket.

Does scanning work as a USB device? Most manufacturers set up network scanning with an extra step where you tell the driver the IP address of the scanner. But I can't see anywhere to do that with your Lexmark.

popguy

#12 Post by popguy »

I still haven't tried my scanning as a usb device, (i'm fiddling with my lupu laptop inbetween work). However, xsane doesn't seem to handle network scanning (only scsi, parallel or USB) i'm pretty convinced that i could try set up the scanning via my usb and have it up working. However, i'm a little more concerned on having it running through my network. What would you suggest ?

thx!

rcrsn51

#13 Post by rcrsn51 »

Manufacturers have two approaches to network scanning. Either they provide their own scanning app that is network aware. Or they modify the USB backend so it can find the remote scanner. I have set up network scanning in Puppy with HP, Epson, Brother and Canon machines.

But like I said, I can't find anything in the docs that come with your Lexmark about how to do this.

The Debian installer also has a Java based toolkit app. I left it out because it looked too big and too difficult to implement in Puppy. You might have to install your Pro 705 in an Ubuntu to see how it is supposed to work.

popguy

#14 Post by popguy »

yes, i have the scanner working fine on my ubuntu machine. Thanks for all your support, you've really helped me out.

rcrsn51

#15 Post by rcrsn51 »

popguy wrote:yes, i have the scanner working fine on my ubuntu machine.
Do you mean networked? Are you scanning with Xsane?

Can you tell from the Ubuntu settings how to get it working in Puppy?

popguy

#16 Post by popguy »

yes, it works fine, networked, on my ubuntu machine, XSANE is ok with it. I tried looking somewhere for settings, but really i don't have a clue of what to do to understand any further. Maybe lexmark's driver does all of it, but i really don't know how to look inside.

rcrsn51

#17 Post by rcrsn51 »

In Xsane, check File > Info. This will show you the device URI and the loaded backend.

Also, if you run the CUPS web interface at localhost:631, what URI does Ubuntu use with the printer? Is it also socket?

popguy

#18 Post by popguy »

yep,

vendor: Lexmark
Model: Pro700 series
device: libnet/0020008E77CE
Loaded backend: LexmarkLegacy_1_0_0

(my sane version is 1.0.22)

and in cups it says:

Description: Lexmark_Pro700_Series
Driver: Lexmark Pro700 Series, 1.0 (color, 2-sided printing)
Connection: lxhcp://0020008E77CE
Defaults: job-sheets=none, none media=iso_a4_210x297mm sides=two-sided-long-edge

sorry for late reply, but i do need to work inbetween threading ;-)

rcrsn51

#19 Post by rcrsn51 »

popguy wrote:device: libnet/0020008E77CE
Loaded backend: LexmarkLegacy_1_0_0
Try the following from the command line in Puppy

Code: Select all

xsane LexmarkLegacy_1_0_0:/libnet/0020008E77CE
Driver: Lexmark Pro700 Series, 1.0 (color, 2-sided printing)
Connection: lxhcp://0020008E77CE
In CUPS, try doing a manual install using the above URI. Pick LPD/LPR for the protocol.

popguy

#20 Post by popguy »

when i type

xsane LexmarkLegacy_1_0_0:/libnet/0020008E77CE

xsane says: "scanning for devices". After about 5 seconds an error window appears saying it failed to open the device LexmarkLegacy_1_0_0:/libnet/0020008E77CE, and that the operation is not supported.

In cups, do you mean i have to delete my printer (now with the socket setup) and reinstall it using LPD/LPR? or must i add a printer with LPD/LPR settings keeping this one with the socket settings?