Is Jemimah's original Puppeee still available?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
aarf

#21 Post by aarf »

rest of puppeee4.4rc2 is at http://www.datafilehost.com/download-113d9889.html
md5sums are inside the tar.gz

any queries or instruction ask

Donncha

#22 Post by Donncha »

Ta aarf! That was brilliant. Downloaded the 514 files and all cheksums matched. As I don’t want to turn my back on Jemimah completely I will give 44rc2 a walk in the park later today. However, you were absolutely right – I tried Luci001 and she is a peach (as distinct to a lemon)!! I tried her first live from a pen drive and was so delighted I went straight to a full install. Right out of the box she was perfect and obviously a girl and not a satanic 3 headed dog. Luci001 picked up my wireless signal and connected with no hazzle and also handshook with several of my neighbors’ weaker signals. She is working right out of the box and getting Skype and Firefox took minutes and a few more to set the desktop suitable for my kind of eyesight.

I owe you one – rather more than one I think :D

Don

Donncha

#23 Post by Donncha »

Hello Volhout and nooby! Yes you are right – Jemimah left some of us orphans!! I really miss her simple explications. Maybe Michael/Jemimah Ruhala might be in the Hillsborough County phone book but I for one would not feel happy about “simply making her a nice friendly phone call

nooby

#24 Post by nooby »

Then I sure trust your English and knowledge of how such texts should be taken.

We are all very different. I would have expected her to be more specific.

Guys have been good to know you and to partiticipate in teh forums
but due to personal circumstance I pull the plug now.

Download what you need and I shut down the server within a week and
please don't try to contact me I need private time and space now to
charge my batteries or some text that explicit. But we are all different.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Donncha

#25 Post by Donncha »

To my surprise I find I had saved some of Jemimah's howto tutorials. Like "Syslinux, Extlinux, Isolinux" and "This howto explains one way to install Puppeee, there are many other ways. This method is ideal for a small SSD."
I have uploaded them at http://www.datafilehost.com/download-0605c676.html if anyone wants to see them.
Thanks aarf for info re datafilehost - I had used DropSend before but it had a smaller limit size of 25 megs i seem to remember.
Don

tlchost

#26 Post by tlchost »

Donncha wrote: I have uploaded them at http://www.datafilehost.com/download-0605c676.html if anyone wants to see them.
I only saw the Easy way to do a frugal

Are there more?

Thanks

Thom

Donncha

#27 Post by Donncha »

Sorry Thom!
My ad hoc file got named that as it started with Jem's know how re Frugal and then I clipped/deleted other bits and bobs above or below it (Alternative Ways to Create a Bootable USB Stick or SD Card -- Understanding Bootloaders and the Puppeee Boot Sequence -- The Puppy Boot Sequence -- How to Dual-Boot Xandros and Puppeee without installing a New Bootloader -- How to boot fast -- some useful links etc). It was definitely not a copy of Jemimah's whole blog!! I hoped it might inspire other people to search their files to see if they had saved other gem's of wisdom. Surely someone saved her FAQs??!! I failed to get any results from the wayback machine despite the fact it visited puppeee.com 10 times in 2010/2011.
Don

tlchost

#28 Post by tlchost »

Donncha wrote: Surely someone saved her FAQs??!!
One would hope.

nooby

#29 Post by nooby »

I failed to get any results from the wayback machine despite the fact it visited puppeee.com 10 times in 2010/2011.
Where there not two such projects? one is the wayback machine that everybody seems to know how to use except Nooby :)

And there was some years ago some University that also wanted to create some kind of "museum" for old deleted sites? Could them hopefully have her FAQ saved? Or is there some other way to find it?

Not that I need it. I use pemasu's puppies instead of Jemimah's but him learned a lot from her using the RFKILL and such that few other Puppies
have. Jem are very good at such things so pemasu learned from her as I get it.

Maybe I misunderstood her text? I thought she was a freelance consultant and she took on jobs them asked her to do. Then she had plenty of time to work on her Puppeee then she got a regular job and traveling and boyfriend and pets took all of her time so she had to drop Puppeee?

Would be sad if she is totally out of job and live in her Van or something having no internet whatever. I am surprised she doesn't go to nearest Library with public computers and just log in and say Sorry guys I have to give priority to getting daily bread here and have no time to keep Puppeee up and going.

But maybe that was what she sad then in that latest message. She is a structured person and decided we don't have to know more than what she said there? My English fails to parse it though. Too cryptic for my poor brain. But integrity maybe comes in. None of our biz.

Is it not logical that Jemimah should have her own FAQ
on some computer she still owns somewhere? a back up file
she could just send us by visiting nearest local library?

tlchost

#30 Post by tlchost »

nooby wrote: I am surprised she doesn't go to nearest Library with public computers and just log in and say Sorry guys I have to give priority to getting daily bread here and have no time to keep Puppeee up and going.
Over the years I've seen all sorts of software die....and the developers have different ways of exiting the scene. Some take a vacation and return, others turn the project over to someone else, and a large number simply disappear.

If you search in the forums you will find threads where the developers spoke about their responsibility, or lack thereof, to the users.

http://www.archive.org/web/web.php is the Wayback machine....you can search for a site and hopefully find archives. The name comes from the Rocky and Bullwinkle series, where one feature was "Mr. Peabody's Wayback Machine"

rokytnji

Puppeee 4.4 iso

#31 Post by rokytnji »

Here is my Puppeee stuff.
Edit: They closed my Ubuntu one account

Lost my files there. I tried to recover them but Ubuntu cloud failed me.

If you need the celeron iso or docs.

http://rokytnji.minus.com/
Last edited by rokytnji on Wed 27 Aug 2014, 22:13, edited 2 times in total.

darkcity

#32 Post by darkcity »

the puppeee site hosted alot of useful pets like filezilla-
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/FileZilla

maybe Puppeee and pets archive could be made on ibibilio.org ?

tlchost

Fluppy/Puppee Forum

#33 Post by tlchost »

I've created a forum for Fluppy, Puppee and other abandoned puppys at
http://puppylinux.us

Please feel to register there and share.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Thom

rokytnji

Re: Fluppy/Puppee Forum

#34 Post by rokytnji »

tlchost wrote:I've created a forum for Fluppy, Puppee and other abandoned puppys at
http://puppylinux.us

Please feel to register there and share.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Thom
Clicking link only gave me The window below and no button for sign in or register Thom.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
Maybe I am missing something?
(25.42 KiB) Downloaded 468 times

tlchost

Re: Fluppy/Puppee Forum

#35 Post by tlchost »

rokytnji wrote: licking link only gave me The window below and no button for sign in or register Thom.
Sigh.....
http://puppylinux.us/wayback/

aarf

#36 Post by aarf »

with thanks to russoodle for providing hosting.

no guarantees. haven't got the connection speed to do checking atm.

http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/ ... eleron.zip

md5sum 8e2fb314709531292c14401618c821db puppeee4.4-RC2celeron.zip

nooby

#37 Post by nooby »

I think of that guy that started the puppe site with one less e???
Her name was puppeee and his was one or two shorter?
Them kind of competed? Would him not have all the documentation on his server then? or at least him ahve it at his home on some hdd? as a backup? Should we not ask him now if the way back machines fails at it.

I don't get it. Jemimah who always are so organized and really structured would she not have the documentation on a back up somewhere?

I mean would not be like her to just trust the hosing service to have a back up of it. Those can get flooded or burned down or get bankrupsy whatever so she should have a back up?

Okay we should not make her a phone call such can be embarrassing and to be too close to her home. But a nice friendly email or PM would that not work?

tlchost

#38 Post by tlchost »

nooby wrote: I don't get it. Jemimah who always are so organized and really structured would she not have the documentation on a back up somewhere?
Sometimes when someone walks away from a project...they really walk.
At this point we might conclude that if Jemimah wanted Puppeee and Fluppy to survive, she would have done something other than have the website devoid of content.

One could try emailing the contacts for the domain listed at:

http://network-tools.com/default.asp?pr ... uppeee.com

2lss

#39 Post by 2lss »

Anyone have a link to the 4.4 rc2 devx? (i.e. 514 devx)

The link at the top of the page is for the 4.3 series.

jemimah

#40 Post by jemimah »

Honestly, I just ran out of enthusiasm for the project. Working on it started to feel like a real chore. It got to the point where I just couldn't do it anymore. The website when down because I stopped paying the bill. I guess I felt quite guilty for not maintaining it and deleting the spam, and it was bringing me down emotionally. Also I dropped/broke a couple of my netbooks and that made me sad. I never use any of them anymore (because I need to carry the big honker for my current work engagement) so that's why development stopped. Also I get the impression that the market has largely moved on to tablets. If I were to start any new projects, I'd need to be excited about the hardware.

Also, during most of the development of Puppeee my day job was not very time consuming or intellectually stimulating. I needed something to keep me from losing IQ points. However, that situation has changed (for the better). I'm not sure what will happen with my job this year - but I think I will stay challenging. I did my first gig as implementation (BMC) tech lead for the past six months. Really, this is the first time in my career that I've felt even remotely challenged.

I do regret just letting the website expire without warning and I apologize for that. I was simply trying to get rid of some of my own emotional baggage and acted impulsively.