Juno Dialup Access Client Software

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Wolf Pup

Juno Dialup Access Client Software

#1 Post by Wolf Pup »

i forgot to announce this for a few months, so...

Note: Needs java.

juno.pet
md5sum

Link to java.
[img]http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8595/ubd6467dp2.png[/img]
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/54tu74]Visit The Repository[/url] - Helpful and hard-to-find treats for Puppy 3.
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/c5a68f]Click Here for Puppy Support Chat, + Helpful Links.[/url]

Roy

#2 Post by Roy »

Wolf Pup,

I am not in a position to try this now, but is this kernel-dependent or will this work on any Puppy?

-Roy

Wolf Pup

#3 Post by Wolf Pup »

should work on any.
[img]http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8595/ubd6467dp2.png[/img]
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/54tu74]Visit The Repository[/url] - Helpful and hard-to-find treats for Puppy 3.
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/c5a68f]Click Here for Puppy Support Chat, + Helpful Links.[/url]

Roy

#4 Post by Roy »

Thanks, Wolf Pup. I have used Netzero dial up (different OS) in the past, but Juno is about the same. In fact, I think they are both owned by the same company now -- or somehow linked in the business world.

At any rate, dial up is dial up, and I will be trying this out when I next hit the States.

Thank you for posting it!

-Roy

EDIT: Out of idle curiosity, do you think I might be able to edit your Juno .pet to actually work with NetZero instead? I have just now been looking at Juno's page and -- althought it "says" they offer a 10 hour per month free (ad-based) account -- selecting the free account just throws me back into the pay-for-account page. (Might be because I am transmitting from outside the U.S., though.)

TheAsterisk!

#5 Post by TheAsterisk! »

@Roy- If it's NetZero specifically you want, that's doable, too. I actually repackaged NetZero's Linspire package for myself a couple of months ago, and it seems to work well enough. I'll link to a cleaned-up version of it below; my original repackage had all manner of extra garbage stuffed inside that I added for myself.

Just a few notes: Your modem is most easily defined by the PupDial wizard(s) before running the NetZero dialer. I don't think it can detect the hardware itself. So long as you can probe and get a response from PupDial, though, it works fine. Once started, it looks for Mozilla and launches SeaMonkey.
To end the session, you have to start the dialer again and click cancel.
It also leaves two processes running after termination until/unless you kill them. They show up as "/bin/sh /opt/nzclient/runclient.sh" and "java -cp ./lib/zcast1_6.jar -Dnz.browser=mozilla -Dnz.clientName=/opt/nzclient/runclient.sh... etc." in Pprocess.
The menu entry is under Network.

I've run the dialer many times on my system without incident, so I hope it works for you too! And just like the Juno dialer, the NetZero dialer should only need Java.

Dialer client has since been repacked. Please use that package instead.
Get it here.
Last edited by TheAsterisk! on Wed 21 Dec 2011, 14:26, edited 6 times in total.

Roy

#6 Post by Roy »

Hey! Thanks a lot, 'TheAsterisk!' !

I am willing to use whatever is available, but am not sure that Juno has free accounts available (as originally advertised). I know that NetZero still has free accounts available,....

My thanks go to both of you guys for your assistance!

I had actually downloaded the Linspire version (deb) of netzero and un-debbed it, but failed to make a usable .pet out of the extracted directory myself.

-Roy

TheAsterisk!

#7 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Roy wrote:Hey! Thanks a lot, 'TheAsterisk!' !

I am willing to use whatever is available, but am not sure that Juno has free accounts available (as originally advertised). I know that NetZero still has free accounts available,....
No problem, but if you're trying to use the free service, I have to warn you I've only tested it with the paid for service I have. Nobody even offers ad-supported Internet where I am.
Good luck, though! Hopefully it'll still work for you!
EDIT: There's a real download link now- please see my earlier post.

mouldy

#8 Post by mouldy »

Last I knew the Linspire Juno/Netzero software is for the paid accounts only. Far as I know the free account software, which is different, is only usable in windows.

The free Juno accounts still work, had to use mine briefly recently. Its been a while since I downloaded free software, but I remember it took lot searching to get to a proper link. Seems they like to play games and keep trying to trick you into signing up for the pay account. Too long ago for me to remember how to find it, but searching for Juno free account software on google should help. Sure some third party sites give direct link.

Dewbie

#9 Post by Dewbie »

Updated 12/31/2011:
Wolf Pup's Juno software is now here.
And md5sum is here.
(Special thanks to TheAsterisk!.)
This applies to both Juno and NetZero.
Last edited by Dewbie on Sat 31 Dec 2011, 05:31, edited 1 time in total.

mouldy

#10 Post by mouldy »

TheAsterisk! wrote:@Roy- If it's NetZero specifically you want, that's doable, too. I actually repackaged NetZero's Linspire package for myself a couple of months ago, and it seems to work well enough. I'll link to a cleaned-up version of it below; my original repackage had all manner of extra garbage stuffed inside that I added for myself.

Just a few notes: Your modem is most easily defined by the PupDial wizard(s) before running the NetZero dialer. I don't think it can detect the hardware itself. So long as you can probe and get a response from PupDial, though, it works fine. Once started, it looks for Mozilla and launches SeaMonkey.
It also leaves two processes running after termination until/unless you kill them. They show up as "/bin/sh /opt/nzclient/runclient.sh" and "java -cp ./lib/zcast1_6.jar -Dnz.browser=mozilla -Dnz.clientName=/opt/nzclient/runclient.sh... etc." in Pprocess.
The menu entry is under Network.

I've run the dialer many times on my system without incident, so I hope it works for you too! And just like the Juno dialer, the NetZero dialer should only need Java.

netzero.pet
netzero.pet.md5.txt
I have had nightmare of super slow isps this summer, must have tried 4 or so to no good effect. They were connecting at like 9k to 12k. Had given up and was tethering my cell to computer. This is the SLOW 19k data connection pay as you go cell, not one of the super fast and super expensive 3G or 4G deals.

Anyway it failed for about a week and I was scrambling with free Juno and free Netzero accounts on that other operating system. Surprisingly these two with their junk software and banners and all that crap, gave me my normal blazing 26k connection like I used to have. But I was running naked with windoze. I dont normally take it online since I dont want to deal with updates and virus and such. Well frankly you cant keep up with windoze updates on dialup even if you wanted to.....

Remembered this thread. Downloaded your Netzero.pet and the humongous java pkg necessary to run it. That java pkg could use some work. Finally got it installed with one error, but it worked. Let me connect via my free Netzero account.

Should explain that I dont know if it normally would work with free account. Netzero is having one of their "free weekends" where users of the free software get to experience the wonders of the pay "Platinum" version of service.

Anyway the linux Netzero software seems to work fine and big bonus, there is no stupid Platinum banner (yea the pay windoze version has a banner above your browser too). So even after the horror stories I've heard of Netzero being the devil itself to try and cancel, looks like they will get a customer, cause of all the dialup isps I've tried last few months, theirs is the best connection and its a dollar a month cheaper than Juno. Still dont understand that since its same company... But I am willing to pay $10 a month for what passes as a good dialup connection out here in the boonies.

mouldy

#11 Post by mouldy »

Been using the netzero.pet for few days now. Last night got a scare as numbers it was dialing wouldnt connect. Then I noticed only one number was same as the latest numbers the windows netzero software was using.

The linux netzero software isnt updating its numbers list. I looked and darn if I can find a file to manually add numbers.

Anybody using the netzero/juno software with suggestions? That one number is working again this morning, but rather be able to have choice.

I did search and for those still using win95/98 with Netzero software (yea they still support win95/98!), there is a special program you can download to force the software to update number. The newer software does it by itself. But the linspire linux software is no longer supported so no supported way to update it.

Also another less important bug, Netzero software cant remember my password whether I tick the box to save it or not. I assume on linspire there was a file where it tries to store password, but such doesnt exist in Puppy? I am using Puppy 4.3.1 if it matters.

mouldy

#12 Post by mouldy »

Ok, package uninstall doesnt uninstall Netzero, leaves files behind. Instead of trying to find all of them (far as I can tell they are all in Netzero directory in OPT), I just created a new instance of Puppy, reinstalled Netzero package on that Puppy and connected. Let it load the Netzero homepage, then disconnected. On second connection it gave me the option of adding the new current numbers. I accepted. Apparently if you ignore this or turn it down, there is no way to force it to offer again. At least none I can find.

Well fine, so reboot into normal instance of Puppy and mount that new instance. Copy the Netzero files over to the Netzero directory in OPT replacing existing files. Connect and voila I now have the new numbers. so they are buried in one of those files I cant open with normal text editor.

Anyway I can just see all the old numbers becoming unusable. Then since the netzero.pet only has those old numbers, I couldnt ever again connect to get update and I havent yet figured where numbers file is buried nor how to edit it manually. So going to burn all current netzero files to a cdr just as insurance that I wont get locked out of using linux version of connection software in future. if hard drive should go bad or something. Or at least make it less likely.

I figure this linspire linux connection software will work as long as Netzero supports win95/98 which they currently do. Software for those two operating systems is older version like the Linspire software is. Think they also support old Mac connection software from the powerpc era which would be same era. They dont have software for current Macs. The newer connection software is only for windows, win2k and newer. Sure eventually they will discontinue ability to use anything but the newer connection software if their dialup buisness lasts that long. I still dont know why they require software for pay service at all, but guess they collect info to sell.

This is crazy to jump all these connection software hoops for stupid dialup connection, A PAY CONNECTION at that, but this is only usable dialup connection I've found for some time. I even tried using dialguard to grab the modified username/password in windows, then use it directly in wvdial. But they do more than just modify the username/password cause when dialed via wvdial with modificed username/password, it connected, but dropped connection almost immediately.

Dewbie

#13 Post by Dewbie »

Ok, package uninstall doesnt uninstall Netzero, leaves files behind. Instead of trying to find all of them (far as I can tell they are all in Netzero directory in OPT)
Use Pfind (Menu / Filesystem / Pfind file finder) to locate them, clicking on All files (slow) button.
Enter the following keywords, one at a time:

netzero
nz

This should locate pretty much all of them.
The NetZero menu entry is particularly stubborn...takes a while to remove itself after all NetZero files are deleted.

TheAsterisk!

#14 Post by TheAsterisk! »

@mouldy, Dewbie:

I;ve gotten a few messages about the NetZero dialer being nigh impossible to uninstall, so I might just re-pack it sometime in the next day or two, see if that helps things. I originally built it on a possibly-corrupted full-install of Puppy 412 retro -- this was back in my first Puppy days, and I had a habit of modifying files at whim to the detriment of my system -- and it might have caused some funny business in the packaging.

And the dialer never saved a password for me, either. To be honest, I didn't worry about it, as the dialer would not run on Ubuntu, and I'd been trying at it for a few weeks, but Puppy did it perfectly. It's what started me on the Pup, actually.

@mouldy:

I haven't used NetZero in almost two years, since I switched to Verizon and then a local ISP for DSL, so I forgot about the phone numbers getting updated. I have no way to grab the new numbers myself anymore, but if you can figure out which files are responsible for the update, and compress them into an archive, I can try to add them to the package. We'll just need to test them first.

It would just be a good idea to keep them handy, in case anyone else needs them at some point.

Thanks!

TheAsterisk!

#15 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Alright, I've repacked the dot-pet. If you've already run the client, parts of the /opt/nzclient/ directory stay behind after uninstallation, but I think that's just meant to preserve some of your personal settings, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Menu entry removal worked properly in both Puppy 400 and Lucid 528. Haven't tested it in others, though.

Both the NetZero and the Juno dialer packages can be downloaded from the relevant page on my website. [LINK]

Let me know if that helps at all.

I'll remove the old dot-pet.
Last edited by TheAsterisk! on Sun 18 Nov 2012, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.

lwill

#16 Post by lwill »

Does anyone know if this still works?
On old or current puppy?

My dad lives in the boonies, stuck on dial up, but uses NetZero to use Chrome / Google Voice for long distance, and his computer crashed. Had to use Chrome since Voice no longer supports older IE.(he was still using Vista that came on the machine)
I am too far to ship it to me to fix now, and the guy he talked to about looking at it said "sure I can install Chrome, just give me the disk". Well they don't offer a disk!! just an installer you download. (can you tell how much confidence I have in his knowledge?)
At best dad gets about 28-36K so I don't even want to think about having him download it.

I was hoping to roll a quick custom puppy for him with just NetZero and Chrome (and deps) and send it to him so he can run from cd to make long distance calls and mail it to him.
Any thoughts?

Dewbie

#17 Post by Dewbie »

lwill wrote:
Does anyone know if this still works?
On old or current puppy?

Juno is my only ISP; I use it all the time with Puppy.

It works with Classic Pup 2.14x / Puppy Linux 4.1.2 and 4.3.1 / Wary 5.1.1 and 5.1.4.1.
(Probably with others, too...those are the only ones that I have.)

I can't verify whether NetZero for Puppy works because I don't have an account.
But I would imagine that it should, because it's a sister company of Juno.
(And don't forget, Java is required for both.)

lwill

#18 Post by lwill »

Thank you for the confirmation.
I just downloaded Precise and going to give it a try, if not I will fall back to an older one.
Of course I may still have an issue getting his modem to work since I have no idea what he has. His machine is only a few years old, better than most I have. :) (It gave him a "hard disk failed" BSOD error)
Maybe I should just go with a slightly older pup with more modem drivers available? Hmm. Which to choose.....

Dewbie

#19 Post by Dewbie »

lwill wrote:
Maybe I should just go with a slightly older pup with more modem drivers available?
The latest Wary has more dial-up drivers than the others.
(BarryK uses an older kernel because it allows him to do this.)

Dewbie

#20 Post by Dewbie »

See attached.
Attachments
juno48.png
Silver-Marble
(4.88 KiB) Downloaded 322 times
juno.png
Stardust
(4.72 KiB) Downloaded 399 times
juno-icons.zip
Silver-Marble and Stardust