no built-in wifi, or DSL connection. and no land line

For drivers and kernel modules.
5littlejoe5

no built-in wifi, or DSL connection. and no land line

#1 Post by 5littlejoe5 »

This is an IBMThinkpad 770 running Win98. I just installed puppy on iit according to this: http://www.freeveda.org/linux/puppy/PupWin98.htm and it works just fine. But I have no way to connect to the internet with it. I have DSL , but the computer doesn't have a cat5 connection. I have a Belkin USB network adapter F5D7050 (FCC ID: K7S F5D7050 B), My desktop - running Mint10 - identifies this as using the rt73usb driver module) and there is a USB slot.

There is also a PCMCIA slot into which I can insert my Linksys pcmcia card (PCM200). But how to make any of this work eludes me.

According to the instructions by which I installed Puppy, I have version 1.0.7 I have downloaded to my other computer a driver which is said to work on version 2.????, (for the Belkin USB device) But I don't know how to install a pet package from floppy. And I don't know if it will work once it is installed.

puppyluvr

#2 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Hi, and welcome to the kennel...
OK first, give me some specs on this machine, IE CPU/RAM and if you know, the video..
Second, Puppy underwent some severe changes from 1 to 2 versions..
And 1 series never saw a .pet...
@ series introduced the .pet, before that it was .pup files...
However, 3 series and rt73 worked for me...
Also the linksys slot card...
Even the dreaded bcm43xx...
With a swap, and a little trickery, 3 series will run on next to nothing...
But before we build you a 3 series Pup, try Ttuuxxx`s 2.14x series...
Updated way past 3 series, even to 5 stuff, and runs on very light resources..
Post your specs, and we will find the "cats meow"..
Oh, I mean, the "puppies bark"..
:D
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

tempestuous

#3 Post by tempestuous »

5littlejoe5 wrote:According to the instructions by which I installed Puppy, I have version 1.0.7
First I find it bizarre that you have Puppy 1.0.7. This was released in late 2005 / early 2006.
Many/most of the dotpets available now will likely fail to work on that old release.
5littlejoe5 wrote:I have a Belkin USB network adapter F5D7050 (FCC ID: K7S F5D7050 B), My desktop - running Mint10 - identifies this as using the rt73usb driver module)
I contributed the appropriate driver for that device, compatible with Puppy 1.0.4 - 1.0.9 here -
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Wifi/drivers- ... acy.tar.gz
The driver for that old kernel version was called "rt73" not "rt73usb" as it is now.
Be aware that the "dotpet" installer system did not exist at that stage, so installation requires carefully following these instructions -
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Wifi/drivers- ... ink_README
and you will see that it involves running commands from a command prompt.

I really think it would be a better idea for you to install one of the modern Puppy versions which are aimed at older hardware:
i) Wary 5.1.4.1 from
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/
or ii) Classic Pup 2.14X-Top9
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42553
Both include the wifi driver you require.

5littlejoe5

Hardware information and other details.

#4 Post by 5littlejoe5 »

Thanks puppyluvr and tempestuous for prompt and thoughtful replies.

I wish I had been as thoughtful. I have been working on several older computers, and when I got back to this one I forgot what I had done to it, and was thinking that it was one that wouldn't boot puppy from the CD, so I installed it within Windows 98 as I said. Now I realize that I had in fact removed and reformatted the hard drive and installed puppy 4.31 k26.7 on a second partition (but only so it will boot from CD). So Here's what I have:

Hard disk is 14GB divided sda1=2GB Dos partition with Windows98 installed, and a limited version of Puppy that boots from DOS. Sda2 is a small linux swap partition. Sda3 is 12 GB EXT3 with pup-4.31-k26.7 installed to boot from CD. I haven't been able to make anything connect to the internet yet. And before I do, it would be nice to see if a more up-to-date version could be installed (although in terms of usefulness even the version of puppy that I have installed in the windows partition is better than Windows by far.)

Hardware:
Processor Mobile Pentium MMX
Memory 125MB
Screen set to 1024x768x16 (and it looks beautifuul)
Built in pointer device appears to agree with ps2 setting. Physicaly
is a ibm trackpoint (in the middle of the keyboard)
with three buttons in the front of the keyboard.

Puppyluvr said: “try Ttuuxxx`s 2.14x series... Updated way past 3 series, even to 5 stuff, and runs on very light resources.. “

Is that a distro of puppy? I did a search for: download ttuu* v2.14* And couldn't discover where to download it.
I'm not sure that the version that I have in the win98 partition is version 1.0.7, but that is what the install directions says. I don't know how to tell the version from within puppy.

Puppy is in fact a huge project for a small distro, and I have been having a hard time discovering what there is available. Thanks to your suggestions, tempestuous, I am right now downloading both Wary puppy 2.1.4.1 and Classic Pup 2.14X-Top9

I'll probably need some help getting them installed. I'd really like to have them installed so that they boot from grub without the CD. I know that can be cone, but am not sure that I can do it without very explicit directions. First off, I'll have to see if they will boot from CD. I'll kn ow that in a few minutes.

Well, neither boots so far. 2.13-Top9 doesn'tget past the first screen, I can get to the f2 screen, and type in parameters, but it still won't go. Wary-5.1.4.1 after searching for puppy files says : puppy_wary_5.1.4.1.sfs not found. Dropping out to initial-ramdisk console... and then /bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
#
And there it stays. If I knew how I could perhaps decompress the iso, and copy the appropriate parts to the appropriate places to get it to work.