Fingerprint Reader

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
jafadmin

Fingerprint Reader

#1 Post by jafadmin »

I know this is probably a bit of a reach, but I wonder about the possibility of integrating biometric capability into managing the "pupsave" file password.

I use a heavy encrypted "pupsave" (or lupusave) file, and in some situations it is desirable to log in without typing my password on the keyboard. In particular, situations where a lot of eyes are in the room (people, and "security" cameras).

I have a Thinkpad with a biometric scanner. I have Win 7 Ultimate installed with a bitlocked boot drive that I logon to using the scanner. I also have a USB thumb that allows me to multiboot on a non-bitlocked partition on the harddrive that has several puppy versions.

Now, I can safely boot into 7 in unsecure environments using the biometric scanner, but if I want to boot into my lupu 5.28, I'm stuck typing in the savefile password in the open.

Any thoughts on how big a hack it would be to do this? There is a lucid dev project that supports my onboard chipset and would handle a regular login, but I'd still have to type the savefile password in the open anyway using it.

The "strong" encryption on the savefiles is AES128, as I recall, the same as with the Win7 bitlocker.

I realize this is a major hack, but I get more paranoid everyday with the proliferation of surveillance cameras in wifi hotspots, etc ...

Any thoughts?

jafa

DPUP5520

#2 Post by DPUP5520 »

One thing I can tell you which I believe I mentioned on another thread is that anyone with just a little bit of knowledge can gain access to a computer's files with ease whether their system is password protected or not as long as they have physical access to the machine, however with just a little bit more knowledge i'd have to say that linux passwords are the easiest to circumvent (with red hat being the exception) and Macs being almost just as easy.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69651][b][i]PupRescue 2.5[/i][/b][/url]
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72178][b][i]Puppy Crypt 528[/i][/b][/url]