Unable to install to HD: "Out of memory"

Booting, installing, newbie
GustyGuest

Unable to install to HD: "Out of memory"

#1 Post by GustyGuest »

I had VectorLinux 4.3 installed.

I booted into PuppyLinux and tried to install to the hard drive. It said some weird thing about that it can't because PuppyLinux is detecting /dev/hda1/ or something. It said make the partition into something Puppy couldn't find. Ok, so I CFDISK and make it into some NetBSD partition in hopes that would allow me to install and reformat the partition in ext2/3...

Now it freaks out and says "out of memory" and won't boot into it. I think it's making a RAM disk instead of using the swap space. The PC has very little RAM so that's why I'm assuming it says out of memory. Fixable?

Thanks,

---GustyGuest

Rich

#2 Post by Rich »

just to clarify, what version of Puppy are you trying ?
How much ram do you have in the machine?

( sorry I don't know the solution myself, but the extra info should spark a torrent of replies !) 8)

GustyGuest

#3 Post by GustyGuest »

puppy-1.0.2-mozilla.iso, 64 MB RAM =)

danleff

#4 Post by danleff »

Is this a laptop by any chance? Many use some ram for the video card, which may be part of the problem.

The other issue is that in order to do a hard drive installation, I believe that you still need at least 128 mb of ram.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

#5 Post by Guest »

Not a laptop. May I remind you that puppy linux *did* boot once, but now no longer boots.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

If you had Puppy 1.0.3 you could try booting Puppy it with the "no hard drive" boot option, for testing purposes. John Murga made an Opera version of 1.0.2 with the same boot option.

danleff

Re: Won't finish boot : "Out of memory"

#7 Post by danleff »

GustyGuest wrote:I had VectorLinux 4.3 installed.

I booted into PuppyLinux and tried to install to the hard drive. It said some weird thing about that it can't because PuppyLinux is detecting /dev/hda1/ or something. It said make the partition into something Puppy couldn't find. Ok, so I CFDISK and make it into some NetBSD partition in hopes that would allow me to install and reformat the partition in ext2/3...
OK, from your description, it sounded like you were experiencing this on your attempts to install to the hard drive. I understand now.

Puppy likes ext2 partitions and i don't know if it sees NetBSD ones.

In terms of hda1, what filesystem is on hda1?

Perhaps you can post what the partition scheme is that you have.

I agree with Flash. You may want to try version 1.0.3, which is back to the 2.4 kernel series. As Flash stated, it does have an option not to write to the hard drive on boot. The Opera version should require less ram.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Ian »

What install option did you take, 1 or 2.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

This thread might be helpful.