espeak text to speech - mini edition

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
technosaurus

espeak text to speech - mini edition

#1 Post by technosaurus »

I compiled this a while back, but just got around to finding a use for it ... I am too lazy to read _all_ the books on project Gutenberg with my kids. Anyhow, it is a really stripped down version of espeak. If you like it and want more voices, languages, etc... you can install the full espeak (I renamed the binary to speak so they can coexist)

I wrote a few little scripts to go with it:
reader - will speak and read a file one line at a time (so you can read along)
------- if the file is html, it will remove the html <tags>
------- if no file is passed, you'll get a file select dialog
------- GUI works on both console and X
------- or just right click on any plain text or html file
------- this is the only one with a menu entry (Documents)
speak_clipboard - a real PITA app that most people will get annoyed with
speak_files - just speaks the text from a list of files
speak_input - you can pipe text to this and get audio out
------- Puppy dialogs could use this to improve accessibility in notifications etc...
txt2wav - converts a txt file to a spoken wav file

it is fairly extendable to other formats if you have a converter that will convert to txt (abiword used to do this, however in wary didn't seem to work with pdf, b/c I think Barry may have disabled pdf, because the rendering was pretty bad - pity, it would probably have done ok with just outputting the text)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

Moose On The Loose

Re: espeak text to speech - mini edition

#2 Post by Moose On The Loose »

technosaurus wrote:I compiled this a while back
I quickly found a use for the old version. I will explain it here so that others can apply and adapt the idea.

It is fairly common when doing optics or electronics to have a measurement system that tells you when something is too high or too low and an adjustment for getting the thing set just right. Unfortunately, often the measurement happens over there [points off to the left] and the adjustment is here [points to the right]. A quick little script can turn the measurement into a voice so that you don't need to look at it.

My version of the script allowed the person to set the target value. The voice then shifted gears when you got close.

Code: Select all

# echo "( $X - $TARGET ) < 0.5" | bc -l
Will do the math and comparison for you.

Pelo

Oh yes ! further info needed

#3 Post by Pelo »

How to select the text to read ?

Ted Dog

#4 Post by Ted Dog »

BUMP so I can find this later... :lol:

Pelo

Text to speech

#5 Post by Pelo »

I enjoy that TTS. Could you provide us with the described scripts because that wonderfull tool read everything it sees. Merci Monsieur.
Its for improving earing english accent, ours is very bad !

s243a

#6 Post by s243a »

For some reason the download link in the original post is giving me an error. Consequently, I've uploaded the file to the following location:
http://www.pearltrees.com/s243a/espeak- ... m141130480

This was the only text2speech program I got working on precise. Probably because I'm new to puppylinux. The only thing that bugged me is that if there was a Astrix "*" in the document then it would read off every file-name in the root directory.

Pelo

Difficult for me to understand but for you ?

#7 Post by Pelo »

open Tar.gz.. your opinion. Difficult for me to understand but for you ?
Attachments
congratulations.tar.gz
Discours de félicitations (congratulations)
(130.56 KiB) Downloaded 229 times

nic007

#8 Post by nic007 »

Those with WINE installed may want to look here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111029
I made a pet combining the commandline tools of 2nd Speech Center (a commercial text-to- speech program) and a commandline file converter tool from balabolka (another text to speech program). The pet also includes a voice. You can convert ebook formats to text with this and convert text to mp3.

There are free windows text to speech software with GUI available if you hunt on the internet (which you can use with wine).