Enable Wireless Connection on an IBM T40

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Bob_the_Puppy

Enable Wireless Connection on an IBM T40

#1 Post by Bob_the_Puppy »

Step by step instructions to enable wireless connection on IBM T40 in Puppy

These instructions will help you to have a wireless connection on an IBM T40 (and other computers) without having to run any wizards after boot. I'm not sure why Puppy (2.01) doesn't activate the wireless connection during bootup. I know it tries and after not succeeding it turns the radio off. So here goes:

Click "edit" at the top of the desktop to open the default editor called geany.

Add the 2 following lines:
iwconfig eth1 essid "any" mode Auto key off
dhcpcd -t 20 -h puppypc -d eth1

Then click: File, SaveAs. On the 3rd line down in the SaveAs dialog box click "Browse for other folders". Then on the left side, double click "Home" and on the right side double click "my-applications". At the top next to Name: type "start_eth1" (without the quotes). At the bottom right click "Save".

Then click File and Quit.

On the desktop click "Home" which will open ROX in your home folder. Look in there for "my-applications" folder and click once. Find the file "start_eth1" and right click it. Click the selection that is second from the bottom called "permissions". At the center-left find the word "yes" and click that to set the file to executable. You will notice that the file's icon will change from something that looks like a notepad to something that looks like a gear.

At the top-left of ROX, find what looks like a triangle (supposed to look like an up arrow) and click twice to take you to "/". It will probably look like: "/(Thumbs)".

Find the folder called "etc" and click once.
Find the folder called "rc.d" and click once.

Right click the file called "rc.local" and click the 4th item on that menu called "Open as text". At the bottom of the text insert this line:
/root/my-applications/start_eth1

the text will most likely now look like this:

#this file called from rc.local0
#you can edit this file
#When firewall is installed, will append lines to this file...

/root/my-applications/start_eth1

Click File and Save.
Then click File and Quit.

Reboot the computer (Menu, Shut Down, Reboot computer)

Each time your computer boots, you will be able to surf the net immediately if your router isn't wep enabled.
If it is wep enabled, replace the line "key off" by just entering the key in hex digits as XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX or XXXXXXXX.
That line might look like: "key 3Derf-45FAk-XXXx-SDFF"

Cheers,
Bob the Puppy
bob_the_puppy@mymaildump.com

tempestuous

#2 Post by tempestuous »

That's a good run-through, but I would just caution that the T40 can be supplied with different wifi adaptors -
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... MIGR-58185

Happily, Puppy2 contains a suitable driver for your particular adaptor which, I suspect, is the Cisco Aironet version.

Other wifi adaptors, like the T40's alternative Intel versions, may require additional drivers and utilities.

Bob_the_Puppy

#3 Post by Bob_the_Puppy »

You are correct. I have the Cisco Aironet.

OprahWINfree

#4 Post by OprahWINfree »

Totally doesnt work on T43p :(

iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.