k3b-1.0.5-13 in a RtG .sfs for 528 AND Slacko RC

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
str4y

k3b-1.0.5-13 in a RtG .sfs for 528 AND Slacko RC

#1 Post by str4y »

1st off, please accept my apologies for the hiatus-- I'd sure wished to be able to devote more time to working on Puppy.
The good news: here now, comes the .SFS of k3b 1.0.5, (sub-numbered 13 as per the Scientific Linux .rpm) now once again a SELF-CONTAINED workable solution, as I've combined the old k3b_kde3-deps.pet contents with the newer k3b-1.0.5 fileset to form one convenient .sfs!
The Even Better News: tested and working on both Lucid 528 and the Slacko RC! Using a completely fresh install, the nifty "SFS-Load on-the-fly" function fires it up painlessly on both.

Technical notes:
-=> FIXED: the annoying bug whereby the first time you went to File>Open, the dialog window was scrunched and you had to drag the lower-right corner out to make sense of it. Duh, I had only to poke around the config files which Kde smartly generates.. so now theres /root/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals already in place for ye.
-=> I want to thank the author(s) of mksquashfs (which dir2sfs utilises), which keenly found 16 duplicate files in the conglomeration process, proving that I was a little hurried in presenting the 2 .pet version.. look for a trimmed down version of the k3b .pet soon, hopefully also addressing ALL the few minor warnings that're still yet to be resolved, as seen when running from a term window.
-=> It took some tinkering to get it to work on Slacko, but nothing major. A couple things were present in lupu_528.sfs which aren't in 5.29.5... libGL for one (just an empty "mesa" directory?) and another I can recall was libaudio.so.2.
-=> I was wondering what the equivalent of a pinstall.sh (.pet component) file is for a .sfs... just to advise newbies on the dialog window bug if nothing else. (But then I resolved that bug.. however it would be nice to mention recommended settings which I haven't got around to including in the sfs yet, as well as where to find the required Licensing notices and the url for this forum page-- clickable in a Xdialog or yaf-splash, preferably!? I moved such .pet packaging files, for reference, to /usr/doc/k3b-1.0.5-13_Puppy-SFS.)

k3b-1.0.5-13.i686+kde3-deps.sfs (24M)
http://www.datafilehost.com/download-e26ff292.html

md5sum:
d0a4b59b5dea4f56dd4659964dedd337 k3b-1.0.5-13.i686+kde3-deps.sfs

Here's an example of a recommended setting change, which will be default in the next (final!?) release..
oh heck, I thought I'd captured my mouse pointer in action, pointing at the Enable tickbox, the idea being that my suggestion is to untick that!

ENJOY!

ps. I'll put the url's to the old .pet files in a post at the bottom of this thread.[/i]
Last edited by str4y on Wed 19 Oct 2011, 22:57, edited 8 times in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Have you noticed the Hosts for Large Files thread?

str4y

#3 Post by str4y »

Flash wrote:Have you noticed the Hosts for Large Files thread?
@Flash - Just what I needed. Things have been too hectic IRL to even make time to adequately peruse the fine forum. You da man!
I went with the quick-n-dirtiest, practically-prods-folks-to-not-read-the-ToS, all-entangled-with-vile-Google-javascript one. Good for 30 days, it says. Probably more bandwidth than I couldve managed elsewhere. I'll be improving it within the month, so send me your feedback!
Cheers. :)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Downloaded the .pet and installed it, but nothing happened when I clicked on k3b in the menu so I tried it from the console:

Code: Select all

# k3b
k3b: error while loading shared libraries: libdbus-1.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
#

disciple

#5 Post by disciple »

What version of Puppy are you running, Flash? I thought recent versions came with dbus.
It isn't a huge package anyway... not like k3b itself ;)
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

Sorry, I should have known better. :oops: It's Racy Puppy 5.1.99 (5.2 alpha).
I have another multisession DVD with Lucid Puppy 245 that I could try it on, but that will have to wait until tomorrow morning at the earliest.

disciple

#7 Post by disciple »

Might be easier just to install dbus.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

8-bit

#8 Post by 8-bit »

Running Puppy Lucid 528.
Installed the k3b PET and never got to the second setup stage as the program wanted mime types.
Since I do not know where it was looking for them and have no idea of how to set them up so k3b will see them, I just bypassed stage 2 and went to the program to see what it looks like and what it has to offer.
Are mime types required for it?
I do see that you have one thing that is good.
That is the ability to change the temp directory to a location of your choosing.
For someone with a frugal install, a temp folder outside of the pupsave file allows for more room in being able to burn larger capacity DVDs and CDs that would fill the pupsave.
Can the application be used without going through the second part of setup?

From what I have seen of the interface, I have to say it looks good and looks like it is intuitive.

Also, for your information on mime types not being found.

/usr/share/mime/application/octet-stream.xml

I just don't know where to put a system link to it that will be found by k3b.
Or is that what file it is looking for?

8-bit

#9 Post by 8-bit »

I am back after having problems with your file selection window.
The files in the bottom of the window only display the upper half of the text to begin with.
Also, files with long names come close to spanning columns making it hard to select multiple files with a box selection.
So to me, this area needs work either by increasing the file selection window height or changing it to display files one per line in a vertical scrolling format.

Just consider me as a dumb user of your application that is easily frustrated bypassing your program because of problems trying to select files to add to a CD/DVD.

str4y

addressing issues, more testing needed

#10 Post by str4y »

@8bit Good point-- yes, as I somewhat feebly tried to warn in the release posting, it's not finding that mimetype (even though it finds it on my old 525 frugal, which confuses me.).. but it seems perhaps you've found that by hitting spacebar ("OK" button) 5 times, all those complaints are dismissed and it runs and burns fine. (I haven't tested all the types of operations, so please continue testing and reporting any bugs.)
And please note: that opening box that complains about running as root has that button, "Start K3bSetup2" -- DO NOT click it.. in all my years of installing and running k3b, it's never had that component present. All setup/config that's needed can be done from the Settings drop-down in the main program window. So just tick the Don't Show This Again checkbox, hit Close, and that's done with.

Strangely enough, the usually fruitful "packages that contain files whose names contain the keyword" function on packages.debian.org turned up nothing on "octet-stream.xml"... but I was able to figure out elsewhere that it's part of the package shared-mime-info .. which I grabbed from http://slackfind.net/en/packages/search ... =mime-info .. (it's 501k and perhaps worth installing the whole thing for future use) but the nugget we need here is quite small-- 1746 bytes!
Putting that in place... argh, still complains.. but now it's just 3 ignorable dialogs to click OK on instead of the original 5!!
So I read up a bit more, and it seems that in order to speak with authority, I'll need to get my head around
http://standards.freedesktop.org/shared ... atest.html
.. because it says:
This specification attempts to unify the MIME database systems currently in use by GNOME[GNOME], KDE[KDE] and ROX[ROX], and provide room for future extensibility.
and somewhere it was pointed out that there's a page for old versions (mentions 3.5, so that's us I presume) but it only seems to have .desktop files:
http://websvn.kde.org/branches/KDE/3.5/ ... mimetypes/

Can't address the display issues-- maybe it's the way your particular video driver interacts with Qt. Do take heed of the following: THE BEAUTY OF K3B is that you can select files in Rox windows and drag them over, and even put them in specific slot position, inside the CD-tracks-to-burn window. I can sometime soon post an instructional RecordMyDesktop video of this if it's unclear. (If you can do same, or use another prog such as Drec or Wink (or ?).. we could perhaps diagnose your display frustrations more easily.)

Thanks for testing!
[size=75]laptop.pet: [url]http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=550279[/url]
K3B-1.0.5 self-contained .pet [url]http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=71862[/url]
:oops: bitcoin: [url]http://xmail.net/str4y/bitcoin/[/url][/size]

8-bit

#11 Post by 8-bit »

The first time I ran k3b, I had both horizontal and vertical scroll bars in the file selection window for some reason. Later runs of it only showed a horizontal scroll bar and the cut off text in filenames had disappeared.
I have yet to burn a CD or DVD using it. And there is a small learning curve there.
But another thing I noticed is that in the fileselection drop down, ROOT is listed and I did not realize that that selection took one to the base directory.
I will install it on my regular, used all the time, version of Puppy to try it further, I had installed it on Puppy Lucid 528 when I made my initial report.
Now it will be installed on Puppy Lucid 520 and future reports will be on it as run from there.

vanchutr

#12 Post by vanchutr »

k3b-1.0.5 works in many Puppy versions (Squeeze 5X, Lupu529, Slacko beta 4...)
Please update with cdrdao-1.2.3
Thank
Can you make an small pack for amarok?
I like to run seperately k3b and amarok (because their size)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#13 Post by Flash »

I finally got the k3b .pet to work, in Luci 256. It does not accurately find the capacity of a blanked 25 (22.55) GB Blu-Ray disk. The first time I opened k3b it recognized that the disk was a Blu-Ray (BD-RE) disk and said the capacity was something like 260 GB. The next time it said Unknown Disk Type with a capacity of zero and the third time it said Unknown Disk Type with a capacity of 3.8 TB. :)

str4y

updated-- way better now

#14 Post by str4y »

@vanchutr
Not sure.. gonna have to look into what all Amarok uses. (I used to use it, before I found something else to handle my used iPod I bought. I ranted on about it in essentially a hardware review.. find it in the gtkPod thread somewhere.) Also: cdrdao now up-to-date.

@Flash
I searched around, found that, sadly, Blu-ray isnt supported in this old of a version.

THIS .PET HAS BEEN UPDATED -- SEE INITIAL POSTING FOR LINKS!

str4y

#15 Post by str4y »

sorry about this. JohnM, please delete. And btw, thanks for your continually great forum hosting!
Last edited by str4y on Wed 19 Oct 2011, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.

str4y

Nero-like CD/DVD burning utility that works better

#16 Post by str4y »

Get the latest and greatest from the updated Top Post of this thread!
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 825#565825

Here's those old URL's, just for historical reference in case folks want to tinker with the older .pet files:

jcoder24's dependencies as posted in 2008, his link for which having since gone kaput...
k3b_kde3-deps.pet
http://www.datafilehost.com/download-29fd452e.html

My conglomeration of binaries from recent Scientific Linux .rpm's, tweaked to be useable in Puppy...
k3b-1.0.5-13.i686.pet (17M)
http://www.datafilehost.com/download-4ee5b7ad.html

ravensrest

#17 Post by ravensrest »

I just ran your k3b....sfs under lucid528 and got this message:
Mp3 Audio Decoder plugin not found.
K3b could not load or find the Mp3 decoder plugin. This means that you will not be able to create Audio CDs from Mp3 files. Many Linux distributions do not include Mp3 support for legal reasons.
Solution: To enable Mp3 support, please install the MAD Mp3 decoding library as well as the K3b MAD Mp3 decoder plugin (the latter may already be installed but not functional due to the missing libmad).
Any idea where the missing codec may be found, as well as anything else that may be needed? Oh, I see that labmad is present already in 528. Guess I just need the codec?
Thanks,
BS

ravensrest

#18 Post by ravensrest »

I have found copies of the ffmpeg decoder (libk3bffmpegdecoder.la and libk3bffmpegdecoder.so) and plugin (k3bffmpegdecoder.plugin) in the version of K3B in Mediapup, but I can find no way to integrate them into this version. Copying them to the /usr/lib/kde3 and /usr/share/apps/k3b/plugins does not get them recognized. I also found a file, libk3b2-extracodecs_1.05+kde4svn935857+really1.05-3ubuntu5_all.deb, which will install in 528, but it does nothing that I could discern. Do the extra codecs have to be installed at compile time? Please help.

darkcity

#19 Post by darkcity »

I have exactly the same problem, can not incorporate mp3 decoder,

tried many ways, I wonder if the program can find but not load?

A work around is to convert the MP3s to OGG before burning with k3b

postfs1

#20 Post by postfs1 »

ravensrest wrote:I just ran your k3b....sfs under lucid528 and got this message:
Mp3 Audio Decoder plugin not found.
K3b could not load or find the Mp3 decoder plugin. This means that you will not be able to create Audio CDs from Mp3 files. Many Linux distributions do not include Mp3 support for legal reasons.
Solution: To enable Mp3 support, please install the MAD Mp3 decoding library as well as the K3b MAD Mp3 decoder plugin (the latter may already be installed but not functional due to the missing libmad).
Any idea where the missing codec may be found, as well as anything else that may be needed? Oh, I see that labmad is present already in 528. Guess I just need the codec?
Thanks,
BS
Perhaps "taglib" can help. I'm even pretty sure.