Letters etc szitched on keyboqrd ex z is z qnd a is q

Booting, installing, newbie
njoy

Letters etc szitched on keyboqrd ex z is z qnd a is q

#1 Post by njoy »

Previous topic titled: Keyboard quit shortly after 1.0.8 install - solved Date: April 1four this year

PROBLEM
Install went perfectly and I was playing with my new Puppy 1.0.8 when, suddenly, I couldn't type a thing corrrectly. Mouse works, keys don't. I rebooted -- no different. I loaded Win 98se -- keyboard works just fine. I loaded Mandrake 9.0 -- ditto. What is wrong w Puppy?
EXAMPLE this is zhqt I get zhen I try to type on the nor,ql keys: Then Flqsh provided solution

SOLUTION BY FLASH
The keyboard configuration is stored in the pup001 file on your hard drive after you boot Puppy the first time. Thereafter when Puppy boots it sets the keyboard choice it finds in the pup001 file. Evidently the keyboard configuration in your pup001 file has somehow become corrupted, which is why your keyboard only works when you boot with option 4.

If you haven't got anything saved in the pup001 file that you care about, the simple solution is to delete the pup001 file and start over. If there is stuff in the pup001 file you want to save then you can change its name, e.g. to pup002, so that Puppy won't find a pup001 file when it boots. After you boot Puppy you can then mount the renamed file and copy the files you want to keep from it before you shut down.
NOW SAME PROBLEM AGAIN except I only hqve Puppy so where do I find the pup001 file in root bc i cant use Find bc it also doesnt work :? WHY ME?

So my ? is where exactly is the pup001 file? Pls say exctly how to get to pup001 file thru File Manager

PS: this happens with two dif versions of Puppy so maybe keyboard is wonky but if so why did deleting pup001 file work?

njoy

Oops i meqn z is w

#2 Post by njoy »

Oops i meqn z is w in the title

Dougal

#3 Post by Dougal »

Are you still using 1.0.8? It's not clear from your post.

Your problem is simply one of using a AZERTY keymap instead of a QWERTY one.
Look at the top left corner of the "letters part" of your keyboard (to the right of the tab). Reading from there should spell one of the two: AZERTY or QWERTY.
At first boot, when you choose your keymap, you need to make sure it is one that fits your keyboard (on the right hand side it says "azerty" or "qwerty").

I think you can run the keyboard wizard from the menu...
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

njoy

Yes, but

#4 Post by njoy »

Yes, Dougal, I'm still using 1.0.8 (well, right this minute I'm using a Mac laptop). I don't see how it can be a keyboard problem as you suggest. I tried different keymaps (from the Wizard) t the first time the problem came up. Also, why would that affect the Search function in File Manager? Maybe a coincidence, I suppose.

The suggestion to delete pup001 work great. I just need to know how to find that file.

On the other hand, it does make sense that something I'm doing is affecting the keyboard. This has happened to me on several different computers and two kinds of Puppy. Karmic, I guess. Did I harm a keyboard in a previous lifetime? How like me.

Thanks for your post.

Dougal

#5 Post by Dougal »

I think the reason you get it on a few computers is that they have a different keyboard than the others and you choose the same keymap at first bootup.

The pup001 file is on the harddrive partition that's mounted on /mnt/home.
However, if after you delete it (to delete it you need to boot into ram: boot option 4, then mount the HD partition in question and delete the file), when you boot again, you choose the same keymap as before, you'll have the same problem all over again...

I'd advise you to try booting into ram on the problematic computers and just try and find the keymap that fits the jeyboard type (i.e. azerty or qwerty).
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

njoy

#6 Post by njoy »

Correction: I am currently using Puppy 1.09 instead of 1.08 so the problem has occured on both versions.

With option 1, I don't have a choice of keyboards so the azerty vs qwerty issue doesnt arise. Besides the change from keyboard behaving properly to keyboard from hell takes place independent of reboot.

I followed your instructions re finding mnt, then home but couldn't get past home ( home file wouldn't open). Then I and found, under mnt, a file called pupxxx (not pup001)but deleting/changing it didn't have any effect which makes sense since I suppose xxx stands for any set of numbers.

Also, as option 1 boots, I see a message re pup001 not being "cleared" or something like that. It went by too fast and I can't remember which f key freezes the display. I don't know if this message appeared before or only after I started changing the pupxxx file.

Finally, I choose option 4 and installed live Puppy which works just fine (I'm typing on it, now) . Incidenally, I chose us-querty once and aswerty another time but the results were still accurate typing. Once I find out which f key stops the display I'll try messing around with azerty and querty in an option 1 boot.

So, here I am in live puppy. Not a solution, but good enough, especially since the grandchildren have asked to use this computer (no, they didn't cause the problem but they quickly figured out how to work around it on the keyboard).

Anyway, thanks, dougal. As usual, I learned a lot of new things.

Dougal

#7 Post by Dougal »

Just to clear a few things:
/mnt/home is where the partition with the pup001 file is mounted. It is a plain directory, so if you look into it and there's nothing in it, it means nothing is mounted as home, which would suggest no pup001 file. UNLESS it is mounted as hda1/hda2 etc. (which it shouldn't be, but I've seen some strange things..)

/mnt/pupxxx is just a mount point where you can mount things, no need to touch it.

As for the keymap, it occured to me you can avoid deleting pup001 by just going and deleting the file /etc/keymap (you'd better just move it somewhere else, for future reference).
This file contains one word, which is the name of the keymap you chose at first boot. I think if you delete it you'll get the keyboard-choosing menu on next boot. You can also try and change it to another keymap "name", then reboot and see if it's better. (the keymaps are under /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/keymaps, if I'm not mistaken, and are in separate azerty/qwerty directories, so you just look in the one that fits your keyboard (the first five keys one the left, as I mentioned before)

The message you get at bootup could be that pup001 wasn't cleanly mounted (i.e. you forced shutdown with the power button or the computer froze) or it could be one saying that the partition (if it's etx3) has been mounted so-and-so times without being checked (since you haven't booted your other distro...)

Hope this helps a bit...
Some say your nose
Some say your toes