desktop short-cut icons disappeared - SOLVED

Using applications, configuring, problems
alienjeff

desktop short-cut icons disappeared - SOLVED

#1 Post by alienjeff »

A mystery to me: all the default desktop short-cut icons have vanished. Is there an easy way to either find and/or resurrect them without having to resort to reinstalling Puppy to my HD?

I'd really rather not have to go through the process of "manually" rebuilding my PuppyPin file in /root/Choices/Rox-Filer, though I suppose ... heh.

Vitals:

HD install of 2.0.1, Grub boot from floppy, 100% GNU/Linux on HDs, Tyan 600 MHz P-III, 328M RAM

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! See you in #puppylinux on freenode.net, too.

-alienjeff
Last edited by alienjeff on Sun 09 Jul 2006, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.

zigbert

#2 Post by zigbert »

It would be easy to grab the puppypin file from the CD. Keep an extra copy if it should happend again.

You could also go to directory /usr/local/bin/. Here are all the default puppy program-links. Just drag and drop them on the desktop.

alienjeff

Here's the "fix"

#3 Post by alienjeff »

Though certainly not the most graceful method, here's how I got the short-cut icons back to the desktop.

1) HD install another instance of 2.0.1 on a spare partition

2) Remove /root/Choices folder from "broken" installation

3) Copy /root/Choices folder from newly installed instance of 2.0.1 to "broken" installation

I'm still trying to figure out how my PuppyPin file, as well as other items in /root/Choices, became MIA or AWOL. It very well have been a case of Operator Headspace (heh) and not a bug within Puppy 2.0.1.

I'm just relieved to have my full compliment of icons and shortcuts back on my desktop. This exercise in insanity has convinced me of the importance of frequent back-ups, as well as writing some cron scripts to automatically launch scheduled "mini back-ups."