Developer Tools GUI

Miscellaneous tools
majorfoo

#21 Post by majorfoo »

puppyluvr wrote: As for tar to pet conversion..
tar xvf *.tar.gz
dir2pet *
Ex..
tar xvf "something".tar.gz
will create directory "something"
dir2pet "something"
will then turn it into a .pet

dir2pet will create a menu entry and a specs file...

I tried your Developer Tools application and used xscreensaver-5.14.tar.gz in my experiment. I d/l src2pkg-2.5-noarch.pet as instructed, installed it and ran your app.

It worked flawlessly - it created xscreensaver-5.14-i486-1.pet which installed without any problems and did not need any dependencies.
It has 197 screensavers, 185 work and 12 do not. The 12 that do not work need a font that I don't have on my current install.

This is a great tool to create pet from source with very few keystrokes from user.

I am very happy with the results of this test.

Next I tried your instructions above to create a pet using dir2pet.
A pet was created and when I tried to install, the results were a disaster. Guess it all depends on what you are using in the directory that you are creating pet from.

Anyway, one out of two is not bad for me.

Thanks for providing and look forward to your refinement of the application.

majorfoo

Tman

#22 Post by Tman »

majorfoo wrote:
Next I tried your instructions above to create a pet using dir2pet.
A pet was created and when I tried to install, the results were a disaster. Guess it all depends on what you are using in the directory that you are creating pet from.
majorfoo, what package were you trying to convert into a pet? I'm just curious becuase I've never encountered that problem, albeit I have been using linux for less than a year.

If you are in a frugal install, make sure that you unpack the tar.gz files inside of the linux filesystem and not in a Windows file system, or the permissions of the extracted files will get messed up. I usually make a folder named /tmp/pet and do the work from there. Now that I think about it, I should just get puppy to create a /tmp/pet folder on startup.

Clarification: I meant the linux file system in the frugal install; no need to do a full puppy install.