HOWTO add login and password when booting Puppy

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
gerry

#21 Post by gerry »

Well, I've had etc/inittab modified for some time, so that a login is required. Then I realised that no grandchildren were scheduled to visit until Christmas, so I modified the file back to normal to save having to log in. Disaster! Puppy (Wary) won't boot any more.

I get-

getty: tty1; can't exec /bin/autologinroot

over and over again until I use the power button to put the poor computer out of its misery.

What to do?

(Live cd with save file)

EDIT: as I can't boot Wary, I dug out my old Puppy 431 cd. That boots, but I looked at /etc/inittab, and found that I had modified it to require login, then commented out the password line and restored the original, and it works. That's exactly what I did with Wary, but the restored file does not work. Huh??

midmen

Want the login prompt at bootup to be hidden/camouflageed

#22 Post by midmen »

Gorilla no baka, or anyone who knows the answer:

Would you please tell me what file you modified to change the login prompt as seen in your screen shot. I have looked for quite awhile and was unable to find it.

Thank you for your help.

Burunduk

#23 Post by Burunduk »

midmen wrote:Would you please tell me what file you modified to change the login prompt as seen in your screen shot. I have looked for quite awhile and was unable to find it.
Nobody knows where the hostname is stored. In the /etc/hostname maybe. :)

Still there is another way, although I can't guarantee it won't screw up anything in your system.

Create an executable script /bin/goofylogin similar to this one:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

echo -en "\\033[1;31m"
echo "Warning! An unexpected error occurred!"
echo "All the data on your hard disk has been deleted."
echo -e "\\033[0;39m"
echo -n "Continue anyway? "

read username

exec login $username
and change the line tty1::respawn:/sbin/getty -n -l /bin/autologinroot 38400 tty1

to tty1::respawn:/sbin/getty -n -l /bin/goofylogin 38400 tty1

in the /etc/inittab file.

midmen

want the login prompt at bootup to be hidden/camouflageed

#24 Post by midmen »

Burunduk,

Thank you for your response. I should have been more specific. Changing the hostname will put anything I desire in front of the "login" prompt. What I would like to do is eliminate or change the wording "login" from the screen. What file holds the code at this point in the process? I have narrowed it down to getty or busybox, but I am not an expert on this so I am not sure. Also, how does one access the code within getty or busybox?

Puppy 528 on a USB

agordon

Forgot password

#25 Post by agordon »

I installed puppy linux on a usb drive, ran a session on my computer, saved the session to the hard drive, set a password, and then forgot the password. Is there a way to re-set the password? If not how do I uninstall the saved session so that I can re-install puppy linux and start over?

Thank You

slackfan

#26 Post by slackfan »

it is possible to give to the user root rights / to define more than one user with different rights (children, guest/visitors) and to save it in the remastered iso?