Seamonkey download manager - open containing Folder (solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
emil

Seamonkey download manager - open containing Folder (solved)

#1 Post by emil »

A small nuisance. Probably I am just dumb but:
if I download something and right click the downloaded file in the Download Manager (Ctrl+j) there is an option "Open containing Folder"

This could be handy because I always forget where I download stuff

But it is not working for me: first It said something like: don't know which Program to use and the file selector pops. I choose /usr/bin/rox and now it says

"File doesn't exist or coouldn't open"

I can't even find a setting in Properties where to change that again.

Help anyone?
thanks
emil
Last edited by emil on Sun 23 Oct 2011, 21:49, edited 1 time in total.

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

How about here? Of course if you're referring to an addon, state which..

emil

#3 Post by emil »

Hi Semme, thanks for quick answer.
No I don't mean how to specify the download folder, I mean if you start the download manager (Ctrl+j or Tools/Download Manager from menu bar) you have a list of downloaded files.

Then right click on one of these files and you get the option Open Containing folder (this is greyed as long as the download isn't complete). But this option is not working for me (not in lupu 511 and not in the new slacko RC).

I think I miss something obvious :roll:

pemasu

#4 Post by pemasu »

I remember that Kirk posted something of that kind fix in Fat Dog thread some time ago. You could check if it works with Firefox in that distro. Then you know more.
I remember that there is script called rox-firefox in /usr/local/bin in Fat Dog. It might be related.

Also creating new handlers with about:config could solve the problem.

Try google with appropriate search terms.

Semme

#5 Post by Semme »

Yes, I realized a bit late. I'm in agreement with pemasu that a script is what's required.

trapster

#6 Post by trapster »

Open geany (or your preferred text editor) and create a file called rox1 with the following:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
exec rox -U "$@"
Save the file in /usr/local/bin

Make it executable

In seamonky:
Edit > Preferences > Browser > Helper Applications:
add rox1 under the "Content Type > file" entry.
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

Semme

#7 Post by Semme »

Say trapster- what's the $@ for?

trapster

#8 Post by trapster »

if [ trapster != google ];
then
google
fi
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

Semme

#9 Post by Semme »

Yes, brilliant. While I was hoping for a quick once over as to how it was being applied here, I'll persist with your link.
Last edited by Semme on Sun 23 Oct 2011, 21:37, edited 1 time in total.

emil

Thanks

#10 Post by emil »

Works like a charm,
thanks trapster!

miriam

#11 Post by miriam »

I had a similar problem as Emil, but choosing "Open Containing Folder" in the download manager opened a completely unrelated program (EasyMp3). Weird.

So I did a search on Google, and after a lot of useless pages I found this page:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=266600
If you scroll down to comment 17 by Ahmad Samir he explains very clearly the problem and how to fix it. Just in case the page disappears in the future I'll quote that item here:
Ahmad Samir 2009-01-30 04:52:06 PST

It seems that firefox (and most GTK apps running in kde3 and kde4, such as file-roller and catfish) don't respect kde's file type associations. Instead firefox looks at:
- /usr/share/applications/defaults.list : this is, AFAICT, a static file created when you first install the system

AND

- /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache : this is a dynamically changing file, it's changed when you install a new programme. So for example it will change when you install nautilus or pcmanfm in kde.

Firefox will look first at defaults.list but will give preference to mimeinfo.cache. So if the same entry (e.g. inode/directory) exists in both defaults.list and mimeinfo.cache firefox will take whatever mimeinfo.cache says.

You can manually make "Open containing folder" use your favourite programme by editing /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache . Basically you need to edit the "inode/directory=" entry and put the desired application's .desktop name up front, so to use dolphin, change it to:

inode/directory=kde4-dolphin.desktop;

Notice the extra kde4 in kde4-dolphin.desktop , this is necessary because dolphin.desktop is not in the same folder as mimeinfo.cache; mimeinfo.cache is in /usr/share/applications while dolphin.desktop is in /usr/share/applications/kde4 . If a .desktop file is going to be used and it exists in /usr/share/applications then use its plain name without a prefix.

To use konqueror instead of dolphin it should be:
inode/directory=kde4-kfmclient_dir.desktop;

Be aware though that /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache will be changed automatically when you install a new *relevant* programme/file manager such as nautilus. However you can maintain a local copy that will not be changed when you install anything else, put a copy of defaults.list and mimeinfo.cache in your home folder in ~.local/share/applications.

The problem that existed with dolphin not using the right folder url has vanished in kde 4.2. The problem was that by default the command line in dolphin.desktop was "dolphin %i -caption "%c" %u" and that didn't work in kde 4.1.2 but it works OK with the same command line in KDE 4.2 (I wouldn't take that to the court, though :) ) I know for sure that it's working OK in kde 4.2 .

My system specs:
KDE 4.2
Firefox 3.0.5

A wild guess is that in gnome there's gnome-settings-manager that makes whatever file associations you change in Gnome get applied when you log into Gnome, but gnome-settings-manager isn't run in KDE.
So, what I did was edited both /usr/share/applications/defaults.list and /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache and finding that neither had an entry for inode, I added the line:

Code: Select all

inode/directory=ROX-Filer-file-manager.desktop;
to each. Immediately those files are saved seamonkey works as it should -- no need to restart, even.

Yay!
[color=blue]A life! Cool! Where can I download one of those from?[/color]