Slacko Puppy 5.3.1 Released

News, happenings
Aitch

#61 Post by Aitch »

As far as I remember....8088, then 8086, 186 was a hard drive controller chip, not a processor,
....286/386/486 were processors up to pentium

i586 is for the Intel Pentium (as released circa 1994), and later compatible
models from Intel, AMD, et al.

i686 refers to for Pentium II and later.
Then they stopped using x86 numbers after a Court row between Intel and AMD said numbers can't be patented....

i386 binaries will work on i486, i586, and i686 processors, but not necessarily the other way around (sometimes an i686-optimized binary will seem slower on an i586 machine and sometimes it won't work at all)

I can't think why Slacko won't run on a pentium11 -686, and later processors

Aitch :)

Stripe

#62 Post by Stripe »

Part of the problem with VLC, like some other programs eg chrome, is that it doesn't like to run as root, which Puppy runs as, hence the issues.
As long as when vlc is compiled the "--enable-run-as-root" flag is added to the "./configure" command it works perfectly when you run as root. (has been done in the slacko vlc 1.1.11 pet) alternatively you can edit the binary using emacs or something similar (has worked for me in the past)

hope this helps

Don
Last edited by Stripe on Wed 26 Oct 2011, 11:20, edited 1 time in total.

Sage

#63 Post by Sage »

Flashplayer is required for BBC/iplayer, Demand5 (like to watch Suzi Perry in action), jazzfm.com, and radioplayer.
problems with ibiblio should try nluug
Ibiblio is working but sometimes very slow. I recommend the Dutch site for Europeans.

8-bit

#64 Post by 8-bit »

Yes, I really wonder why otherwise intelligent folk seem ready to queue up to line the pockets of the likes of Apple and MS for what is (at best) no better than Puppy and usually much the inferior in many aspects.
I do not think people are lining up to fill MS and Apple pockets.
I think it is more along the line of MS trying, quite successfully, to convince PC manufacturers to use their OS.

The people buy a PC and Windows is the OS on it. Apple builds their PCs to their specs and so they do not have to go the extra mile to make their OS compatible with other hardware.
They both have locked down OSes that do not give the user much freedom in setting things up and consider all users dumb and that their OS has to be protected from them.
They also want all users to set themselves up as unprivileged users of the OS supposedly for safety.

Of course, excepting Puppy, you could say the same thing about linux and the argument against running as root.

loubapache

#65 Post by loubapache »

Stripe wrote: I have not even tried to install flashplayer as its requirements are well above my systems specs (just have a look at flashplayer's hardware requirements on the adobe site) and I think mick made the right decision not to support it. resource wise it is using the same if not less than any other modern puppy 30 to 40mb of ram at rest.
I am a little confuses about "right decision not to support it." In RC1 and RC2, I was able to install Flash player right after I install Chromium and launch it. Slacko would prompt me to install Flash and it downloads and installs. Flash plays very smooth on very minimal hardware.

In the official release of Slacko 530, Flash would not install. The included install would download and then says install fails. If I use PPM to install Flash 10, it says bad link. This has been reported by "Sage" earlier in this thread.

Among all Puppies I have tried, Slacko is the only one that can play flash smoothly (for 4 computers I have tried). Puppy 525 and 528 were jerky and this is not a Linux thing. Yes, Windows plays flash smoothly on these machines, and so do Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Crunchbang, etc.

From RC1, I kept having problems with heavily encrypted savefiles. The subsequent boot will show kernel panic. This was in RC1, RC2, and the final release. I have tried frugal and boot straight from CD but just cannot use encrypted savefile(using ext2) on ext3 or 4 linux partitions. Normal (non-encrypted) savefile works fine.
Last edited by loubapache on Wed 26 Oct 2011, 12:12, edited 1 time in total.

Stripe

#66 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

@loubapache have you tried the "getflash install flashplayer" option from the internet section in the main menu" as this worked for me.

regarding the savefile problems I would post it in the bugs section (slacko puppy 5.3) so that 01micko see's it. I dont have any other help regarding that sorry

hope this helps

Don

loubapache

#67 Post by loubapache »

Stripe wrote:Hi all

@loubapache have you tried the "getflash install flashplayer" option from the internet section in the main menu" as this worked for me.

regarding the savefile problems I would post it in the bugs section (slacko puppy 5.3) so that 01micko see's it. I dont have any other help regarding that sorry

hope this helps

Don
Yes, I did (both), Don. Thanks for your reply. I actually tried 4 different ways:

PPM, the option you mentioned, a PET file made by someone for Flash 11 download, and another method from a language PET.

The method you mentioned showed the downloading screen (almost 100%) then the installer quit.

Sage also had the same Flash install problem (PPM).

Stripe

#68 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

loubapache you are downloading the pet first before installing?

don

loubapache

#69 Post by loubapache »

loubapache you are downloading the pet first before installing?

don
Thank you so much for your Flash (11) PET. I downloaded it and installed it and now Flash is working.

Thank you again.

Buuuut, Slacko 5.30 with Flash 11 on Chromium plays flash jerky. It is just like other puppies (525, 528, Turbo extreme, lighthouse, and browserlinux). The only time I was able to get smooth flash with Puppy was Slacko RC1 with Flash 11. I wish I had saved my save file.

The machine I am testing on is my (flash) movie player connected to a TV: 1.73 GHz, 1 GB RAM, and 128 MB VRAM).

So my search for a smaller distro as a moviel player still balked at CrunchBang 10 Openbox and Linux Mint Debian Edition XFCE. Both play Flash beautifully. Both use Chrome as the browser and it updated to version 15 last night. There is no need to fiddle about flash because Chrome packages it within. Linux Mint 10 LXDE is not far behind.

What I found about Flash is that a light or small distro does not necessarily play it better. These distros may use less memory at boot up (idling) but once you launch a modern browser, they use just about as much resources as the larger distros (Ubuntu 11 excluded).

Thanks.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#70 Post by Lobster »

What I found about Flash is that a light or small distro does not necessarily play it better. These distros may use less memory at boot up (idling) but once you launch a modern browser, they use just about as much resources as the larger distros (Ubuntu 11 excluded).
That is interesting. Could this have anything to do with running a 'compressed OS', which Puppy is, or am I barking up the wrong piece of kelp? :shock:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

loubapache

#71 Post by loubapache »

Lobster wrote:That is interesting. Could this have anything to do with running a 'compressed OS', which Puppy is, or am I barking up the wrong piece of kelp? :shock:
I wish I know so my quest would end now. About Puppy and (jerky) flash, my gut feeling is about the kernel or library but I do not know for sure what it is. I forgot to mention that I have also tried Wary 5.1.4 and 5.2 but their flash performance is the same (jerky) as other Puppy derivatives. All these puppies run blazing fast on file management, etc but once a modern browser (Chrome 13/14, Chromium >14, Firefox 7, Opera 11) launches and play flash, the video is jerky.

In terms of RAM use, here are some interesting numbers for various distros. The first number is the bootup (idling with conky) RAM use and the second number is with Chrome running and two tabs open: one is my gmail and another is youtube (playing the same flash file). All these are customized to my liking with the necessary apps, languages, and inputs:

Puppy 5.2.8: 95 MB / 300 MB
#! 10 Statler: 70 MB / 250 MB
LMDE XFCE: 99 MB / 280 MB
Ubuntu 10.10: 190 MB / 450 MB

All, except Puppy 5.2.8, play flash smoothly.

Ubuntu 10.10 also has Dropbox started automatically so that uses some extra resources.

jim3630

#72 Post by jim3630 »

loubapache wrote:

hope this helps

Don
Yes, I did (both), Don. Thanks for your reply. I actually tried 4 different ways:

PPM, the option you mentioned, a PET file made by someone for Flash 11 download, and another method from a language PET.

The method you mentioned showed the downloading screen (almost 100%) then the installer quit.

Sage also had the same Flash install problem (PPM).
loubapache,

when the installer quit for me was when my machine over heated which was an older box with marginal at best fan. the fix for me was sitting this notebook in front of a external fan while compiling till it finished. hope it helps.

Aitch

#73 Post by Aitch »

Ve haf vays of testing yer browser.... :wink: :lol:

http://peacekeeper.futuremark.com/

Iron is said to be fast

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59933

loubapache

#74 Post by loubapache »

Aitch wrote:Ve haf vays of testing yer browser.... :wink: :lol:

http://peacekeeper.futuremark.com/

Iron is said to be fast

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59933

King of the Hill, that is what I use. Not many Linux Distro package Chrome as the default browser.

About Iron: (one opinion, though).
http://chromium.hybridsource.org/the-iron-scam

Aitch

#75 Post by Aitch »

I would concur about Iron

I just ran Peacekeeper and got:

Firefox 262
Chrome 924
Iron 926

Not much in it, but Firefox surprised me....[I have adblockplus and noscript running, but enabled for the test]

futwerk

#76 Post by futwerk »

Great work guys, slacko runs like a charm.

Icyos

#77 Post by Icyos »

Hi All

Many thanks for all the fab hard work may I just say we need more app's in the repos, also what is the max ram it can see please??????

Stripe

#78 Post by Stripe »

Hi icyos

ammount of ram seen depends on the version you are using

the 5.3-main can see about 3.5Gb of ram
the 5.3-PAE (SCSI) can see upto 63Gb(I think) of ram, well all of my 8Gb anyway

Hope this helps

Don

Aitch

#79 Post by Aitch »

Hi mick.....late to the party, I know....

I've just burned and booted slacko, pretty painless boot up, all OK, with 1 minor annoyance....
I have a usb VOIP phone and a Behringer UCA202 audio device, and my favourite sounds are playing through my VOIP phone....

Any idea what I need to do to specify/identify the Behringer as my main usb sound device, yet still get voice through the usb voip phone?

Also, a bit of a niggle,.... I specified 1024x768x16 for my video in xorg, to suit my poor eyesight and crap monitor, and xorg then informed me I had an SIS chipset and it needed tweaking or something, answer yes or no to proceed with tweak.....it reset my video to 1200x1024x24.....great picture, but text unreadable by my poor eyes.....so I had to answer no when re-running the xorg wizard to keep my settings

Otherwise, networking setup easily, 1st run of seamonkey installed flash....which promptly crashed on testing youtube...but otherwise, OK

savefile created OK, and smooth reboot

NICE! ....just I need the sound setup info, please

Attachments
2xusbaudio screeny.png
(100.03 KiB) Downloaded 415 times

01micko

#80 Post by 01micko »

Hi Aitch,

As a matter of fact I have a UCA202 (I think, if not an earlier similar model) in my shed, just haven't tested it yet.

You can try the multiple sound card wizard, by kirk, it is called by:

Code: Select all

Multiple-Sound-Card-Wizard
May well deserve a menu entry
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access