Slacko Puppy 5.3.1

Please post any bugs you have found
KBD47

#61 Post by KBD47 »

Are the repositories for slacko package manager working for anyone? About to give up on this distro, nothing will download from the repositories from me besides slackpet.

jim3630

#62 Post by jim3630 »

KBD47 wrote:Are the repositories for slacko package manager working for anyone? About to give up on this distro, nothing will download from the repositories from me besides slackpet.
works for me. did slickpet>morepets>updatepuppypackagemanager first.

jim3630

#63 Post by jim3630 »

this problem is long standing and unreported since didn't know but just tried racy beta2 and found out how good it can be when it works correctly.

racy auto-detects 1920x1080 display with a HDMI cable connected to external monitor AND fills the width of my computer monitor. How sweet!

slacko auto-detects 1024x768 with a HDMI output to large screen but the computer display monitor has a diminished width.

slacko highest can choose is 1600x900 and computer display is full width but cannot get HDMI output to external screen. kind of box looking and 1024x768 is only resolution can get to work with external monitor.

slacko unable to choose 1920x1080. noticed Racy auto-detected vesa driver and Slacko uses my intel driver.

how can get 1920x1080 or 1600x900 display on external monitor display? Or how can get 1024x768 display that fills the width of computer display?
thnaks

------------

persistance... got 1600x900 on HDMI external and full screen computer monitor by re-running xorg Wizard instead of trying menu>XorgWizard>resolution changer.

can get 1024x768 display that fills the width of computer display and external monitor?
Last edited by jim3630 on Fri 28 Oct 2011, 00:36, edited 2 times in total.

DPUP5520

#64 Post by DPUP5520 »

Just realized audio is not working either on my Satellite E205-S1980, tried reconfiguring audio options and checked everything I could think of and still cannot get it working.
Attachments
HTOP.png
(31.73 KiB) Downloaded 1437 times
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69651][b][i]PupRescue 2.5[/i][/b][/url]
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72178][b][i]Puppy Crypt 528[/i][/b][/url]

MoebusNet

#65 Post by MoebusNet »

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Slacko Puppy, version 5.3

Chip description:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation N10 Family Graphics Controller
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation N10 Family Graphics Controller

Driver used by Xorg:
intel

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: “1024x600“ Depth: Depth 24

# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
301 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.197 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.957 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.958 FPS

-Computer-
Processor : 2x Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N450 @ 1.66GHz
Memory : 1023MB (174MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Thu 27 Oct 2011 09:10:09 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x600 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Mesa DRI Intel(R) IGD x86/MMX/SSE2
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
-Input Devices-
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse
Power Button
Sleep Button
Lid Switch
Power Button
PC Speaker
1.3M WebCam
Video Bus
-Printers (CUPS)-
CUPS-PDF : <i>Default</i>

Hardware: See signature. Touchpad still thinks it's a mouse :(

EDIT: Forgot to mention that my built-in ENE card reader is working flawlessly with this Pup. Thank you for all the hard work! This Pup is working well for me.
Last edited by MoebusNet on Fri 28 Oct 2011, 14:07, edited 1 time in total.
Acer Aspire One D255-2301 (N450 Atom @ 1.6 Ghz, 1 Gb RAM, 160 Gb HDD w/WinXP, ENE SD card reader, Alps touchpad) 5.28/5.3.1 via manual-frugal ext4 USB flash drive (4Gb) using GRUB4DOS

01micko

#66 Post by 01micko »

Those users with sound issues:

If you have the speaker icon in the tray then sound is recognised. You need to right click that icon and configure retrovol,

Failing that, there is a generic mixer menu entry in the multimedia menu. This runs alsamixer. Adjust and turn on what you think needs adjusting, then hit the TAB key for more settings.

For multiple sound cards run Multiple-Sound-Card-Wizard in a terminal emulator (rxvt).

If you have trouble with multiple sound card settings in gnome-mplayer there is an older version in PPM which is reported to work better with multiple sound cards.

There is also a sound configuration utility from the setup icon. Please try all these before attempting to use alsaconf.

Hope this helps.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

James C

#67 Post by James C »

KBD47 wrote:Are the repositories for slacko package manager working for anyone? About to give up on this distro, nothing will download from the repositories from me besides slackpet.
Working fine here.

wingevil

ZIM

#68 Post by wingevil »

I installed slacko today on my old notebook and OOB all run very well. Then I installed "zim" (a desktop wiki) from the salix repos. The installation with the neccessary dependencies was working without any error message, but after the installation ZIM won't start. Nothing happens! :cry:

I installed zim on several other boxes with Salix and also with native slackware 13.x so I know, that the app works fine. Can someone give me a hint, how to solve the problem under slacko???

tony

#69 Post by tony »

Hi,

pupcamera works better than anything similar I have seen before in puppy but only works once per session. To use it again I have to reboot.

Also getting lots of these error messages with dmesg :-

aufs au_lkup_dentry:273:rdev[25208]: I/O Error, both of real entry and whiteout found, seq, err -5

Thanks for all your efforts. Regards Tony.

tpw

#70 Post by tpw »

01micko wrote:tpw

Welcome to puppy :)

You will notice after you run flsynclient there is a Xdialog which pops up asking if your touchpad settings are ok. if you answered "yes" then run flsynclient again and answer "no". restart X. I have the issue with the main version on my r51 Thinkpad and this resolves the issue.
Thanks for the the welcome and the help 01micko. My problem is that at no stage do I ever see the Xdialog you are referring to. Even on a fresh frugal install with no savefile loaded. Any ideas? In desperation I've tried editing the xorg.conf file directly. I can speed up the touchpad but can't get tapping for mouseclick functionality.

Thanks again

Wognath

Re: I like, couple issues

#71 Post by Wognath »

KBD47 wrote:... Usually touchpad on my netbook works pretty well with default puppy setting, but with slacko had to turn everything up because touchpad response and movement was terribly slow compared to other puppies. But that I could fix.
How did you fix the slow touchpad? I have had no luck with the configure touchpad tool. usb mouse works fine. Thanks.

01micko

#72 Post by 01micko »

tpw wrote:
01micko wrote:tpw

Welcome to puppy :)

You will notice after you run flsynclient there is a Xdialog which pops up asking if your touchpad settings are ok. if you answered "yes" then run flsynclient again and answer "no". restart X. I have the issue with the main version on my r51 Thinkpad and this resolves the issue.
Thanks for the the welcome and the help 01micko. My problem is that at no stage do I ever see the Xdialog you are referring to. Even on a fresh frugal install with no savefile loaded. Any ideas? In desperation I've tried editing the xorg.conf file directly. I can speed up the touchpad but can't get tapping for mouseclick functionality.

Thanks again
There is a file, /etc/$TOUCHPAD-configured, where TOUCHPAD= synaptic, elantech or alps. Delete it and try again.

The script is at /usr/sbin/flsynclient-wrappper. I probably should remove the creation of /etc/${TOUHCPAD}-configured as flsynclient is usually only run the once or twice and that little nag screen is not too intrusive.

I just tested light encryption, working fine except that gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders --update-cache needs to be run to get icons working, else you get the warning symbols (triangles).

I also tested this in Racy and a similar gdk-pixbuf bug is apparent. Same fix.

MoebusNet

Dell D800 notebook

#73 Post by MoebusNet »

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Slacko Puppy, version 5.3

Chip description:
oem: NVIDIA
product: NV28 Board Chip Rev A2

Driver used by Xorg:
nvidia

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: “ 1280x800 “ Depth: Depth 24

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video

# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
6635 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1326.967 FPS
9860 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1971.919 FPS
15184 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3036.728 FPS
15667 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3133.283 FPS
15468 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3093.420 FPS
15618 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3123.421 FPS

-Computer-
Processor : Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1400MHz
Memory : 2074MB (99MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Sat 29 Oct 2011 01:46:39 AM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1280x800 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : GeForce4 4200 Go/AGP/SSE2
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : ICH4 - Intel 82801DB-ICH4
-Input Devices-
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
DualPoint Stick
AlpsPS/2 ALPS DualPoint TouchPad
Video Bus
Lid Switch
Power Button
Sleep Button
PC Speaker

Dell Latitude D800 running manual-frugal install to ext4 USB flash drive w/ Grub4DOS
Acer Aspire One D255-2301 (N450 Atom @ 1.6 Ghz, 1 Gb RAM, 160 Gb HDD w/WinXP, ENE SD card reader, Alps touchpad) 5.28/5.3.1 via manual-frugal ext4 USB flash drive (4Gb) using GRUB4DOS

James C

#74 Post by James C »

Moved up to number 5....
Attachments
puppy on distrowatch.png
(31.52 KiB) Downloaded 2966 times

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#75 Post by Lobster »

Whenever they became available I always made use of the ++ or PAE hi mem version of Slacko during testing.
However my main computer is older than two years and 'only' has 2GB of ram. I run from DVD and set up a 4GB save file, so this time I stuck with the standard Slacko . . .

I have noticed that Seamonkey after a lot of use and a lot of open tabs does slow down and eventually stop responding, something I did not notice previously during beta and RC stage using the PAE.

Is there any other advantage of PAE? Should I go over to that to see if it works as before? 8)

Thanks guys. :)
Last edited by Lobster on Sat 29 Oct 2011, 10:34, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

01micko

#76 Post by 01micko »

Hi Lob

I have noticed shortcomings in Seamonkey too. Heaven or Hell forbid, maybe Sage is right! :lol:

For this series we will stick with it, but I intend a decent upgrade in the New Year, possibly with Opera as the default browser. I have always liked Opera. I have stuck with Seamonkey because I like it too. However it is getting too closely tied to Firefox, which I have never liked. As a matter of fact, ttuuxx posted a link referring to Firefox's movement to the dark side. :shock:

Over the coming months I am going to rigorously test and abuse Opera, I think it can be made smaller than Seamonkey too. It does have proprietary ties but I will draw attention to pa_mcmlamrock's signature...
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

mavrothal

#77 Post by mavrothal »

01micko wrote:For this series we will stick with it, but I intend a decent upgrade in the New Year, possibly with Opera as the default browser. I have always liked Opera. I have stuck with Seamonkey because I like it too.
I think webkit-based browsers (Chrome and other metals, Midori, Safari) are better these days because webkit looks like a better engine.
The only problem I see is that no one else besides Google makes a version that is not i686. So older hardware is eliminated.

A Midori 0.4+ (i486/i586) looks an very appealing alternative if possible...
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

emil

browser

#78 Post by emil »

I like opera very much, especially the mailing engine is very nice (I have a small business with different office-locations and I have to use Imap accounts to stay in sync everywhere). I especially like the "thread"-view of the mails.

For me opera is superior to seamonkey as browser and mail client, but there is no composer module. How many people need that?

kind regards
emil

Ray MK

#79 Post by Ray MK »

Hi all

Browser? - always a personal choice - however for me

1) Opera 2) QtWeb 3) Seamonkey 4) Dillo

very rarely use firefox - too greedy with resouces.
(especially with ram challenged kit)

Usually run an SFS loaded with JRB's excellent sfs_tcz linker
or expand a tgz into a folder and then execute it from there.

One of the many benefits is that your save_file is kept free of cr*p
and any of the browsers in folders on the hdd are readily / easily
available to your Puppy of choice.

Just my 0002 cents worth - HTH - regards Ray

wuxiandianzi

help

#80 Post by wuxiandianzi »

Hi 01micko:

Thank you very much for this pup distro.

I have one problem: when I load devx_XXX.sfs file. Gcc works good, But I have find a "bug", maybe it is not.

# gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.5.2/specs
COLLECT_GCC=gcc
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/usr/libexec/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.5.2/lto-wrapper
Target: i486-slackware-linux
Configured with: ../gcc-4.5.2/configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib --mandir=/usr/man --infodir=/usr/info --enable-shared --enable-bootstrap --enable-languages=ada,c,c++,fortran,java,objc,lto --enable-threads=posix --enable-checking=release --with-system-zlib --with-python-dir=/lib/python2.6/site-packages --disable-libunwind-exceptions --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-libssp --enable-lto --with-gnu-ld --verbose --with-arch=i486 --target=i486-slackware-linux --build=i486-slackware-linux --host=i486-slackware-linux
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.5.2 (GCC)
#

This: --with-python-dir=/lib/python2.6/site-packages

python2.6 is in /usr/lib/ not /lib/

So I think it will wrong when comoile gcc-version in spup.

I do not know why, When I go to slackware linux, I find the same problem.