Slacko Puppy 5.3.1 Released

News, happenings
Sage

#81 Post by Sage »

I specified 1024x768x16 for my video in xorg, to suit my poor eyesight and crap monitor, and xorg then informed me I had an SIS chipset and it needed tweaking or something, answer yes or no to proceed with tweak..
Yup, lots of us have this feature. I even reported the raised res. subterfuge previously. On some earlier SW/HW combos, reducing it back to 1024x768 after overrunning at a higher res, (dangerous!) worked, but not now. Otherwise, I have temporarily given up on Slacko until mick has a stroke of inspiration or resurrects stuff in his shed. Or both.

Since SiS chipsets were used on ECS boards, the largest manu. in the world by a very large margin, and since silver surfers (most with contracting eyeballs!) are in a large majority, this 'feature' needs urgent attention by this young, healthy, hyper-active (definitely an asset in this game!) and extremely talented developer.
which promptly crashed on testing youtube
Got that, too. You'll never persuade BK to shift on the issue of browsers, but you'll find Opera doesn't crash. Did I see that Chrome is also more reliable? Midori, on the other hand may do most of what you need?

Aitch

Multiple Sound Cards

#82 Post by Aitch »

Tman made a dotpet of the Multiple Sound Card Wizard

http://smokey01.com/Tman/apps/Multiple_ ... Wizard.pet

Info thread, here

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64841

Woohoo!

....though I'm still in windoze, :oops: so will be trying it soon

edit: yabbadabbadoo - it works! Youtube/music AND skypephone

Thanks, Tman/Mick/Kirk :D

Aitch :)

Icyos

#83 Post by Icyos »

Sage wrote:
I specified 1024x768x16 for my video in xorg, to suit my poor eyesight and crap monitor, and xorg then informed me I had an SIS chipset and it needed tweaking or something, answer yes or no to proceed with tweak..
Yup, lots of us have this feature. I even reported the raised res. subterfuge previously. On some earlier SW/HW combos, reducing it back to 1024x768 after overrunning at a higher res, (dangerous!) worked, but not now. Otherwise, I have temporarily given up on Slacko until mick has a stroke of inspiration or resurrects stuff in his shed. Or both.

Since SiS chipsets were used on ECS boards, the largest manu. in the world by a very large margin, and since silver surfers (most with contracting eyeballs!) are in a large majority, this 'feature' needs urgent attention by this young, healthy, hyper-active (definitely an asset in this game!) and extremely talented developer.
which promptly crashed on testing youtube
Got that, too. You'll never persuade BK to shift on the issue of browsers, but you'll find Opera doesn't crash. Did I see that Chrome is also more reliable? Midori, on the other hand may do most of what you need?
Hi I believe this is not an issue of Puppy Linux but of Linux in general, I do not know of a distro which runs or likes SIS chipsets are they really are cheap and nasty, however I do except they are plentiful so a solution would be good.

Icyos

#84 Post by Icyos »

Stripe wrote:Hi icyos

ammount of ram seen depends on the version you are using

the 5.3-main can see about 3.5Gb of ram
the 5.3-PAE (SCSI) can see upto 63Gb(I think) of ram, well all of my 8Gb anyway

Hope this helps

Don
Hi all well once again Puppy Blows me away with my version of slacko seeing all my 8GB of ram in my laptop, may I just congratulate micko and all the guys working on this project you are all so wonderful and have no idea the pleasure you give this community and users in general. May I just ask and beg for more software in the repos please and this is my system of choice.

Karl Godt

#85 Post by Karl Godt »

Congrats for Slacko !
uname -a : Linux kalleSlackoFrugalnormKernel 2.6.37.6 #1 SMP Sun Jul 10 08:27:28 EST 2011 i686 GNU/Linux

runs well as all other puppies on my average P4-2,4GHz:448MBram:NV18-Board-Chip-Rev-A2 desktop pc .

PUPMODE=5
Working OK :
xsane-0.997/sane-1.0.21
cups-1.4.6:setup,printing directly from geany-0.20
sound:2barks to hear
the firstrun-wizard for language,hostname,etcetera

What i like :
desktop,icons,theme
no direct to desktop like lupu,new wary/racy
cups_shell ; )
not much in xerrs.log,bootinit.log,bootsysinit.log

Whats new :
xorg-server-1.9.5 ( Puppy4=1.3.0,5=1.7.x,new racy=1.11.0 )
/lib/libc-2.13.so
/usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0.2400.4
/usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0.2300.3

What i can live with :
There had been suggestions on the forum to run the firstrun-wizard with an '&' , so the tray icons would show up in parallel , not after all that procedure .

Expect everything would work ok after restart .
Though , doing a cp -r /initrd/pup_rw to hostpartition/folder now , and try the encrypted savefile .

Very fine Puppy !!

tasmod

#86 Post by tasmod »

Psync updated to version 2.7.

Quite a bug that no-one mentioned till now.

The standard unaltered '/etc/clock' file contains two very similar lines.

I rewrote Psync a few versions back to accomodate 'hardware clock as UTC' being set in zone wizard. However the zone wizard rewrites the '/etc/clock' file with a one line UTC entry.

In my defence, I didn't see this at the time of testing as I had already run the zone wizard, so the new code faulted on a standard 'clock' file and didn't set the hardware clock. The software clock however was changed so most users wouldn't notice.
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

Sage

#87 Post by Sage »

I believe this is not an issue of Puppy Linux but of Linux in general, I do not know of a distro which runs or likes SIS chipsets
You are mistaken - all my other distro work just fine with SiS.
they really are cheap and nasty,
You are mistaken - they are excellent and reliable, more so that ATI or nV in many instances.

Hope I read what you intended - there are issue of missing punctuation and grammar, possibly typos.

Karl Godt

YEP , shutdown save to encrypted savefile did not work

#88 Post by Karl Godt »

Short note : The new shutdown-yaf-gui || && rc.shutdown [together]
seem to have failed copying the new installed files ie libflashplayer
to the ext2 encrypted heavy crypta file .

The crypta savefile on none-OS ntfs partition had been created

AND mounted at reboot successfully :

# cat /etc/rc.d/BOOTCONFIG
LASTUNIONRECORD='slackosave_crypta-2011_10_29_ext2_cryptA.2fs puppy_slacko_5.3.sfs

# mount
/dev/sda4 on /initrd/mnt/dev_save type fuseblk (rw,noatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,blksize=4096)
/dev/loop1 on /initrd/pup_rw type ext2 (rw,noatime,errors=continue)

# df
/dev/sda4 14964544 10477376 4487168 71% /initrd/mnt/dev_save
/dev/loop1 516040 6560 509480 2% /initrd/pup_rw

# lsmod
fuse 47224 2
aufs 119510 92
nls_iso8859_1 2945 0
nls_cp437 4473 0
squashfs 16791 1
cryptoloop 1491 1
aes_generic 25914 1
cbc 1971 1
ns558 1567 0

So the mounting of heavy encrypted save files @boot is not that problem ,
but the new shutdown [combination] and its save to the personal storage file [ i am guessing for now it had mounted it on wrong fstype or read-only ] .

[personal taste : don't like yaf much , especially the timeout thingy is kinda flaky ] .

The desktop is fun to look at : gtk-stock-icon "error" or whatever its name is everywhere , no background picture .

The command
# gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders --update-cache

worked great to make mtpaint-3-34-63 show up ;
AND also the desktop icons get back to their image picture , after hoovering with the mouse pointer over them !

I had thought gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders would have been inside rc.update but it is
/usr/bin/gtk-update-icon-cache -f /usr/share/icons/hicolor/

The further remarks by me regarding all this would go to the shutdown thread in the Cutting Edge section .
[ note : i have not tested shutdown via prompt AND to light cryptx savefile ]
Attachments
Firstboot-of-aes-heavy-cryta-save-file.png
small view of desktop
BEFORE running
gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders --update-cache
which seems to have the new option --update-cache
which seems to be missing in Puppy 4 series
(22.7 KiB) Downloaded 1795 times

Karl Godt

Restored the files from backup

#89 Post by Karl Godt »

Now I have restored the files from backup ,

mtpaint-3.34.63 works OK saving LAYERS > Save composite image , while 3.34.64 and 3.34.69 froze @racy .
Attachments
desktop-restored.png
everything OK now :)
(25.38 KiB) Downloaded 1568 times

arcanis

#90 Post by arcanis »

Now using Slacko on multisession CD. No issues so far.

I still love 5.2.8 and hope that some more .pets appear for 5.3...really the only things I want are a wbar and the ability to disable the screen saver, which I really could learn to do from the command line if I just would cowboy up.

Should I post the 'disable screensaver' feature in the 'suggestions' subsection of the forum?

Jasper

#91 Post by Jasper »

Hi arcanis.

See http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=45825 to fix your screensaver problem (if I understand it correctly).

Type "wbar" without the quote marks in Slacko's Package Manager search box. Start from the "install" icon on the top row of your desktop and the Package Manager button will be near the bottom of the screen that appears.

My regards

Aitch

#92 Post by Aitch »

Hi Mick - update
Just tried slacko 5.3 scsi pae on my Viglen Genie server......quad 3.06ghz xeons, 3gb ram
Intel chipset, nvidia 128mb nv4
scsi 68gb 2.5" hdd

Flies nicely :D

No apparent problems

Aitch :)

smthers

#93 Post by smthers »

Great build, loving it so far.

Only problem I'm having is getting the Psync Time Server Synchronisation to adjust the time at startup. I can do this manually by right-clicking on the Firewall icon and selecting Psync, but it's pain having to do it every time I start the machine. I have tried setting Psync to Autostart but I'm guessing it might be trying to sync with internet time servers just as my wireless card is coming up and requesting an IP address. Anyone have any bright ideas?

tasmod

#94 Post by tasmod »

Can't remember whether I put net checking in this or firewallstate.

I'll check.

EDIT:

No it must have been firewallstate.

I'll look again at Psync to see what I can do.
Rob
-

rodin.s

Russian langpack

#95 Post by rodin.s »

I have updated Russian langpack for Slacko-5.3.

tasmod

#96 Post by tasmod »

smthers,

Can you test this for me I don't have a wireless connection. It's quick and dirty but should work.

Rename without the .tar.gz the forum won't accept .sh

Place the file in /root/Startup replacing the one that should be already there.
Attachments
timesync.sh.tar.gz
Rename by removing the .tar.gz
(378 Bytes) Downloaded 298 times
Rob
-

ETP

Slacko 5.3

#97 Post by ETP »

Aitch WROTE:
Hi Mick - update
Just tried slacko 5.3 scsi pae on my Viglen Genie server.....
Very unusual name for a butler! Are you sure that he is British?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

Bert

Re: Russian langpack

#98 Post by Bert »

rodin.s wrote:I have updated Russian langpack for Slacko-5.3.
HI rodin_s,

Just downloaded and unpacked your langpack to see what's in it :lol:

Congratulations! This looks like a very complete translation. Must have been uncountable man-hours, not only the translating itself, but also gettext, pot-file creation...

I think few people realize the amount of work you, L18L and shinobar have been doing. Thank you!
[url=http://pupsearch.weebly.com/][img]http://pupsearch.weebly.com/uploads/7/4/6/4/7464374/125791.gif[/img][/url]
[url=https://startpage.com/do/search?q=host%3Awww.murga-linux.com%2F][img]http://i.imgur.com/XJ9Tqc7.png[/img][/url]

arcanis

Thank you.

#99 Post by arcanis »

Jaspar, thanks for your help. I used both of your suggestions and they worked without flaw.

As does this forum and the Puppy Linux community. I've been playing with Linux in general and Puppy in particular since the 3 series, but only now did I register in the forum instead of lurking without. I'm glad I did.

Thanks to all of you, developers and seasoned users alike. My fedora is off to you. (And off for good, I might add.)

arcanis

Re: Thank you.

#100 Post by arcanis »

arcanis wrote:Jaspar, thanks...both of your suggestions...worked without flaw.

But I spoke hastily, before I had actually installed the 'wbar' package and broke my system. :lol:
The 'wbar' comes from the Salix repository, and completely borked JWM (at least that's what I thought happened). Since there was no menu item, I opened the terminal (rxvt) and typed 'wbar.'

It appeared like magic, and I smiled at my pretend elite status --for only a second, because the terminal emulator would not respond to the command, 'exit.' so I closed it from the border button, and wbar promptly disappeared. So, I dropped to the prompt and typed 'restartx wbar' which gave me a desktop with icons. But no panel at the bottom of the screen. And no menu with a right-click. Opening the console from the icon did not prove fruitful, because it was sort of wonky as well --no identifier at the top border, and the command for turning off the wbar eluded my best guesses, but no matter, 'exit,' restart, reboot, restartx, and even :shock: "enter acausal reality" were also unhelpful.

Additionally, the PPM will not uninstall "wbar." In fact, it does not not show that the Salix package has been installed.

Maybe I could create a Slacko specific wbar. Since I have no idea what I'm doing, the project should take up the next year of my life, but it would keep me busy and out of trouble --just think of all the stuff I would learn!