Puppy Linux Windows Installer - LICK v1.3.3 released

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Aitch

#121 Post by Aitch »

Thanks noryb009

peculiarly neither 530 nor 528, when using your exe installer, sees my
cd or dvd drives - running from live cd is showing only the cd?
both install ok, and play nicely together...
slacko still not remembering settings....

Aitch :)

noryb009

#122 Post by noryb009 »

peculiarly neither 530 nor 528, when using your exe installer, sees my cd or dvd drives
Try to run:

Code: Select all

mount /dev/sr0 /mnt/cdrom
and see if the CD is mounted in /mnt/cdrom.
Slacko still not remembering settings....
Are you sure you have your savefile in the same partition as windows' C drive? In windows, does C:\Puppy-Linux-530\slackosave.#fs exist?

ICPUG

#123 Post by ICPUG »

Aitch

Is the save file encrypted?

Barry reporting a bug with encrypted save files where the settings are not saved.

Aitch

#124 Post by Aitch »

ICPUG

No, just set up using ext3, no encrypt, same as 528, which remembers ok...
I note they use different folder arrangements in the root of 'C:', so maybe it's not finding the savefile.....? It does exist

Edit: :D :D
Old man's memory tricks - I have too many PCs around me, and remembered something that wasn't there....
I'm playing with several PCs, as my desktop blew its usb sockets, so I bought a possible replacement, onto which I installed 528, 530 PAE and added firefox and a few tweaks....but it was riddled with viruses and had SIS chips including video, ....so I started using my old faithful....twin Xeon scsi drive serverbox....and I had a different savefile for 530....528 didn't go because of the scsi drive, I think.....so, bottom line, problem doesn't exist in the PC.... :wink:
Oops...Except for the CD not showing up....sr0 not found
It finds my usb flashdrive and adds it as both sda1 [usb icon] and sr1 [cd icon] :?
Supermicro S5DA8 mobo, with a Samsung SC152G CD - seems like only the memory controller is loading....no ide support..?
Intel E7505 chipset...
Going back into XP for more detail...and try firmware update

Aitch

#125 Post by Aitch »

Update:

Things did not go well! I was trying to apply a firmware update....and the damn box froze....had to power off to get out of it, in windoze....gggrrr

On re-firing it up, no CD!

After many attempts to get it to work/apply the firmware I ended up concluding that may have been the problem all along....I found a suitable replacement, and installed it, and lo, after chkdsk did its thing, I have a working CD, and windoze
[wonders never cease :lol: :lol: ]

However, when I boot back into puppy 530 pae.... no CD, AND NO SAVEFILE

Double gggrrr! : :lol: ...Conclude I was tired yesterday and got it wrong...

Peculiarly using live CD finds the CD and the savefile, yet when using the .exe version, the CD shows up in the hardinfo hardware list under storage, [but on scsi1 controller?], but no drive icon on the desktop, nor mount....I wonder if, because the files are on a slow start SCSI drive, the save file isn't loaded when puppy looks for it....I get the feeling it's timing related...can't explain, though....any ideas please?
[btw both CDs tried are atapi/IDE devices, not SCSI]

Edit: more clues...
CD is found by mut, but not pmount, will mount in mut if CD in tray, but no persistent icon after CD removed....weird

steve_s

#126 Post by steve_s »

How cool.

Just for fun I used this installer and Pupflux 5.1.1 on there. I uploaded it to here if anyone wants it.

I just want to say kudos to noryb009, great stuff! I've downloaded, ran the settup on Puppy 5.2.8 with wine, have tested it on Win7, works great! 8)

01micko

#127 Post by 01micko »

noryb009

Thanks for making Slacko 5.3 windows installer. :)

Apart from making it super easy for linux noobs I had my own reasons for trying it.

I have an old Asus lappy (belongs to my daughter actually) that I could not boot any old how. There is something wrong with it as far as booting from the dvd drive and I was not going to fork out for an external floppy. USB boot is a no go in the BIOS. Probably flashing the bios would fix that. I tried PXE .. got a fair way but crumbled, works on my other machines, so the windows installer was the last resort.

Worked a treat. :) . I'm going to mirror the Slacko versions and get Lobster to promo them on the wiki (if he hasn't already).

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#128 Post by Lobster »

has :D
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

noryb009

#129 Post by noryb009 »

Thanks, 01micko and Lobster!

01micko

#130 Post by 01micko »

Hi Aitch,

Admittedly, I haven't tested the PAE 5.3 version yet. I have it downloaded and will test in Win 7 when I get some time on my son's machine. The standard version has no problems with cd and dvd for me.

Curious though that it works for you from a cd install. :? After all, the way I see it, is that with the windows installer it's just a simple frugal install to NTFS (or FAT) using the windows bootloader instead of grub in the MBR.

1) What happens if you make a savefile from the CD to NTFS? (In the normal puppy way)

2) Does booting from a CD pick up the Slacko save file you created with windws installer? (I believe it should.. and it should use the .sfs instead of loading the one off the CD)
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Aitch

#131 Post by Aitch »

Mick

A reminder, this box has a scsi hard drive, and the adaptec 29160 boot to find the drive takes quite a while [but what prompted me to try 530scsi-pae ]

I'm not sure as to which files running live CD uses, as I have copied the .SFS to my C:\ drive, and made a savefile to the same location....but because I was having the problem with saves not loading, I also copied to the slacko 530pae folder created by the exe installer

I've discovered that when booting the exe version, if I wait for the boot timeout to expire, it picks up 'a' savefile, though I haven't yet determined which one - if I try to speed it up, by hitting enter at the 5 second boot screen, I get no save loaded
....booting the liveCD I get offered the choice of save files, one in the folder, one in c:\ or none at all, regardless of whether I speed up the boot process, so it seems the script for choosing savefiles isn't running in the exe boot....??
....the choice isn't given in the exe version

I'm still not getting a CD icon in the exe version, though the CD is visible in hardinfo/storage, but as a scsi device though it's an atapi/ide

Are there any tests I can do to help analyse this?
I'm not too clever at cli...

Xavius

#132 Post by Xavius »

Hi to all

I'm a new user of Puppy (but I used Linux for years)

My Puppy on Windows doesn't boot

I think the problem is my disk is SATA and Puppy tries to boot from hd0 (usually IDE).....

how can I solve this?

noryb009

#133 Post by noryb009 »

Xavius:
What version are you using?
How far in the boot sequence do you get?
Have you tried a puppy CD before?

Xavius

#134 Post by Xavius »

Actually, on this system even the cd doesn't work.......

Anyway it goes a bit farther.

The Windows Installer version, after the rebooting, just stop almost immediately after the Grub choice, with error on

hd0,0

The cd version loads the kernel, apparently loads the drivers to read disks, after that stops because it doesn't find the puppy .sfs file

(if I mount and try the ISO with a Virtualization software, eg.: VMWare, it works)

noryb009

#135 Post by noryb009 »

Xavius: In windows, can you:
- run

chkdsk /f
in command prompt
- reboot
- defragment your hard drive

That might fix it.

emil

Used Windows Installer for combined VirtualBox/Linux install

#136 Post by emil »

Noryb009, I used your code to make a combined Virtualbox / Puppy installer.
Thank you very much for this project - my coding is very clumsy, I hope this is OK!

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73921

It works similar than this Installer Creator - instead of the puppy files you have to copy in an exported VM "ova" file!

Cheers
emil

shinobar

Puppy_Linux_528.exe

#137 Post by shinobar »

OK, i made a mirror of Puppy_Linux_528.exe:
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

Aitch

#138 Post by Aitch »

RSH

#139 Post by RSH »

Hello,

i have actually (just in these minutes) created a puppy linux setup.exe. Got some problems. Must remove all empty spaces and must define some path's like this:

!define PUPPY_SFS "\mnt\sdc2\PuppyLinuxInstallerCreator\lazy_528.sfs"
Now going offline to install the puppy in xp. :)

RSH
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

noryb009

#140 Post by noryb009 »

RSH: You can just use:

!define PUPPY_SFS "lazy_528.sfs"
It allows you to have spaces in the path.