Racy Puppy 5.2.2 Final, 18 Nov. 2011

Please post any bugs you have found
BarryK
Puppy Master

#261 Post by BarryK »

Fix for quicksetup.

Just about everyone is reporting massive slow-down in the drop-down lists in Quick Setup.

This was because I changed from using the <comboboxtext> tag to <combobox>. The change was done to fix a "double-popup" problem.

However, I have gone back to <comboboxtext> and fixed the double-popup problem. I have posted to the gtkdialog development thread reporting the problems, and latest fixed script is posted there:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 884#581884
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

James C

#262 Post by James C »

BarryK wrote:Fix for quicksetup.

Just about everyone is reporting massive slow-down in the drop-down lists in Quick Setup.

This was because I changed from using the <comboboxtext> tag to <combobox>. The change was done to fix a "double-popup" problem.

However, I have gone back to <comboboxtext> and fixed the double-popup problem. I have posted to the gtkdialog development thread reporting the problems, and latest fixed script is posted there:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 884#581884
Appears to have solved the problem in regular Wary 5.2.1.90.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#263 Post by BarryK »

Karl Godt wrote:2.
racy-5.2.1.90
/usr/sbin/pgprs-shell is NOT updated to handle NEW /lib/modules/all-firmware/ files ...
suggestion:

Code: Select all

--- /initrd/pup_ro2/usr/sbin/pgprs-shell   2010-12-04 10:30:35.000000000 +0000
+++ /usr/sbin/pgprs-shell   2011-11-10 01:59:22.536586399 +0000
@@ -12,12 +12,24 @@
 #script. If it isn't there, you get this message."

#install firmware tarball...
+old_func(){
+if [ -f /lib/modules/all-firmware/pgprs.tar.gz ] ; then
 cp -f /lib/modules/all-firmware/pgprs.tar.gz /tmp/
 cd /tmp
 tar -zxf pgprs.tar.gz
 cp -a --remove-destination /tmp/pgprs/* /
 sync
 cd /
+fi
+}
+old_func
+##KRG new_func for all-firmware not tar.gz anymore [racy-5.2.1.90 [ 2011-Nov ]]
+new_func(){
+if [ -d /lib/modules/all-firmware/pgprs ] ; then
+cp -a --remove-destination /lib/modules/all-firmware/pgprs/* /
+fi
+}
+new_func

#101204...
 yaf-splash -bg violet -placement center -timeout 3 -text "Updating menu, screen will flicker..."
Thanks, fixed.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#264 Post by BarryK »

Karl Godt wrote:What i think i could add from /tmp/xerrs.log :

JWM: warning: /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme[10]: invalid tag in Active: Corner
JWM: warning: /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme[16]: invalid tag in Inactive: Corner

Hadn't they been commented like

Code: Select all

--- /initrd/pup_ro2/root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme	2011-11-10 16:58:57.000000000 +0800
+++ /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme	2011-11-11 02:41:14.836533429 +0800
@@ -7,13 +7,13 @@
     <Active>
        <Text>white</Text>
        <Title>#393F96:#30528D</Title>
-       <Corner>#4A5966</Corner>
+       <!-- <Corner>#4A5966</Corner> -->
        <Outline>black</Outline>
     </Active>
     <Inactive>
        <Text>white</Text>
        <Title>#84CFF1:#393F96</Title>
-       <Corner>#DCDAD5</Corner>
+       <!-- <Corner>#DCDAD5</Corner> -->
        <Outline>gray30</Outline>
     </Inactive>
 </WindowStyle> 
Thanks, fixed. I removed <corner> tags totally.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: SAVE SESSION TO ENCRYPTED SAVE_FILE WORKS AGAIN

#265 Post by BarryK »

Karl Godt wrote:ONE MINOR THINGY about /usr/sbin/filemnt
which is not only cosmetic :

due to the code checks if FILE is mounted due to a simple
if [ ! -d "$MntPt" ] ;then

::MANY TIMES (99%+) the rmdir $MntPt at the end of umount $MntPt does not succeed ,
i guess due to little time for the system to update everything .
Ok, I have implemented a change that should fix it.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#266 Post by BarryK »

DaveS wrote:Same old Same old. Broadcom wifi of course. Racy just cant do it........ /lib/firmware/B43 missing
Added it.. fixed
There is a mystery here.

It has been suggested that if the firmware is already in /lib/firmware, then b43 works.

Ok, I have moved the b43 firmware to /lib/firmware/b43. I modified kernel-skeleton/pinstall.sh to achieve this.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#267 Post by BarryK »

linuxcbon wrote:- pop up asking to download flashplayer is annoying
For most users, it is a one-off event. It is only testers who are going to find it "annoying". Or for those users who boot Puppy always without any save-file -- very rare breed of user.

The Flashplayer popup has been criticised as coming up too soon. I have delayed it a bit, another 6 seconds after delayedrun detects an Internet connection.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#268 Post by BarryK »

Flash wrote:Downloaded the Racy iso and used Burniso2cd to burn it to a mini DVD-R. Booted the mini DVD which correctly autoconfigured the audio and video (except the volume was a bit low, but I was able to correct that by turning up everything I could find in Retrovol.) Before I could run the connect wizard, a window popped up asking if I wanted to install the Flash player. Of course, I couldn't say yes because there was no connection yet to the internet.
That is wrong. The Flashplayer popup only happens after an Internet connection is detected. /usr/sbin/delayedrun does a "ping 8.8.8.8" followed by a "ping www.google.com" and if success only then does it bring up the popup.

So, you must have had an Internet connection before you ran the Connect Wizard, which is possible, via ethernet.

pemasu

#269 Post by pemasu »

Barry. I did above b43 firmware trick manually in that test dpup with 3.1 kernel. I unpacked the tar.gz to the /lib/firmware at woof building time. And I used the b43 firmware package from oneiric you posted about. I will report if it do the trick. There is already one b43 failure reported though.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#270 Post by BarryK »

Flash wrote:Later, after I had already opened SeaMonkey and then closed it, I used the Puppy Package Manager to install Flash and Flashblock, but SeaMonkey would not start from the desktop icon after I installed them. I eventually found two versions of SeaMonkey in /usr/lib. I clicked the latest version and SeaMonkey started, but with only Flash; Flashblock isn't in it.
You probably installed SM addons for SM 1.1.x or 2.0.x. They won't work with latest SM.

Latest SM has a addons manager, you use that to download new addons.

pemasu

#271 Post by pemasu »

fp.dowload.macromedia has been unable to download flashplayer 10 or 11 for me today. I noticed the problem during my testing. I have changed to use 8.8.8.8 for ping test so that was not the problem. And fp.download.macromedia ip address responded to the ping (numerical version). I did the test in that dpup. I used your delayedrun from 27.10 woof. I had only changed to use 11 flash. But I got the same failure with 10 flash script content.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#272 Post by BarryK »

gcmartin wrote:@Barry I like the collection. and I like the applications functionality. Further, the systems are using RAM as you intend them to.

BUT ...
FirstRun is posing a hardship on Live media users who are trying to test RACY for your preparation to General Release. Each time we restart thru the FirstRun dialogue, it is a hardship. Each time we test on a different machine to look for issues for you, it is a hardship. Our time is valuable too with family and work and ...

This is an important hardship.

Could you consider retracting it, while you replace/resolve it to avoid others getting an unpleasant taste.?

Might be the best step for the community at this time.
Huh? Why are you complaining? Quick Setup had one bug, due to a change of <comboboxtext> to <combobox> tag. Now fixed.
You are writing as though it is riddled with bugs. As far as I know, there was only that one bug -- which I did not become aware of on my fast laptop, only testers on older hardware noticed it. That is now fixed, so Quick Setup is working nicely.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#273 Post by BarryK »

jim3630 wrote:
Before I could run the connect wizard, a window popped up asking if I wanted to install the Flash player.
same here.
Again, same answer. the Flashplayer popup cannot occur unless you have an Internet connection.

jim3630

#274 Post by jim3630 »

BarryK wrote:
jim3630 wrote:
Before I could run the connect wizard, a window popped up asking if I wanted to install the Flash player.
same here.
Again, same answer. the Flashplayer popup cannot occur unless you have an Internet connection.
Barry,

not having an answer I started over again pfix=ram and noticied where Flash player pop up occured the first time was actually at the firewall dialog pop up. you are correct the connection was established. I had to answer the Flash pop up before could finish the firewall dialog.

however, this time the Flash pop up delayed until finished with the firewall dialog. odd, as have no added pets etc., to intervene.

Sage

#275 Post by Sage »

The Flashplayer popup has been criticised as coming up too soon.
No need for it to pop-up at all, connection or no connection, until the browser is clicked. It is a valid statement that the present arrangement is 'annoying' from the user viewpoint, although I would advocate 'unnecessary distraction'. Testers (testees?!) aren't necessarily going to jump onto the Interweb immediately - they may want to fix their sound or wi-fi first! .sfs are largely irrelevant for testers unless they are also IT folk - users are often end users rather than coders - that's what everyone is working towards. Delaying Flashplayer pop-up until a browser is selected from a drop-down menu has already been implemented and is immensely helpful.

peebee

#276 Post by peebee »

BarryK wrote:
DaveS wrote:Same old Same old. Broadcom wifi of course. Racy just cant do it........ /lib/firmware/B43 missing
Added it.. fixed
There is a mystery here.

It has been suggested that if the firmware is already in /lib/firmware, then b43 works.

Ok, I have moved the b43 firmware to /lib/firmware/b43. I modified kernel-skeleton/pinstall.sh to achieve this.
Hi Barry

Just tried pemasu's squeeze 5.x.10 where he has tried this.

Didn't work for me - I had to add modprobe b43 to rc.local to get it to work - looking like some sort of udev problem???

Thanks
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

pemasu

#277 Post by pemasu »

There is now 3 reports of failure with preinstalled /lib/firmware/b43.
Looks like 3.x kernel has changed something with recognition of b43.ko - firmware regarding to autodetection and autoload.

EDIT. According to Peebee. Oneirics newer b43 firmware package was incompatible with his b43. Older Puppy b43.tar.gz (from woof) worked ok after rc.local modprobe b43 fix.

Karl Godt

#278 Post by Karl Godt »

Didn't work for me - I had to add modprobe b43 to rc.local to get it to work - looking like some sort of udev problem???
HORRIBLE !!
[me thinkinking some new /sbin/pup_event_backend* FIXxxxx]

WHY not rename

/sbin/pup_event*

TO

/sbin/pmodload ?????!!!!!

Jim1911

#279 Post by Jim1911 »

Jim1911 wrote:Frugal installation on an ext4 partition. It's working great and the problems with the Bootmanager and Shutdown that I reported on page 7 have been corrected.

Cheers,
Jim
Retested and discovered that Bootmanager problem still exists. It will not work if there are more than 28 sfs files contained in /mnt/home.

Karl Godt

#280 Post by Karl Godt »

EDIT. According to Peebee. Oneirics newer b43 firmware package was incompatible with his b43. Older Puppy b43.tar.gz (from woof) worked ok after rc.local modprobe b43 fix.
2. the module could be added also via the bootmanager or put maually into /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG .

2.1 the creator of Xdialog did not do everything to make Xdialog GTK-2.0 compatible , ie the function to separate one list and a second list does not work in GTK-2.0 because : lthe second list gets appended to the first list ...

--buildlist \"On the left pane is the complete list of modules available to be\nused by Puppy (and not currently loaded).\nOn the right pane are modules that you have explicitly chosen to\nbe loaded at bootup (not auto-loaded by default).\nIf you want to force a module to load, move it to the right pane,\nclick OK button, then reboot Puppy.\nNote, if you want to find out further information about any module,\nrun PupScan (look in the System menu)\" 0 0 8 $MODLIST >/tmp/yesrettags.txt

AND with Xdialog it is the same with gtkdialogN <combobox> on GTK-2.24.5 .... scrolling a large list takes hours ....

Puppy's Xdialog actually is patched by Dougal using the GTK-1.2 functions .

I had tried around 15 compiles of the unpatched Xdialog src to fix this , but did not succeed ...

SO it is ok to use /etc/rc.d/rc.local .

1. the /sbin/pup_event_backend_modprobe firmware_module_func
comments the module line in /etc/modules/firmware.dep file , so the firmware gets only loaded once automatically .

IF someone copies some firmware directory with the same name and reboots , without uncommenting the module line ie :
b43:b43.ko
b43legacy:b43legacy.ko

IF the module line would look like this ie
#b43:b43.ko
#b43legacy:b43legacy.ko

the automatically loading of [parts] of the driver.ko and the modules it would additionally insert , may not work as expected .