Firefox official releases

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
roadkill13

#21 Post by roadkill13 »

I am currently running Lucid 5.28 update 002 on an Acer Aspire One D255. I experienced the following issues when I permitted Firefox to upgrade to 8.0.

Firefox restarted with the upgrade and loaded the default home page.

Firefox crashed while attempting to load the index page for this forum.

I was unable to resolve the issue at that time.

After reading this thread I created a fresh save file. I installed Firefox 7 from the repo and then permitted it to upgrade to 8.0 with the following results.

Firefox 8.0 worked out of the box. I did launch it from console and received a bug message:
WARNING: Application calling GLX 1.3 function "glXCreatePixmap" when GLX 1.3 is not supported! This is an application bug!
At this point in the test Firefox 8.0 is working quite well.

It should be noted that /usr/lib/mozilla/ folder has no flashplayer plugin of any kind. Libflashplayer.so is absent from the plugins folder and there are no extra folders.

I installed flashplayer 11 from a .pet file. It placed libflashplayer.so in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. It did not seed any duplicate files.

I started Firefox 8.0 and it crashed trying to load the forum index page. I received a message when launching Firefox from console identical to the one posted by Geoffrey above regarding wrong version of libnss.so.3.

I followed his instructions and copied libnss.so.3 from /usr/lib/firefox to /usr/lib. This corrected the issue.

I am posting from Firefox 8.0 now.

I have noted that flash does seem a bit slow but there is evidence that my network has slowed down a bit over the last few days.

2byte

#22 Post by 2byte »

Geoffrey,

re: libnss3.so

Thank you very much. That fixed it here too. Lucid 5.11

Laie

#23 Post by Laie »

yup, it works!
thx

Geoffrey

#24 Post by Geoffrey »

nooby wrote:Does this repair that FF8 is slow and fail to go well with Flash player?
nooby,

I don't know about flash but it fix's the hang it had loading pages, I did the same with my laptop thats running Fluppy 13
though it has the error message

Code: Select all

WARNING: Application calling GLX 1.3 function "glXCreatePixmap" when GLX 1.3 is not supported! This is an application bug!
but it at lest runs firefox8 with some speed now, I'm just waiting for the next update now that will fix any other problems,
I found the fix on the firefox help, someone else posted a solution, so they are at lest aware of it now.

Burunduk

#25 Post by Burunduk »

Lupu525 also needs the libnss3.so trick. Thanks for pointing this out. As long as it is only a matter of a library search order, another solution is to place a simple wrapper instead of the /usr/bin/firefox symlink:

#!/bin/sh

ff_dir="/usr/lib/firefox"

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="${ff_dir}:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
exec "${ff_dir}"/firefox "$@"
Or we can use run-mozilla.sh but it gives an error when started without parameters.

bones01

#26 Post by bones01 »

I was ready to give up on good old Firefox. It just hangs, and that's no good.

Thanks for the suggestions Geoffrey. I'll get to it later on and see if that works for me, but going on what you said, it sounds like I had the same problem.

Today, it's the Opera for me.

Bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

Geoffrey

#27 Post by Geoffrey »

Geoffrey wrote:
nooby wrote:Does this repair that FF8 is slow and fail to go well with Flash player?
nooby,

I don't know about flash but it fix's the hang it had loading pages, I did the same with my laptop thats running Fluppy 13
though it has the error message

but it at lest runs firefox8 with some speed now, I'm just waiting for the next update now that will fix any other problems,
I found the fix on the firefox help, someone else posted a solution, so they are at lest aware of it now.
Wouldn't you know it, the wife asked me why can't I watch youtubes on the laptop.

Mmmm, that the one with the

I put 7.01 back on it until I can find a fix for flash, unless someone knows of one already.

Geoffrey

Semme

#28 Post by Semme »

Since some of you are so intent on running the latest, the greatest.. move up to nine.

Geoffrey

#29 Post by Geoffrey »

Semme wrote:Since some of you are so intent on running the latest, the greatest.. move up to nine.
It's not that we are intent, it's the fact that it want's to upgrade, so we do.

By all rights it should be better software, but even the experts get it wrong sometimes.

Semme

#30 Post by Semme »

You <wink> know what I was getting at...

pemasu

#31 Post by pemasu »

Try to install xorg_high or equivalent libgl1-mesa-dri. It might help.

Tman

Re: Firefox 7.0.1 official and 8.0 beta

#32 Post by Tman »

don922 wrote: I am having trouble finding the Bookmarks file. What is it called and where should it be located? The bookmark file in the .mozilla directory in the Home directory appears to be a plain new unused file with no bookmarks.

The bookmarkbackups directory seems to be current and contain good data. Can this bookmarkbackups file be used to replace the bookmarks file when I install the Firefox-7.0.1.pet, after running the prepare-firefox.pet? If it can be used -- How do you use the backup?
Yes, your bookmark files are installed in the /root/.mozilla folder. Firefox updates your bookmarks to that folder by default and saves them according to the date.

To restore them within Firefox:
Bookmarks -> Show all Bookmarks -> Import and Backup -> Restore

It should have bookmarks there from your previous sessions.
You can back up your bookmarks to that default folder or to another location of your choosing. The Backup/Restore option uses files with the .json extension.

You can also save your bookmarks by Exporting to a .html file.
The Import option uses .html files and appends your saved bookmarks to whatever bookmarks you already have.

Just do some experimenting and you'll figure it out.

Peterm321

#33 Post by Peterm321 »

pemasu

Quote:

It is possible, I don't know for sure of course as I haven't had the bug, that this could be related to webgl.

I have the about:config preference

webgl.disabled
set to true and am able to view flash without problems.

Geoffrey

#34 Post by Geoffrey »

Peterm321 wrote:

pemasu

Quote:

It is possible, I don't know for sure of course as I haven't had the bug, that this could be related to webgl.

I have the about:config preference

webgl.disabled
set to true and am able to view flash without problems.
It didn't help, still the same problem, no flash, I tried a nightly build, it appears that all these problems we are having
has continued into these other releases also, I have never had a problem with Firefox in the past, with any of my PC's.

Oh well, back to the drawing board :lol:

HiDeHo

#35 Post by HiDeHo »

Maybe i have missed something already in the post but what are the firefox libs.pet and prepare-firefox.pet for. and what do they do.

Tman

#36 Post by Tman »

In wary , when you type 'firefox' from the terminal, Firefox will run, but the terminal complains about missing libs. It does not complain about them in the lastest Lucid Pup. So I took those libs from Lucd-Pup and made firefox-8-libs.
I believe they should be compatible with Wary since both are Ubuntu-based...that is my opinion however, and I am not an expert on this.

Edit: sorry, my mistake; from what I've read, Wary is T2-based. ( With a mix of debian and Ubuntu packages? )

The pet was meant to be installed in Wary, as I have made the Wary-based SolidPup which I sometimes use. It is harmless if you've installed it in the latest Lucid Pup, since the files originate from it; but it is also unecessary for Lucid Puppy. However, Firefox does seem to run okay for me in Wary without the firefox-8-libs.pet, but it may be less optimized due to the missing libs.

As for prepreff, I made it to remove traces which may have been left behind from uninstalling older firefox pets, or even when unloading a firefox.sfs. I install the main firefox files in the /usr/lib folder, but I have seen other pets install them to the /usr/share folder.
Also, Firefox always creates it's own folder for your saved settings int the /root/.mozilla/firefox folder. This folder can get quite large.
My new firefox pets ( starting with version 8 ) gives the user the option to remove this folder when you uninstall it from the package manager, but my older pets did not.

If the /root/.mozilla/firefox folder is not removed before installation of a new firefox pet, Firefox may run, but it may not be 100% as the petmaker intended. I add my own browser preferences to my firefox pets.

So I made prepare-firefox.pet. You just type 'prepareff' in the terminal before installing your pet, and firefox will install cleanly, and with the preferences I intended for it to have. Hope this makes everything clear.

Update - Feb-09-2011.

prepareff.pet is has it's functions integrated into my latest Firefox builds. Firefox-8-libs.pet is not really required for Firefox to run in Wary and I am not sure if those libs originally taken from Lucid will break something in Wary or not. Both have been removed.
Last edited by Tman on Thu 09 Feb 2012, 07:00, edited 2 times in total.

RetroTechGuy

#37 Post by RetroTechGuy »

Geoffrey wrote:
RetroTechGuy wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:I'm having a problem with FF8, hangs for ages , it was 7.01 that upgraded itself, put on another copy of 7.01 and it runs fine, I'm running lucid 5.2.8.

anyone else having this happen, is there a solution?
Yes, I had the same problem ("upgrade"). You found the solution... ;-)
I found how to fix it, replace libnss3.so that's in /usr/lib with the one that comes with FF8 in /usr/lib/firefox

then no errors, it was doing this this in the terminal
Worked perfectly (so far)...
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

Peterm321

#38 Post by Peterm321 »

Geoffrey Sun 13 Nov 2011, 21:09

It [about:config webgl.disabled=true] didn't help, still the same problem, no flash, I tried a nightly build, it appears that all these problems we are having
has continued into these other releases also, I have never had a problem with Firefox in the past, with any of my PC's.

Oh well, back to the drawing board
My reply was really about the GLX error and my point was that hardware acceleration appears not to be required by the flash plugin.

As a general point, in the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ directory there is the file libflashplayer.so, mine is 11MB in size. Firefox appears to find and load it automatically. I have updated Firefox quite a few times including nightly builds and so far this plugin seems unaffected. Unfortunately flash can be affected by many factors including network issues e.g firewall settings or similar and might be worth a look if no other solution arises.

Geoffrey

#39 Post by Geoffrey »

Peterm321 wrote:
Geoffrey Sun 13 Nov 2011, 21:09

It [about:config webgl.disabled=true] didn't help, still the same problem, no flash, I tried a nightly build, it appears that all these problems we are having

Oh well, back to the drawing board
My reply was really about the GLX error and my point was that hardware acceleration appears not to be required by the flash plugin.

As a general point, in the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ directory there is the file libflashplayer.so, mine is 11MB in size. Firefox appears to find and load it automatically. I have updated Firefox quite a few times including nightly builds and so far this plugin seems unaffected. Unfortunately flash can be affected by many factors including network issues e.g firewall settings or similar and might be worth a look if no other solution arises.
Hi Peterm321,

The GLX error doesn't seem to cause a problem It is only with FF 8 and nightly builds that flash doesn't work,
nothing else has changed in the system, it doesn't say that flash needs to be installed,
but the flash player window is just black and right clicking on it doesn't bring up any adobe flash settings,
it goes through all the motions but just don't quite get there.

I tried installing FF8 from the first post, on my main PC as a new frugal install to see if it works,
seems to have a problem with settings with an error message at startup, but it don't get the libnss3.so error
and loads pages ok, I'll sort this out and may try it on the laptop, but fear of the wife not being happy with me if I break it again stops me for the time being. :wink:

Geoffrey

Peterm321

#40 Post by Peterm321 »

I tried installing FF8 from the first post, on my main PC as a new frugal install to see if it works,
seems to have a problem with settings with an error message at startup, but it don't get the libnss3.so error
and loads pages ok, I'll sort this out and may try it on the laptop, but fear of the wife not being happy with me if I break it again stops me for the time being. Wink

Geoffrey
Hi Geoffrey

I'm not sure if I can be of much more help. I have used various Firefox versions from 4.0 up to 10.0 (Alpha Nightly) and all have had no issues with flash, though I dont block any ports with a firewall etc. As far as I am aware, flash should not be affected especially if you run flash as a separate process which I believe is the default setup. So flash should remain more or less the same plugin even if Firefox is updated according to my understanding.

you may want to check the

about:plugins
page and some of the ipc settings in "about:config"

Some values:

dom.ipc.plugins.enabled=true
dom.ipc.processCount=1
dom.ipc.plugins.timeoutSecs=20
dom.ipc.plugins.processLaunchTimeoutSecs=20