TrayManager For JWM Desktop

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
jpeps

Re: Task bar icon

#21 Post by jpeps »

xia1498 wrote:My backup tray is empty and there are no icons on the taskbar. I have tried many times to load an icon. The icon will appear on the taskbar, for example-- mini-icons/mini-desktop.xpm, but does nothing when clicked on.
Will the exec run from the terminal? Did you click on "add to tray" ? It should be writing to /root/.jwmrc-tray

xia1498

tray icons

#22 Post by xia1498 »

I do click on add to tray and it does add it but does nothing when clicked on.

# jwm -p
JWM: warning: no icon or label for TrayButton
# /root/ .jwmrc-tray
bash: /root/.jwmrc-tray: Permission denied

Do you know the exact exec command to type in terminal for (usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons/mini-desktop.xpm)?
I do appreciate you trying to help?
Sorry if I am not understanding something that should be simple.

jpeps

#23 Post by jpeps »

I'm not clear what you're trying to do.

Open a terminal and type "traymanager"

Traymanager should load.
Now type in the popup and exec name, and load an icon using the file selector.
Now click "add to tray"
In the next window, click OK and then Done. Check your terminal window and let me know what it says.

You can type "geany /root/.jwmrc-tray" in the terminal to manually edit or look at what's written.

What distro version are you running? Traymanager uses gtkdialog4 (now standard in Slacko, Lucid, etc).

You're using jwm window manager, right?
Last edited by jpeps on Mon 14 Nov 2011, 02:09, edited 1 time in total.

jpeps

#24 Post by jpeps »

Uploaded version 4.1. Uses gtkdialog4 (doesn't need a link from gtkdialog3)

xia1498

#25 Post by xia1498 »

version 5.0
tray manager in terminal did nothing although the icon popped up in the tray but still does nothing. I think i am putting the wrong name in exec maybe.
Last edited by xia1498 on Mon 14 Nov 2011, 02:17, edited 1 time in total.

jpeps

#26 Post by jpeps »

xia1498 wrote:tray manager in terminal did nothing although the icon popped up in the tray but still does nothing. I think i am putting the wrong name in exec maybe.
type "traymanager" --one word

If your are getting the correct icon on the tray, you know it is correctly writing to .jwmrc-tray. Check the correct program name by typing "which NAME" into a terminal, with NAME being the program name. You should get the path. Also, clicking on the View Tray button will show you the <TrayButton> entry with the icon that showed up.

xia1498

Tray

#27 Post by xia1498 »

<TrayButton popup="showdesktop" icon="/usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons/mini-desktop.xpm">exec:</TrayButton>

This shows up in view tray.

jpeps

Re: Tray

#28 Post by jpeps »

xia1498 wrote:<TrayButton popup="showdesktop" icon="/usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons/mini-desktop.xpm">exec:</TrayButton>

This shows up in view tray.
should be exec:NAME What's the name? There should already be an icon for Show Desktop in the .jwmrc-tray. "showdesktop" doesn't work directly from the terminal, so won't work as a local traybutton.

Code: Select all

<TrayButton popup="Show Desktop"icon="minidesktop.xpm">showdesktop</TrayButton>

xia1498

#29 Post by xia1498 »

Ok, after reading your last statement again i see this is not going to work.

Thanks for your help.

jpeps

#30 Post by jpeps »

xia1498 wrote:Ok, after reading your last statement again i see this is not going to work.

Thanks for your help.
Actually, it does work...I just tried it. You'll have to edit it manually, however, by removing "exec:" and replacing with "showdesktop". It works from the tray with the icon and popup of your choosing. Don't forget to restart JWM after editing.

DaveS

#31 Post by DaveS »

Couple of small things: it seems impossible to add a button WITHOUT a popup (my preferred, but then I am odd), if I add a button with a pop-up it adds the entry repeatedly for every button for which I dont have a specified pop-up, and finally, package manager cannot uninstall it. This last is caused by the current requirements of woof where .pets have to have a hyphen and release number, like this: traymanager-4.2.pet (thanks to 01micko for this tip)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

jpeps

#32 Post by jpeps »

DaveS wrote:Couple of small things: it seems impossible to add a button WITHOUT a popup (my preferred, but then I am odd), if I add a button with a pop-up it adds the entry repeatedly for every button for which I dont have a specified pop-up, and finally, package manager cannot uninstall it. This last is caused by the current requirements of woof where .pets have to have a hyphen and release number, like this: traymanager-4.2.pet (thanks to 01micko for this tip)
Hi Dave,

Yeah, it's made to write a complete entry that includes an icon, popup, and exec. The popup is also used as the entry to remove it. It's easy enough to simply edit the /root/.jwmrc-tray file itself for anything unusual.

I didn't know about a required listing format for the package manager to work. I mostly gave up on it a long time ago, and use my own uninstaller..which also gets rid of open directories, lets me know about in use files, etc, etc. I just experimented after renaming to TrayManager-4.1.pet. The package manager said it uninstalled, but the files were still there :) The name was gone though....

I don't know why the package manager can't just read whats there.

Edit. Okay..got it working with the PM. I'll upload Thanks!

xia1498

#33 Post by xia1498 »

Yes! It worked.

Thanks a lot for persevering.[/b]

jpeps

#34 Post by jpeps »

xia1498 wrote:Yes! It worked.

Thanks a lot for persevering.[/b]
Great! Uploaded version 4.5, which includes an edit function for manual editing. I also noticed that after closing the DONE window, traymanager needed to be reloaded before it would install another icon. Now it simply restarts JWM directly without going to another window...and is ready to install another icon.

jpeps

#35 Post by jpeps »

Version 5.0: Allows choice of placement for icon on tray. Especially useful when several trays are present.

jpeps

#36 Post by jpeps »

Version 5.2 Allows for on-the-fly icon tray switching, between center-top hidden and bottom visible.

note: to split between trays, add new icon to one after Menu (it will remain on the bottom tray).