pup001, pup_save.3fs, or multisession?

Booting, installing, newbie
Loren

pup001, pup_save.3fs, or multisession?

#1 Post by Loren »

Hi... I'm basically a Linux newbie, and I'm really interested in trying out Puppy because of its capability of running as a Live CD while still saving settings, but I'm having a little trouble figuring out how to get started. Most of the documentation on the website says that to be able to save settings on a HD with a single Windows NTFS partition, that you should download the pup001 file and place it in C:\ before booting Puppy, but it appears that this only works in Puppy 1.x? Is there any way to do this in Puppy 2? If not, I'd like to try multisession (though this is not optimal for me because all I have available right now is CD-R), but I can't seem to find a multisession version ISO in any of the download areas. Any help on these issues would be appreciated.

SnowDog

#2 Post by SnowDog »

If you find my posts helpful and you want to say thanks, please consider clicking the www button under my posts to visit my website.

Loren

#3 Post by Loren »

Hmm, that site seems to be broken -- I get an FTP connection error where the download links should be -- and it appears it hasn't been updated since Puppy 1.

Thanks, though, I appreciate your taking the time to read :)

PaulBx1

#4 Post by PaulBx1 »

Loren, the problem is that most docs refer to Puppy 1. The internals were reworked for Puppy 2 so file names were changed, etc. This site gives a good overview of the differences between the two.

My Windows is 98 so I don't have the NTFS problem, but I believe you have to create the file under Windows because no linux can reliably create files in NTFS, although they can access existing files.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

I don't know where to find the special file for NTFS. It's somewhere. I think it has been renamed for Puppy 2 but I'm not really sure.

As for multisession, it uses the same Puppy2 ISO, but is burned different. Here and here are a tutorials that should get you up and running with a multisession CD. I highly recommend you give it a try. :)
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

Loren

#6 Post by Loren »

Thank you very much! So, following those instructions, Puppy will be able to view/interact with the entire HD even though it's NTFS format (I assume this is the case since one has to go looking for the iso in Windows folders)? It's not likely to mess up any files on the HD, right? Trying to make sure I don't do anything stupid to my WinXP installation...

softgun

#7 Post by softgun »

Reading NTFS should be OK. But not writing to it.
However this may change soon ;-)
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/foru ... um_id=2697
I will wait for the author to return from his travels :-)

See here for work arounds:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.p ... fs+reading

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

Loren, I have several times downloaded a Puppy iso to a NTFS partition then booted a Puppy CD and used burniso2cd to make a multisession DVD (and once a multisession CD.) Puppy only reads the iso from the NTFS partition in order to burn the DVD. No harm was ever done to the NTFS partition.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

Loren

#9 Post by Loren »

Ugh... unfortunately I seem to have been defeated by my hardware. I can't set the BIOS to boot from an external CD drive... thanks, everyone, sorry to waste your time. :/

PaulBx1

#10 Post by PaulBx1 »

I believe you can set up a boot floppy (assuming your machine has one) to boot from CD. Usually boot floppies are used to help older machines boot from USB, but IIRC you can also kickstart a CD boot from one. Search around for "boot floppy".

The question is, how would you get into Puppy the first time, so you can create the boot floppy? Putting together a poor man's install would do it, but that seems tedious. Maybe someone else has a better idea.

SnowDog

#11 Post by SnowDog »

I just have a question about your post. You said you can't set bios to boot from an external cd drive? Does this mean you can't boot from a cd drive in your machine?

Also, there's a boot floppy called Sbootmgr (recommended by Muggins)
I have tried it, it makes cd drives that aren't bootable, ...bootable :-)
Assuming you have a fdd that is.
If you find my posts helpful and you want to say thanks, please consider clicking the www button under my posts to visit my website.

Loren

#12 Post by Loren »

Yeah, I only have an external CD drive available. I'm on a laptop (a Dell Inspiron 1100) and the internal drive has been busted for a very long time. (Physically busted, I mean -- there's no chance of getting it working) No floppy drive either, I'm afraid. I might still try Puppy via emulation sometime, but I'm sure it would be hideously slow.

PaulBx1

#13 Post by PaulBx1 »

Sometimes you just have to get yourself a new computer. It's not worth your time fooling around with marginal hardware. You can get Puppy running on pretty slow/old stuff, but you need some resources.

How about replacing your busted internal CD? Can't be that expensive. Look at your support site for that laptop.