Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 22 Dec 2014, 23:01
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Lupu no sound on new laptop [Solved]
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
kickstart

PostPosted: Sun 20 Nov 2011, 20:03    Post subject:  Lupu no sound on new laptop [Solved]
Subject description: Higher spec computer has no audio.

Have just got a new laptop (Novatech nSpire 2760 with Pegatron A15 chassis, 2nd gen core i7 2760 CPU, 8GB RAM) but neither Lucid 5.2 nor 5.2.8 have sound and the speaker icon is missing from the tray, though everything else seems to work ok. Alsa sound wizard and multiple sound card wizard find nothing. The new Slacko and Racy distros work fine (just need to check Retrovol speaker box in Racy) as does Fatdog 64. Anyone else had audio issues with Lucid on newer hardware? I suppose you might say I should stick with a distro that works particularly Fatdog and Racy which boot straight into native screen resolution (1366x768) and release all 8 GB RAM, but I just personally prefer Lucid and if there is a known fix I'd like to try and apply it. My old laptop, my self build main & spare desktops and my wife's Advent netbook all run fine on Lucid - with sound!
Last edited by kickstart on Tue 22 Nov 2011, 04:47; edited 1 time in total
Dewbie

PostPosted: Sun 20 Nov 2011, 22:45    Post subject:  

Apparently, that's a pretty common problem.
You might want to check here for possible solutions.
playdayz

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov 2011, 00:17    Post subject:  

Quote:
Anyone else had audio issues with Lucid on newer hardware?

That is to be expected, since the basis of Lucid is almost 2 years old now.

You might try lupufy-slako all-in-one. It is what I am using and I can't tell it from Lucid Wink http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73580

You might also try Three-Headed Dog which is based on Lucid 5.2.8, but uses the same kernel (and drivers) as Slacko -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70736
kickstart

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov 2011, 11:18    Post subject:  

Many thanks guys, it seems I'm far from alone with this sound problem. Quite a lot to read and inwardly digest, I'll try out your suggestions and report back in due course. This forum is a godsend, without experienced members like youselves I would only get to hear of the main distros and miss out on all the puplet offshoots and development work. I'm not yet housetrained enough to contribute myself but maybe in future....?
kickstart

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov 2011, 18:48    Post subject:  

OK so far I've tried lupufying Racy with the lupufy-slacko.pet. It mostly works but you can certainly tell the difference from Lucid. It's just Racy with extra utilities, which I can certainly live with. Plus I've got all 8 GB RAM and the sound works!
What doesn't work is Roxterm and lxtask doesn't appear in the menu but I expect these can be downloaded separately if necessary
Next I'll take a look at Three-Headed Dog.
kickstart

PostPosted: Tue 22 Nov 2011, 04:45    Post subject:  

I've tried out Three-Headed Dog and I reckon it's the ideal Lupu replacement for my new laptop. It has the same look and feel right down to having the same default wallpaper as I was using previously. And the sound works, so problem solved. Thanks for the links guys.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: