Which browser is most secure?

For discussions about security.
roadkill13

#21 Post by roadkill13 »

Last week, I've found out that Fortress Linux has released a secure Linux OS that is called the "Secure Browsing Edition". It only includes a hardened web browser.

This browser has a smart protection system against evil scripts and cookies. And it seems to be the only browser that forces TLS 1.2/SSL 3.3 encryption, while all the available web browsers in my Puppy install only use TLS 1.0, which was cracked recently. (Google for TLS cracked). Besides, I don't trust Puppy anymore after my system was infected by a root-kit last week.

I now use the Fortress Linux secure browsing edition to do my online banking and more. It's fast and it has an "Apple" look window manager. It boots in a matter of seconds.

The URL of their website is:
http://www.fortresslinux.org
I checked out the provided link. The OS does look interesting. However only the "starter" edition is available for free download. The other editions that are available for download to "commercial, pro and elite members" only.

Looks like a product advertisement to me.

DPUP5520

#22 Post by DPUP5520 »

Yes I would be curious to know how you found out your computer was infected, if you checked using chkrootkit or rootkithunter please realize that both of these show false positives on Puppy. To verify boot up a clean install and run the rootkit checker and see if you come up with the same results.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69651][b][i]PupRescue 2.5[/i][/b][/url]
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72178][b][i]Puppy Crypt 528[/i][/b][/url]

jpeps

#23 Post by jpeps »

Given that he joined today, this is his first post, he's raving about a commercial distro, and that he's complaining about getting a root-kit virus last week (prior to joining)......could it possibly be spam? (don't want to jump to any wild conclusions, though.. :)

CLAM01

#24 Post by CLAM01 »

Dillo 2.2 doesn't like rolo's "fortress linux" site. Says HTML spec 4.01 (sec 7.7.4) advises explicitly to avoid it. This means that Dillo 3 will refuse to load the site. (I think 2.2.1 will refuse to, too).

Dillo seems to be the most finicky, or rather, cautious, of the the graphic browsers. I like that it automatically downloads to /tmp, too. At the start of a session you can go up one from /root, open /tmp, make a new folder, naming it 'downloads' or something, then click dillo to download to it in its download window. I usually give the file a shorter name there, too. Befoe you shut down you have to move what you want to keep from that /tmp/download to a permanent folder, in your pup-save or any partition on your disk, or your flash drive, or wherever. The /tmp folder, and all its contents, including your /downloads will be flushed when you shut down.

Another fine Dillo feature (unless you like gifs and tinsel-features) is that it downloads only the subject.html portion of a web page. It leaves the subject-files folder that all the ads and add-ons (which can be infected) are in.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#25 Post by Lobster »

could it possibly be spam
Spam FUD? You mean there are individuals knowingly or unknowingly spreading FUD? Tsk tsk . . . the world is an evil place and still some of us use the big browsers with all the flash trimmings, run as root and feel no need to fortify anything - not even our wine . . . (that would be me for example) 8)

Puppy Linux
The root to Tux
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

jpeps

#26 Post by jpeps »

Lobster wrote:
could it possibly be spam
Spam FUD? You mean there are individuals knowingly or unknowingly spreading FUD? Tsk tsk . . . the world is an evil place and still some of us use the big browsers with all the flash trimmings, run as root and feel no need to fortify anything - not even our wine . . . (that would be me for example) 8)

Puppy Linux
The root to Tux
Lying about catching a root-kit virus on Puppy, while posting a link to his own crap site is another category. Let's see...a discussion group with no posts, a forum where he talks to maybe one or two people at most about a variety of crap products he's hawking....

Okay, I'll sell you a version of Puppy with only a links browser. Better yet, one with no internet connection..

rolo

#27 Post by rolo »

Ranting about spam.. I've been a Puppy user for a long time and because I forgot my old account details and created a new one I'm now flagged as a spammer?

The fortress linux website may not be up-to-date, but it's software and security is. And at least you get decent answers to your questions on the forum or email unlike this forum.

It was a rootkit that infected my system through Flash, can't recall its name.

And for your information, the free Fortress Linux SBE only supports wired DHCP connections like it says in the manual and on cd boot screen.

jpeps

#28 Post by jpeps »

rolo wrote:Ranting about spam.. I've been a Puppy user for a long time and because I forgot my old account details and created a new one I'm now flagged as a spammer?

The fortress linux website may not be up-to-date, but it's software and security is. And at least you get decent answers to your questions on the forum or email unlike this forum.

It was a rootkit that infected my system through Flash, can't recall its name.

And for your information, the free Fortress Linux SBE only supports wired DHCP connections like it says in the manual and on cd boot screen.
uh....you forgot your old account details......you're a long time user....you got a rootkit that infected your system, but can't recall its name....you can't get decent answers to your questions on this forum....

Look, go hawk your crap product somewhere else. Looks like you've altered your marketing approach since last post...guess the dumb pricing level categories didn't work out so well.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#29 Post by Flash »

One of rolo's posts came from an IP address in the Netherlands and the other came from Belgium. He looks like a spammer to me, or some weird new kind of troll. :lol:

rolo

#30 Post by rolo »

Besides ranting, accusing me of being a spammer and publishing my private information without my approval is even illegal in the USA. If you switch ISP you'll get another IP or maybe I'm using TOR.

Thank God I'm now rid of these amateurs of the Puppy OS and forum. What are you trying to sell here, a decent product or a worthless DIY project?

You puppies are not the brightest animals, that for sure

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#31 Post by Flash »

Um, I'm pretty sure your IP address can't be "private information" if you want a server to respond. :lol:

jim3630

#32 Post by jim3630 »

rolo wrote:What are you trying to sell here, a decent product or a worthless DIY project?

You puppies are not the brightest animals, that for sure
rolo, actually there is nothing for sale on this forum.