wine questions

Virtual machines, emulation, etc.
thkn777

wine questions

#1 Post by thkn777 »

Hello,
I installed wine on Dpup 5.x.9 and actually there are three pieces of software I wanted to try running in wine, which are:
- FoxMail (became my mail standard program over the years, huge archive, can just copy the whole path to a new PC and it works instantly. Works only on M$ Windows.)
- Delphi (programming environment used at school, always good to have that stuff running at home, too. Works in M$ Windows, only)
- Trillian multi protocol messenger (the only one to natively support Skype AND having the other protocols, too.)

BACKGROUND
- Wine version used from this thread: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=225
- version: Wine 1.3.31_v1

- Foxmail works out of the box mounting a windows partition and just starting the EXE, but Gecko Engine makes the client hang on displaying HTML mails
- Delphi was installed at C:\ and I don't know how to just mount that drive and start Delphi WITH having wine it's own C: linked to another place.
- Trillian can't be installed, because they have an install bug in their current M$ Windows download

WHAT TO DO?
- Foxmail: should I try to overcome those Gecko problems? If so - any pointers? Or do the migration to Thunderbird (HTML mail functionality needed, so Sylpheed won't do)
- Delphi: move the Delphi installation to the wine C:\ path? It's quite huge.. Other idea: re-install Delphi on another drive (like D:) - and try to start from there. Any experience with this?
- Trillian: I just wait for a working download ;)

Kind regards,
Th.
LucidPuppy 5.2.8 "frugal" / DPup 5.x.9 "frugal" booting from USB flash drive using savefile. Acer Travelmate 5520G, 2GB RAM, ATI 2400XT, AMD TL-62 2x2.1GHz

Darkgame

#2 Post by Darkgame »

Uh..
For delphi, symlink the windows' program file to wine's
Been 3 months since i use puppy, coz sony vegas wont work lol.
~text from ipod~
the most newbie friendly linux - puppy linux
Sorry for doubles