Wary Puppy 5.2.2, 18 Nov. 2011

Please post any bugs you have found
rcrsn51

#281 Post by rcrsn51 »

Sage wrote:Oh dear! The quick right click feature is back - deletes the icon from the desktop. This was solved fairly recently?
Are you right-clicking to unmount the partition? Left-click on the little X.

Sage

#282 Post by Sage »

OK - thanks a bunch - I forgot that ruse.
Now I'm having the lost Flash advisory. I cancelled it at first ask because I was doing stuff that I didn't want encumbered with Flash, but when I'd finished, couldn't recover the auto-flash pop-up?
Gee - it's all so unintuitive. Goodness knows what incomers make of it all !

gjuhasz

VLC incompatible

#283 Post by gjuhasz »

VLC installed from PPM fails to play video files.
Last VLC-tolerant Wary was 5.1.3 (for me) - VLC plays everything there.

Mplayer runs fine in 5.2.2.
Attachments
missingfiles-vlc.jpg
(107.46 KiB) Downloaded 1035 times

pupmate

Wary Puppy 5.2.2 Problems with Bacon

#284 Post by pupmate »

I normally use Puppy 4.3.1 but thought I'd like to try some programming in BaCon, so downloaded Wary 5.2.2 and Racy 5.2.2 but unable to get anything to run that uses GTK in either, even Barry's simple empty window prog. The non-windows stuff works OK.
Went back to Wary 5.1.3 which extolled the virtues of BaCon and that works perfectly.
Am I doing something wrong? Or is it something to do with the problems that Barry has had with GTK recently?

gjuhasz

better glxgears

#285 Post by gjuhasz »

fps says it's running at a good speed, but what is being displayed is lousey.
@scsijon, try to run the attached glxgears (first rename it by deleting the false ".tar.gz" extension).
Attachments
glxgears.tar.gz
(15.38 KiB) Downloaded 807 times

Argolance

#286 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
Wary 5.2.2 - gtk 2 24 8 - gtkdialog version 0.8.0 (C) 2003-2007 Laszlo Pere, 2011 Thunor - devx_wary_5.2.2.sfs installed.
Not possible to compile gtkdialog version 0.8.1 from svn repository.
Console:
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkinputdialog.h:64: error: duplicate member 'GSEAL'
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkinputdialog.h:65: error: duplicate member 'GSEAL'
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkinputdialog.h:65: error: duplicate member '({anonymous})'
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkinputdialog.h:67: error: duplicate member 'GSEAL'
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkinputdialog.h:67: error: duplicate member '({anonymous})'
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkinputdialog.h:67: error: duplicate member '({anonymous})'
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkinputdialog.h:68: error: duplicate member 'GSEAL'
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkinputdialog.h:68: error: duplicate member '({anonymous})'
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkinputdialog.h:68: error: duplicate member '({anonymous})'
make[3]: *** [gtkdialog.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/root/gtkdialog/src'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/gtkdialog/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/gtkdialog'
make: *** [all] Error 2
What's going wrong?
=> More
Thank you.

Cordialement.

pemasu

#287 Post by pemasu »

Ttuuxxx reported GSEAL errors when he tried to compile metacity in Racy.
Maybe they are related to the new gtk version in Wary and Racy. Just brainstorming.
I just compiled latest gtkdialog in dpup and it succeeded fine.

broomdodger

#288 Post by broomdodger »

I also had trouble with the new gtk.

Vim 7.3.353

gtk2 is not found, so the X11-Athena GUI is compiled, rather than the GTK2 GUI

also tried:
--enable-gui=gtk2
--enable-gui=gtk2 --disable-gtktest
--enable-gui=gtk

all fail and compile only the non-GUI version

No problem compiling vim in racy 52190 and 52191 or earlier.

scsijon

#289 Post by scsijon »

getting these errors repeditively in my /tmp/xerrs.log if any application is run!

JWM: warning: /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme[10]: invalid tag in Active: Corner
JWM: warning: /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme[16]: invalid tag in Inactive: Corner

and wondering if this is the cause of packages having corners outside the viewing area?
Wary Puppy, version 5.2.2 on Wed 30 Nov 2011

Video report is:

Chip description:
2.0 VGA compatible controller
Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/910GL Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 04)
oem: Intel(r)915G/915GV/910GL Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS
product: Intel(r)915G/915GV/910GL Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: intel

X.Org version: 1.3.0
dimensions: 1024x768 pixels (388x291 millimeters)
depth of root window: 16 planes

regards

`f00

#290 Post by `f00 »

Corner tags not used in jwm themes since awhile back.. perhaps the given theme files need an update or edit? The old corner tag was just a way to differentiate the border color in that area of the window decoration, it got simplified out when rounded corners became the fashion in jwm.

Simply delete (or comment out) the <corner>somecolor</corner> line(s) in offending /root/.jwm/themes/<themename>-jwmrc theme(s) in the <WindowStyle> section of the theme file(s).

It's no biggie, but it'll throw that error up if the old corner tag is extant/active in the jwm theme currently used - /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme. Shouldn't have anything to do with window placement/size, just jwm checking :|

scsijon

#291 Post by scsijon »

thank you 'f00, I shall comment them out and see if that fixes the corner problem I am having.

It's the Gradient-bluish-jwmrc theme, I find it restfull to my 'elderly' eyes when tired.

thanks again

scsijon

EDIT: just had a look at it and it !is commented out in both places, so I wonder where else it may be coming from?

EDIT2: ahah!, not commented out in /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme, will comment out here and see what happens on reboot

Monsie

Wary Puppy 5.2.2

#292 Post by Monsie »

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to Puppy Linux, and have been running Wary Puppy on an old HP Pentium 3, cpu=500mhz, ram=384mb since mid September when I acquired this desktop from a colleague who was about to throw it in the landfill... Anyway, I am very pleased with how well Wary Puppy has been running and have upgraded to latest release.

Since Wary 5.2 I noticed a very minor bug in Seamonkey in that the browser lists itself as version 2.3.1 in the help menu --about Seamonkey when it is my understanding that Wary is running version 2.3.2 I don't know how much this matters, but I found that the fix was easy to do, namely: modify the info in the "application.ini" file within the Seamonkey 2.3.2 directory to read Version 2.3.2 instead of 2.3.1
Save the change in Geany text editor, and confirm the version change upon opening Seamonkey and checking "about Seamonkey" within the Help menu. :)

Cheers

scsijon

#293 Post by scsijon »

scsijon wrote:thank you 'f00,

not commented out in /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme, will comment out here and see what happens on reboot
Yep, that's fixed that one, thanks again 'f00.

Now i'm getting
----------------------------------------
Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon 'gtk-unindent-ltr' for stock: Icon 'gtk-unindent-ltr' not present in theme
Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_set_sensitive: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
-----------------------------------------------------------
agree with the first one, can't find it anywhere!
no idea where to start with the second.

scsijon

`f00

#294 Post by `f00 »

Gtk is a whole 'nother ballgame. Also very pervasive since many/most gui apps are built with it as the window interior drawing engine and ui.

As I recall, the theme icons are internal (and so can't be found by usual file-finding utilities, but possibly may be accessed with dev tools?). The warning seems to be theme-specific, so maybe a switch to another gtk theme might clear that.

Sometimes stuff in xerrs.log may be not-so-critical - 'reminders', as it were for devs to iron out (gtk can be a complex thing to muddle through for novices like me). If the ui seems functional otherwise, likely it's a fine point in error checking (have had gtk error messages pop up in xerrs.log whenever I open obconf at times, if the app works I tend to disregard the slew of messages about spinbutton :roll: ).

scsijon

#295 Post by scsijon »

thanks 'f00, i'll keep that in mind and hope there is nothing serious happening.

session

Re: ldlinux.sys not copied to usb

#296 Post by session »

session wrote:...the universal installer in Wary 5.1.4 isn't copying ldlinux.sys to a USB flash drive install.
This is still an issue in Wary 5.2.2... anyone else come across this?
[color=green]Primary[/color] - Intel Pentium 4 2.40GHz, 571MB RAM, ATI Radeon 7000. Linux Mint 17 Qiana installed.
[color=blue]Secondary[/color] - Pentium 3 533MHz, 385MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 Pro ULTRA TF. Precise Puppy 5.7.1 Retro full install.

rcrsn51

Re: ldlinux.sys not copied to usb

#297 Post by rcrsn51 »

session wrote:
session wrote:...the universal installer in Wary 5.1.4 isn't copying ldlinux.sys to a USB flash drive install.
This is still an issue in Wary 5.2.2... anyone else come across this?
Type the command

Code: Select all

chmod 1777 /tmp 

session

#298 Post by session »

Apparently the sticky bit isn't set on the tmp directory on a stock Wary system.
Hmm, it was on previous versions...
[color=green]Primary[/color] - Intel Pentium 4 2.40GHz, 571MB RAM, ATI Radeon 7000. Linux Mint 17 Qiana installed.
[color=blue]Secondary[/color] - Pentium 3 533MHz, 385MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 Pro ULTRA TF. Precise Puppy 5.7.1 Retro full install.

scsijon

#299 Post by scsijon »

session wrote:Apparently the sticky bit isn't set on the tmp directory on a stock Wary system.
Hmm, it was on previous versions...
And it is set on in woof's skeleton, however seems to be off in sandbox3's trees.

session, could you add the problem in barry's blog please under the latest woof topic.

thanks
scsijon

seaside

#300 Post by seaside »

I just checked my puppy_wary_5.2.2.sfs file and the /tmp directory's "sticky bit" is off.

Cheers,
s