(2.0.1) Filename case not preserved on USB flash (MUT??)

Please post any bugs you have found
PaulBx1

(2.0.1) Filename case not preserved on USB flash (MUT??)

#1 Post by PaulBx1 »

I have a PQI "Intelligent Stick" 1GB flash. It mounts as /mnt/sda1 under MUT, of course.

If I have a file named "JUNK" on /root, and use two ROX windows to drag the file from /root to /mnt/sda1, after a while it turns into "junk" on the flash drive. I can then drag it back to /root where it resides as a separate file from "JUNK". But if I drag "JUNK" from /root to /mnt/sda1 where "junk" already resides, it gives a message about overwriting "junk".

Interestingly, if I move this flash over to an XP system and look at the drive, it shows what was called "junk" on the puppy system as "JUNK" on the XP system!

I notice that there are four different options for dealing with filename case in the mount command when mounting vfat volumes. The XP system says it is FAT16 rather than VFAT, but I think the former is not supposed to preserve case while the latter does (even if the names are not case-sensitive), and that latter is the way it works on the XP system. In other words I can't have two separate files "JUNK" and "junk", although if I want to name it one or the other it will preserve that.

Anyway maybe how MUT mounts things needs to be looked at. I can see potential for difficulty if filenames are not preserved copying to and from USB flash. Or maybe there is some other thing to blame, like ROX.
Last edited by PaulBx1 on Sat 22 Jul 2006, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I could be wrong, but I think this peculiar behavior has been noted before, somewhere in the forum.