Choosing a cheap printer for puppy?

Using applications, configuring, problems
fitzhugh

Choosing a cheap printer for puppy?

#1 Post by fitzhugh »

I'd like help choosing a cheap printer for puppy. Advice is any form would be fine:
  • "Look for this feature..."
  • "Check out this model/manufacturer..."
  • "Stay away from this model/manufacturer..."
  • "Here's a URL - rtfm"
.... whatever. I'm utterly clueless about printers, have gone without one for years, but now want to print docs and quick reference cards and such since I'm trying to learn so many areas.

My priorities:
  • Initial cost is critical.
  • Works with puppy is critical, but I'm not afraid to dive in and configure, so doesn't need to be super easy, as long as the info on setting it up is out there.
  • Cost to use (new ink etc) important, but sadly less so than initial cost.
  • Quality of printing is not that important - if it saves significant money I'd go with a lower quality printer, as long as it is ok for home use, and go elsewhere for printing resumes and such. Same with speed.
  • Color would be nice but would prefer to save $, just like print quality and speed. Same with printing photos
  • Printing CD labels would be a very nice capability, but again, not necessary.
Not sure if you can even buy a printer that prints low qualty only, or a cheap (non-laser) b/w only printer these days.

Thank you for any help you can give,
Fitzhugh

raffy

Ink availability

#2 Post by raffy »

The availability of economical ink cartridge should be critical for you, then. Ink printers are nearly the same in prices and features these days, but there are some easier and more economical to replenish with ink than others.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

fitzhugh

#3 Post by fitzhugh »

Thanks Raffy. Good point. I read something about new printers having chips that prevent using third party refills, but can't find the source again. I found that on craigslist there are a number of printers for cheap, but since printers are notorious for breaking down I am weary of going that route. Still, perhaps getting a decent quality used laser printer is the way to go... they seem to be built more sturdily since they are targetting business more than home use, and though toner is more expensive initially it is MUCH cheaper in the long run. Does that sound right?

muggins

#4 Post by muggins »

have you checked the general recommendations of linuxprinting.org?

http://www.linuxprinting.org/suggested.html