A true concern about the very future of Puppylinux

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
nooby

#41 Post by nooby »

Sorry I should not make fun of your id. My bad. Sorry!

Now I do agree with you and we are not alone at all.

I have no link now but one guy whom the reporter saw as some expert said that in future he trusted that the standard smart phone will be the real computer that one use as the base for all kinds of computing but that one have help gadgets like keyboards and mouse and big screen and so on but the good thing that makes it the preferred computer is that it is always available. You already have it with you. One only have to make acessories that one can use anywhere one goes. Such are coming most likely.

Usb cable and program that allow the smartphone to be a wifi hub is a first step and others will follow. Maybe tablet pads will be used as portable screens too but the most practical is to only carry the smartphone and when you get to work then you sync to the "docking station" and when you get home you sync. to the gear you have at home.

One only need a portable keyboard with mouse if one are on a long travel but small such is not so difficult to find. Bluetooth or IR or a cable hub.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

davec51

Desktops

#42 Post by davec51 »

I'm a writer. I use my desktop with Puppy 528 every day, with my research spread out around me. If I lost the use of my PC I'd have to go back to a typewriter (remember them?).

borgbucolic

Raspberry PI

#43 Post by borgbucolic »

Hey,

Has anyone had the chance to look at the "Raspberry PI" computer? I understand that it a micro computer using an ARM processor and running on Linux. It has been listed with a price point of $25.00.

nooby

#44 Post by nooby »

We maybe have two threads about it already? :)

AF Branden

#45 Post by AF Branden »

puppyiso wrote: the whole point is that some day x86 might be cease to be produced and ARM(or other new) would dominate the market and thus we get a limited supply of x86(no up grade).
I don't think puppy is going to be in any real danger just because we aren't getting into the smartphone/tablet hype... If this ever happens we can worry about it when the time comes. If ever.
Bligh wrote: Some of us still think phones are for talking.
I am one of those people. I also have never used a tablet and don't ever plan on using one.
[img]http://i56.tinypic.com/nwymax.png[/img]

borgbucolic

my bad

#46 Post by borgbucolic »

nooby wrote:We maybe have two threads about it already? :)
:oops: my bad. Thanks for the nice search links though.

onyakev

Raspberry Pi

#47 Post by onyakev »

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

"An ARM Linux Box"

http://www.raspberrypi.org/?page_id=43& ... ostid-3583

Talking about running Puppy (or not) on above Forum

James C

Re: Raspberry Pi

#48 Post by James C »

onyakev wrote:http://www.raspberrypi.org/

"An ARM Linux Box"

http://www.raspberrypi.org/?page_id=43& ... ostid-3583

Talking about running Puppy (or not) on above Forum
Let's just say that there isn't much interest in porting Puppy to ARM......I.agree with the earlier post,serious work can't really be done on a smartphone or tablet and it will be quite a while before that may change so no need to chase a fad.

nooby

#49 Post by nooby »

I know nothing so I am kind of lost :)
But as many others have realized it is extremely time consuming and headache to spend years on coding all those needed changes to make a Puppy on ARM and then them have already moved on to better CPU still a variant of ARM but not compatible with the old version we have.

So the better approach has to be to accept that the commercial "bodies" spend money on Devs to make custom made versions for each company and then the way we could go is to support those that "root" them and that way get something that is not Puppy but a usable product that move with the target so them are always just a few weeks or month delayed having a rooted version ROM to load.

Am I wrong? :)

raffy

Re: ARM Puppy

#50 Post by raffy »

James C wrote:Let's just say that there isn't much interest in porting Puppy to ARM......I.agree with the earlier post,serious work can't really be done on a smartphone or tablet and it will be quite a while before that may change so no need to chase a fad.
Plus, x86 is moving to tablets, see for example the AMD Fusion processors.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Aitch

#51 Post by Aitch »

The thing about tablets/aPads is that you need a magnifier to read them!

Anyone wanna buy a Dell Server with SCSI drives - 1300 watts room warmer, ready for the winter? free earplugs :wink:

Growing old while tech gets younger, is disappointingly frustrating

Aitch :)

technosaurus

#52 Post by technosaurus »

Aitch wrote:The thing about tablets/aPads is that you need a magnifier to read them!

Anyone wanna buy a Dell Server with SCSI drives - 1300 watts room warmer, ready for the winter? free earplugs :wink:

Growing old while tech gets younger, is disappointingly frustrating

Aitch :)
the interface designs (touch) only work if you are a 2yr old supergenius or just have freakishly small hands
(based on optimal finger size and basic complexity)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

puppyiso

#53 Post by puppyiso »

Nooby, you got what I mean. And apology accepted :wink:

raffy, you are right. I have heard of GIGA byte's windows tablet.

The only problem is the price. I can find some windows based tablets here in China but close to 4000 yuan. Regular PC is just 2 to 3000 yuan.

ARM based cost only 7 to 800 yuan.

Folks, maybe I was overeacting to the flood of ARM based or A6 chip based tablets.

If resonably priced x86 compatible tablet is available, all problems would be gone.

puppyiso

#54 Post by puppyiso »

double post

Flash858

PC's are not going anywhere...

#55 Post by Flash858 »

I understand the concern, but:

Radio was supposed to kill newspapers.
TV was supposed to kill radio AND movie theaters.
The internet was supposed to kill everything.

Tablets are for media consumption, not content creation.

Even email is a PITA on a smart phone or tablet compared to on a proper computer.

I don't think computers are going anywhere.

nooby

Re: PC's are not going anywhere...

#56 Post by nooby »

Flash858 wrote:...
Even email is a PITA on a smart phone or tablet compared to on a proper computer.

I don't think computers are going anywhere.
Very good argument it sure is. I have tested now some three different
Android and looked on neighbor and workmates I phone something
and I also have a Nokia smartphone. Small keyboards or one need
to use Swype or some other fancy thing to write on them.

But still I do think we should be concerned due to price and availability
will be scarce on Desktops or Laptops?

The makers of them sell too few so them tend to concentrate on
volume and Game is volume so the desktops left are very power
consuming heavy things with water cooling and several fans and noisy
expensive things that I fail to find economical other than second hand.

Okay so Laptops would still have a niche for cheap usable computers.
But I am pessimistic the reports here in Sweden say them fail to sell
enough to make it go around.

So it is not easy to know what the future will bring.

My personal wish is a smartphone that is smart enough to be a real
computer in that one can connect a usb hub and through that one
connect any external thing one need. Mouse, Keyboard, External HDD drive, DVD rom burner, and it should have HDMI out to a decent screen.

That way one can use it as any other phone but when on are at home
and at work one can connect it to the external things and use it as any desktop one have. ARM is ideal for such smart phone.

theblackpig

#57 Post by theblackpig »

I can remember when debit/cash cards came out 30 odd years ago all the pundits predicted that cash would disappear ! I think the same may well apply to PC's

jpeps

#58 Post by jpeps »

It really comes down to what you can do with it. The rest is simply marketing gimmicks. For example, a real pianist is happy with a quality piano that hasn't changed much in 100 years...while non-musicians will go for 500 digitized sounds.

With an OS like puppy, I can do everything I want on an old laptop at blazing speeds. The OS doesn't control me, and the apps don't send out my personal info for marketing. I now get ads even on my kindle reader (the simple $75 e-ink one). Ads on your iphone, ads on your ipod, ads on your ipad. Are you ready for 3 minute ads for every 10 minutes internet browsing? Fond of blinking banner ads? It's the future.

saintless

#59 Post by saintless »

I will prefer to use an old PC if I have an OS which works fast, instead of buying a new one with another OS for it. Puppy linux is ready to bring back to live most of the old hardware. This will keep puppy alive for many years forward.
Many people here have the will and skills to ensure puppy linux future.

Sky Aisling

#60 Post by Sky Aisling »

puppyiso writes:
Hi, I feel like I have to jump in here with this reminder about the changing nature of the internet in addition to the form of the computer we hold in our hands or the OS that runs it.

Soon, very soon, like in the next few weeks, The Senate's PROTECT IP Act and House's Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) bill will be voted on in the USA.
Take a careful look at what this bill could mean to this forum and users of this forum.

Ars Technica Writes:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news ... merges.ars
The Senate's PROTECT IP Act and the House's Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) are so noxious that even the Business Software Alliance has serious reservations, and SOPA's main backer had to take to the virtual pages of National Review today to quell a growing revolt among his conservative colleagues about "regulating the Internet." Whatever you think of the legislation, it unquestionably represents a sea change in the US approach to the Internet, one which explicitly contemplates widespread website blocking and search engine de-listing ...
Like some other members of this forum, I collect old laptops and fix them up with Puppies and give them out to people who can't afford any form of computer device. These people mostly want to simply email friends and relatives and do some simple surfing of the web.

gcmartin's post back in August catches my attention:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 898#555898

My experience in IT goes back to the 60's. I've watched and participated in the mind-boggling development of computer devices and systems. And, I've watched the general public struggle with all the technical twists and turns that it takes to get a PC up and workable. Yes, a certain OS manufacturer has made this journey unacceptably difficult. Praise to the open source community for rising to the the challenge of providing an alternative, albeit still technical, solution. The general public chooses convenience and ease of use over anything else when it comes to things technical. That's what gcmartin saw in his friend and wisely applied a successful, workable solution. We can't loose site of the reason that most users want a 'computer'. The average user wants access to helpful, interesting information from the net. Or in the case of a certain President of the USA, he found and used his computer as incredible fund raising tool to get elected. And, recently, in the case of the people of the middle east, they found and used their machines as incredible social organizing tools. But, I digress, the average consumer doesn't buy the machine to learn mind numbing technical skills. They want easy access to information and communication.

Here is further information on SOPA:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73719