MANPATH? How/where do I add additional man pages?

Using applications, configuring, problems
fitzhugh

MANPATH? How/where do I add additional man pages?

#1 Post by fitzhugh »

How can I add additional man pages? I installed some apps that came with them but I see that we're using our own Barry-created man replacement that reads either html files or txt files, but these are .1 files... um, groff? I am not really sure what they are. I can view them in any text editor, but they don't look quite right, and I'd like to intetgrate the regular viewer back in. I pretty much understand Barry's man script, so figure I can hack it to also display another type, but what I'd really like is to rename it and reintroduce the original man, as well as info, plus aquire a list of the common man and info files. So, I guess the question really is: how do we get standard pieces of linux that are chopped out, like man is here? I don't see it available for download, I guess everyone is expected to have it (or more likely I'm not looking in the right places)

I've been happy with the man pages on line I found and set up to call from command line, but now that I have local only copies of things, and with them in whatever format <filename>.1 is, I'd like a propper reader.

Any suggestions?

Nathan F

#2 Post by Nathan F »

Here's what I have started doing. I just convert the manpages using man2html, which is included in Puppy. Then place them in /usr/share/doc and you can access them using the man command.

If you'd rather install the actual man command I'm not sure where to find it. I've looked in util_linux and in coreutils, and like you said google doesn't seem to point to it anywhere. If I were to put it in my installation I'd probably just grab the binary and any other related files from my Vector installation.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

fitzhugh

#3 Post by fitzhugh »

Thanks Nathan - didn't realize we had man2html, and when I'd tried downloading it the copy was corrupt. That will work fine for me.

I'm not clear on how to add missing 'basic' pieces in general, like you mention doing - grabbing from another distribition, for example. How do you find what you need? I'm guessing perhaps just

Code: Select all

ldd `which <command>`
and then just copying over the listed pieces into equivalent locations... would that do it?

Thanks

Nathan F

#4 Post by Nathan F »

Yes that should get you there. You may also need config files and such, I'm sure it will tell you the first time you try to run it.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...