How to run Puppy in VMware? (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
jpummill

How to run Puppy in VMware? (Solved)

#1 Post by jpummill »

I am trying to install Puppy (2.01 R2) to a virtual hard drive (IDE) inside of VMware Workstation 5.0.

The first roadblock that I run into is that the Virtual Hard Drive is seen by Puppy Universal Installer as a SuperFloppy. So the install wants to install directly to /dev/hda without creating any partitions.

The second problem is that after creating an ext3 file system and copying the files from the ISO of 2.01, the GRUB installer fails to install to /dev/hda. Specifically I get a dialog box titled "Grubconfig: ERROR" with the text "The partition '/dev/hda' is not Linux" with an <OK> button to continue.

I have a much more detailed list of my steps if that would help to diagnose the issue.

Thanks...

Goble

#2 Post by Goble »

I have Puppy 2.01 running in VMWare environment. I use the VMWare env as a development station for compiling and testing new apps. The real "EPIA VIA" hardware is used just to run "VMWare compiled" apps in real-world environment.

Puppy HD-installation in VMWare environment didn't require any special tricks. All I did was to make sure that virtual hard disk was partitioned and "formatted" before installating Puppy into it.

- Booted Puppy 2.01 live-cd rom using virtual cd rom (ie. ISO file was mounted as cdrom drive in VMWare)

- Entered command console in Puppy

- Partitioned virtual 10GB hard disk (at this stage still empty disk) with cfdisk application
cfdisk /dev/hda
Created 9.5GB Linux partition (type 83)
Created 0.5GB Linux swap partition (type 82)

- Created ext3 file system to newly partitioned /dev/hda1 (If I recall right I used default values in ext3 so nothing extra params here)
mkfs.ext3 /dev/hda1

- Created and activated a swap space in /dev/hda2 partition
mkswap /dev/hda2
swapon /dev/hda2

- Started "Puppy Universal Installer" from Menu | Setup menu item and followed the instructions in Installer app

The VMWare environment uses XOrg with "vmware" driver. XOrg Wizard detected vmware virtual graphic card just fine. No probs with network traffic either (virtual network card was also detected automatically).

This works great and is IMHO ideal platform for compiling apps and try out "experimental apps" without dangering the actual installation in real hardware. The Puppy in real hardware will have minimal Puppy+Xorg installation and all devel apps and libraries stay in VMWare environment running in WindowsXP (uuuh, yes winxp :-) )

-Mike

jpummill

#3 Post by jpummill »

Thank you Goble.

It was the partitioning of the virutal disk that was causing the problem. I thought that the Puppy Virtual Installer would do the partitioning for me.

After I partitioned my drive, everthing else went fine.

Thank you though for the helpful reply.