5.3 can't find SFS files

Using applications, configuring, problems
tytower

5.3 can't find SFS files

#1 Post by tytower »

Gee I'm getting a lot of faults with 5.3.
It wont find the java installation installed by Pet
I have downloaded 3 sfs files for development,java and LibreOffice.
When I go to bootloader setup for sfs files it says it does not have any
See screenshot below

It seems to me that the sfs files have actually loaded but certainly the java runtime environment can't be found and also the development files for compiling arn't being found either .

This all works in 5.28 so whats been changed affecting this ?
Attachments
SFSError.jpg
(174.21 KiB) Downloaded 2551 times

Doglover

#2 Post by Doglover »

Where did you save the .sfs files to?

tytower

#3 Post by tytower »

When you download the sfs files with the "Slickpet" you do not get asked where you save them to .

It downloads them to /temp
You get a message that they are installed and the ".pet" file is in temp if you wish to save it .
I did this and saved the pet file to my own Download directory

Now also I have all the .sfs files saved in the "/" directory too and I have the same .sfs files saved in my Download directory too.

I have looked and Puppy has set up an icon in /mnt for +mnt+home+devx slacko and one for +root+devx_slacko_5.3.sfs and some other mnt+sdc1+lupusave.2fs that I just don't understand why they are there as my usb stick with 5.28 is not plugged in ?

The only drive plugged at this time is Harddrive sda1
Attachments
mntShot.jpg
(117.21 KiB) Downloaded 453 times

nooby

#4 Post by nooby »

Reading here I get a hunch that maybe you try to outsmart slacko
in some way.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 690#586690

If slacko fail to use the devs then I would look for
if them are for same kernel and same version of Slacko?
Or for Lupu and same version of lupu and I would
see if I use the right codes in the menu.lst so it does not
boot using the wrong save file.

But maybe I get misled by lack of English fine tuning.
Assumptions on how something work can be misleading.
if things fails then one can go back and follow the directions
of the Devs and then report to them what exactly one did.

Now you get our more random answers. Unless some of the
Slacko Devs happen to find this thread?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

8-bit

#5 Post by 8-bit »

First, from the looks of your /mnt directory, you evidently either have a number of things mounted, or you failed to unmount them before a reboot or shutdown.
If you click on them and they show up as empty, you can safely delete them.

Now on to the other problem with the SFS files failing to be found.

You have two options here.
The first is to move them from where ever you have them to /mnt/home.
Then they will be found.
I also remember seeing a post about an SFS directory load utility with the SFS files being in a directory you chose from. But I forgot where I saw it on the forum.

To find that java installation, in your root directory, click on the EYE to show hidden files.
Then navigate to a directory called ".packages"
In that directory are some text files with the names of the installed packages.
Find the one with java in the name and open it to fine the locations the files were installed to.

So move those SFS files to /mnt/home.
I am not sure if you could leave them where they are at and make system links to them in /mnt/home.

That would actually be nice in that one could keep them in the same directory as the frugal install of Puppy.

nooby

#6 Post by nooby »

8-bit maybe you talk about seaside's SFSexec-dir or something?
I also remember seeing a post about an SFS directory load utility with the SFS files being in a directory you chose from. But I forgot where I saw it on the forum.
The problem is that we have two kinds of sfs files don't we.

those that are part of the puppy boot like lupu-528.sfs
and slacko-5.3.sfs and then we have devs xxx sfs
are them to be placed in the directory like this

1. lupupuppy dir where you have lupu_528.sfs and the devs sfs
2. slackopuppy dir where you have the slacko_53.sfs and sfs for slacko version of Devs.

So what the OP talk about here could be the dev sfs for lupu getting mixed into the slaco dev sfs? I fail to sort it out so I most likely
leave this thread to people getting it. So I am not writing rub-bush :)
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

01micko

#7 Post by 01micko »

Hmmm... slickpet ONLY downloads pets to /tmp. SFS are downloaded to their appropriate place dependent on PUPMODE. It's identical in Lupu, I know I wrote the code.

I fear you may have errors on your HDD. Add pfix=fsck to your kernel line in your grub menu.lst or boot the cd with that parameter to check errors.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

tytower

#8 Post by tytower »

Thank you all
8-bit wrote:First, from the looks of your /mnt directory, you evidently either have a number of things mounted, or you failed to unmount them before a reboot or shutdown.
If you click on them and they show up as empty, you can safely delete them.

They were all empty so I deleted them ,thanks

Now on to the other problem with the SFS files failing to be found.

You have two options here.
The first is to move them from where ever you have them to /mnt/home.
Then they will be found.
See screenshot again- the files are in "/" and also in "/mnt/home"

Yes there is a load on the fly but when I tried that it said the sfs files were already loaded

To find that java installation, in your root directory, click on the EYE to show hidden files.
Then navigate to a directory called ".packages"
In that directory are some text files with the names of the installed packages.
Find the one with java in the name and open it to fine the locations the files were installed to.
I found them in /opt I see LibreOffice also puts its files there. Nothing in the .packages files told me where they were installed but I did find it listed twice - one for the java install I did and one for the sfs load . I think I will get rid of one

So move those SFS files to /mnt/home.
I am not sure if you could leave them where they are at and make system links to them in /mnt/home.

That would actually be nice in that one could keep them in the same directory as the frugal install of Puppy.
The files are already there
Nooby --you are having translating difficulties and I cannot understand what you are talking about . Main point is "SFS" files are in "mnt/home but the bootloader choice to load them says they are not .
01micko - this does not happen when I use 5.28 so there is an unintended difference somewhere . I added "puppy pfix=fsck" anyway
Last edited by tytower on Sun 11 Dec 2011, 12:56, edited 2 times in total.

8-bit

#9 Post by 8-bit »

From the looks of your / and /mnt/home directory contents being the same, it looks like you did a full install of Puppy and not a frugal install.
To test for example if you have the devx SFS file loaded, open a terminal and type "make".
If you get "command not found" then the devx file is not loaded.
If you are going to do some compiling of drivers, I would suggest you get the kernel source SFS for Slacko.

tytower

#10 Post by tytower »

I get

: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
#
so its loaded
I would suggest you get the kernel source SFS for Slacko
Just to be sure I went back and downloaded it again -the third or fourth time now and all for 5.3 Slacko.

This message continues to come up
"Sorry, there are no SFS files in directory /mnt/home
(or they all have the wrong '*_nnn.sfs' version number)
You will need to download and place one there first."

01micko

#11 Post by 01micko »

tytower

please run the atached tarball script and post the resulting "testing.log.gz" file here please. It will give me valuable debugging info.

A suggestion.. right click on the java sfs and choose "sfs_load", tell us what happens

EDIT: This looks like one of these "save to entire partition" "frugal" installs (PUPMODE=6.. 8-bit, just for reference there is no "mnt/home" in a full install, but you knew that :wink: .), still uses the layered filesystem. The fact that the devx is loaded tells me you did something out of the ordinary with the java sfs. We recommend not using the bootmanager to load sfs but use sfs_load. If sfs load is failing then it's a bug of sfs_load and should be reported here.

Your usb install in Lupu is completely different and had you done the same type of install with any Puppy and followed the exact same procedures the same problems will have occurred, so this is not a Slacko bug, but possibly a woof bug, if it is a bug.
Attachments
test_sfs.tar.gz
(411 Bytes) Downloaded 333 times

tytower

#12 Post by tytower »

What I got was

# ./test_sfs.sh

ls: cannot access /initrd/mnt/dev_save: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access /initrd: No such file or directory
#

Yes it is a full instal to the hard drive for 5.3 but via universal installer to the usb stick for 5.28

Testing log I expanded and not sure how to get back atm
It gave this
PUPMODE=2
#ATADRIVES is all internal ide/pata/sata drives, excluding optical, excluding usb...
ATADRIVES='sda '
#ATAOPTICALDRIVES is list of non-usb optical drives...
ATAOPTICALDRIVES='sr0 '
PUP_HOME='/'
PDEV1='sda1'
DEV1FS='ext2'
----------------------

---------------------

---------------------

done

Oh btw I have the java files loaded too I find even though none of them are showing in /mnt/home ?

But you say /mnt/home should not be there on a full install anyway.
Last edited by tytower on Sun 11 Dec 2011, 12:10, edited 2 times in total.

01micko

#13 Post by 01micko »

Ok, then perhaps it is a full install.. I need to know the pupmode to be certain.. can you run

Code: Select all

cat /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE
please?

01micko

#14 Post by 01micko »

Bootmanager will not load your sfs. You can try sfs_load but if that fails then open Slickpet >> the Sfs_grabber tab then drag and drop the sfs file in the entry box.. it should decompress the sfs and install, you can uninstall later from Puppy Package Manager
Attachments
sfs.png
(116.13 KiB) Downloaded 2281 times

tytower

#15 Post by tytower »

Mm thats interesting and confusing . Seemed to work OK with dev sfs , created a + dev sfs icon and if I click on that there are the right files in it .(when I rebooted they were gone but the sfs icons were still there

The java it did the same but when I click on it there are no files in it so perhaps it hides them in /opt
I did the right click/sfs load and got "they were already loaded"
Thanks .01micko

While you are there do you know where I can download avr-g++ from in a version or package that will install to puppy 5.3 ok ?

01micko

#16 Post by 01micko »

tytower wrote: While you are there do you know where I can download avr-g++ from in a version or package that will install to puppy 5.3 ok ?
avr-gcc is in the PPM if you enable the Slackware repos (Type avr in the search box), I'm not sure if it includes avr-g++, hope this helps.

canbyte

#17 Post by canbyte »

I am also experincing the same problem - boot configuration can't find sfs. Have been going crazy trying to get draftsight installed as outlined here.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 7&start=30

I've been trying in both 528 and 533 and hampered by optical drive broken (by multisession?)

This SFS thing is now explained and it's dumb.

In 528, the boot thing will find the sfs file if placed in '/' directory and if it is named _528.sfs

In 533 it will only find the file if it is placed in /mnt/home and named _5.3.3.sfs

The confusion is caused by multi instructions with the error message being correct in 533 but not in 528. Well, at least as I recall since it was late last night when I quit trying 528 and I'm not going back to verify what I just wrote, assuming it can be recovered at all. But there is something screwy with the format thing. Looks like a bug to me.
[color=orange]1. Dell Dimension E521, AMD Athln 64, 2 GHz 1.93GB ram,
Puppy 533 on CD, accesses flash drive only,
FFox Nightly12.0
2. Compaq P3 733Hz 375RAM
Printer: Oki C3400 > LAN [/color]