Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 29 Nov 2014, 02:21
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
pUPnGO - 6Mb ISO - Basic Building Block Puplet
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 34 of 58 [868 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, ..., 56, 57, 58 Next
goingnuts

PostPosted: Mon 12 Dec 2011, 16:03    Post subject:  

technosaurus: Thanks for the help and hints!

The problem with setting window name in the gtk app builds with tinyX11/uclibc seems solved! Very Happy

Even though compiled with --disable-nls gdk/gtk insist on using Xlib lc-family and friends (and its a huge family with a number of friends!).

By modifying source of gdkwindow.c (function "gdk_window_new") to use XSetWMName/XSetWMIconName instead of XmbSetWMProperties (who is the lc-demanding function) everything works ok.

Maybe a patch to jwm to accept windows without names might be a nice feature to do in the future...is it a bug:?:

Attached and updated mcb_gtk containing Xdialog-2.3.1, dillo-0.8.6 (without ssl), emelfm-0.9.2, mp-3.3.13 and mtpaint-3.21 in one 2173K static bin (905K upxed)

Copy to /usr/bin and run "mcb_gtk --install".

As always errors and bugs are spotted after submission so use with caution! Wink
mcb_gtk121211.tar.gz
Description  Static mcb build of Xdialog-2.3.1, dillo-0.8.6, emelfm-0.9.2,
mp-3.3.13 and mtpaint-3.21
gz

Download 
Filename  mcb_gtk121211.tar.gz 
Filesize  898.08 KB 
Downloaded  154 Time(s) 
technosaurus

PostPosted: Mon 12 Dec 2011, 18:08    Post subject:  

It may be worth trying a newer version of jwm 2.1.0 was released in September and Joe has been extremely active upto and since then. (Note: at v530 the source grows substantially )

I also looked into the Xvesa/xvfb differences with possible solution:
move const KdCardFuncs vesaFuncs = { ... }
from vesainit.c to vesa.c
then merge vesainit.c and fbinit.c into a kdinit.c using the same mechanisms used in the mcb to select which function

Code:
void InitCard (char *name){
    KdCardAttr   attr;
switch ( FIRST_FIVE(argv[0][0],argv[0][1],argv[0][2],argv[0][3],argv[0][4]) ) {
   case FIRST_FIVE('x','v','f','b','d') : KdCardInfoAdd (&fbdevFuncs, &attr, 0);
   case FIRST_FIVE('X,'v','e','s','a') : KdCardInfoAdd((KdCardFuncs *) &vesaFuncs, &attr, 0);
   default : return 1;
}

void InitOutput (ScreenInfo *pScreenInfo, int argc, char **argv){
    KdInitOutput (pScreenInfo, argc, argv);
}

void InitInput (int argc, char **argv){
KdInitInput(&LinuxMouseFuncs, &LinuxKeyboardFuncs);
//touchscreen support goes here
}

int ddxProcessArgument (int argc, char **argv, int i){
int   ret;   
if (!(ret = vesaProcessArgument (argc, argv, i)))
   ret = KdProcessArgument(argc, argv, i);
return ret;
}

btw this is what I currently have for checking the mcb name:
Code:
#include "mcb.h"
#define FIRST_FIVE(x1,x2,x3,x4,x5)   (((((((((x5)<<8)|(x4))<<8)|(x3))<<8)|(x2))<<8)|(x1))

int main( int argc, char** argv ){
argv[0]=basename(argv[0]);

switch ( FIRST_FIVE(argv[0][0],argv[0][1],argv[0][2],argv[0][3],argv[0][4]) ) {

#ifdef MCB_DILLO
   case FIRST_FIVE('d','i','l','l','o')   :
      return(dillo_main(argc,argv);
#endif

#ifdef MCB_EMELFM
   case FIRST_FIVE('e','m','e','l','f')   :
      return(emelfm_main(argc,argv);
#endif

it works but I get this on newer compilers:
warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast

currently writing a wrapper for gcc that will handle nuances like:
always includes the *FLAGS you want
never includes the *FLAGS you dont
future support for:
linking the objects inside the static libs directly by using ar -x to extract them to a dir and then replacing -lsomelib with lsomelib/*.o (needed for fvisibility=hidden)
selectability of C/C++ library (musl, uclibc and uclibc++)

Edit: I posted a mixed shared/static build of mupdf here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61922
needs only X11, Xext, freetype, jpeg and png (patches attached here)
mupdf-multicall.patch.gz
Description  Here is a patch for mupdf as mcb, see also ./scripts subdirectory for minimal builds of 3rd party libs
gz

Download 
Filename  mupdf-multicall.patch.gz 
Filesize  2.47 KB 
Downloaded  173 Time(s) 

goingnuts

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec 2011, 07:01    Post subject:  

technosaurus wrote:
It may be worth trying a newer version of jwm 2.1.0 was released in September and Joe has been extremely active upto and since then. (Note: at v530 the source grows substantially )

I also looked into the Xvesa/xvfb differences with possible solution:
move const KdCardFuncs vesaFuncs = { ... }
from vesainit.c to vesa.c
then merge vesainit.c and fbinit.c into a kdinit.c using the same mechanisms used in the mcb to select which function

Admitted...haven't checked the development of jwm for a long time but did a quick test of the current 547. The no windowname-crash is fixed but new things popped up: Desktop totally covered if background set (ROX is running behind but invisible), respecting GNOME hint removed so "desklaunch" unusable now (spawns windows for every icon) and not on every desktop, still STICKY windows are shown in pager and apps like root-tail have no chance showing anything. So although a lot of new wanted features are taking care of it still seems to be a moving target...

Cool solution with the Xvesa/Xfbdev! I´ll check it out. Thanks!

I have done some initial test of diethotplug-0.4 to replace udevd and most of the pupevent-scripts. Eliminate the need for all the rules in /etc/udev and gives a less complex file-structure. Seems very fast and also seems to find and load most of the modules. Attached - place in /sbin...
diethotplug-0.4-bin.tar.gz
Description  diethotplug-0.4 bin
gz

Download 
Filename  diethotplug-0.4-bin.tar.gz 
Filesize  24.94 KB 
Downloaded  148 Time(s) 
technosaurus

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec 2011, 12:54    Post subject:  

excellent - it appeared to build on Wary's 2.6.32 kernel also (btw it appears to be kernel version dependent - I assume you were using the 4.1 kernel?)
hotplug.tar.gz
Description  this one is bigger b/c the 2.6.32 kernel supports many more devices
gz

Download 
Filename  hotplug.tar.gz 
Filesize  29.95 KB 
Downloaded  146 Time(s) 

goingnuts

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec 2011, 13:29    Post subject:  

technosaurus wrote:
excellent - it appeared to build on Wary's 2.6.32 kernel also (btw it appears to be kernel version dependent - I assume you were using the 4.1 kernel?)

Not sure about the kernel dependency...Yes build on P412 (kernel 2.6.25.16). Tested a little further: Finds non-active netcards, usb hotplug works and also find 3-5 more things than if using udevd...
Not sure about loading of firmware - might not work for that...
Also it seems to work without the content in /ect/modules.
technosaurus

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec 2011, 13:52    Post subject:  

goingnuts wrote:
Not sure about loading of firmware - might not work for that...
Also it seems to work without the content in /ect/modules.

there was a firmware loader as a separate small package on the same sourceforge page
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/linux-hotplug/fxload-2008_10_13.tar.gz
(the other version is roughly the same age as diethotplug though ...)
Re: kernel version ... I am assuming the *_module.maps would vary from kernel to kernel, which are what the build uses to generate its header files.

Edit: also found this dillo ssl patch, may work better?:
http://www.jp.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=96592

goingnuts

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec 2011, 10:14    Post subject:  

Thanks - I think the ssl patch only makes the ssl-compile possible without changing the real content...
Could not get the firmware thing to compile but will try again later...

Now have Amigos patched ROX-Filer-1.2.2-12 done (without Xft) as standalone or in a MCB - but think it needs some reconfiguring (update icons and helper scripts). But everything seems to work!
Ends up in a 1645K static bin and it seems resource use is extremely low compared to the standard ROX-Filer in P412...(3000K versus 30000K running pinbord and 1 file-window).
Edit: reduced standard ROX ressources above from 30000K to 15000K Embarassed
With all these gtk´s onboard...is there any way of preventing a "freeze" if you start too many programs and run out of free ram?
Also discovered that even though diethotplug is fast and attractive - some other functions are depending on the different pupevent scripts - some alternative scripts to handle this should them be made...
Been busy trying to get ROX-Filer running in pupngo - almost working but cant get drive icons to line up (ends in a stack in left bottom corner) and only the cddrive that I boot from opens filer window..?
technosaurus

PostPosted: Thu 15 Dec 2011, 18:33    Post subject:  

goingnuts wrote:

With all these gtk´s onboard...is there any way of preventing a "freeze" if you start too many programs and run out of free ram?
Also discovered that even though diethotplug is fast and attractive - some other functions are depending on the different pupevent scripts - some alternative scripts to handle this should them be made...
Been busy trying to get ROX-Filer running in pupngo - almost working but cant get drive icons to line up (ends in a stack in left bottom corner and only the cddrive that I boot from opens filer window..?
sure... If its an mcb you could use a while loop to sleep 1 while freemem is less than the amount needed. That was my main reason for writing jwm notify ... To provide important notifications without using additional resources. As for the other parts, please post ... BTW I got a working jwm in a ~600kb initrd.gz ... Need to play with some more stuff to get rxvt to work though, looks like I will need mdev at the least.

Edit: I was thinking about designing a little gtk1 frontend in C using glade 1.x if anyone is interested, but I may need some help with a couple things...

Edit2: just noticed this version of jwm in the mcb_vesa uses sh -c to exec apps ... (I had patched to either use system or my fork_exec code to save ~1mb per process)
vmlinuz.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  vmlinuz.gz 
Filesize  1.46 MB 
Downloaded  174 Time(s) 
initrd.gz
Description  To modifyL
mkdir initrd;cd initrd;lzcat ../inird.gz |cpio -id
find . | cpio -o -H newc | lzma -9 > ../initrd.gz
gz

Download 
Filename  initrd.gz 
Filesize  986.42 KB 
Downloaded  165 Time(s) 
qemu-system-i386.gz
Description  ./qemu-system-i386 -cpu pentium -kernel vmlinuz.gz -initrd initrd.gz -append "quiet"
gz

Download 
Filename  qemu-system-i386.gz 
Filesize  889.6 KB 
Downloaded  174 Time(s) 

goingnuts

PostPosted: Fri 16 Dec 2011, 17:10    Post subject:    

Whats is there to say....? I knew you were some where in the future..now we know you must be a GD enterprise...
COOL!
MinHundHettePerro

PostPosted: Fri 16 Dec 2011, 20:42    Post subject:  

Hello Smile!

@technosaurus

Very nice toy! - Been playing with it the whole day!

A couple of questions:

I use a swedish keyboard and took the easy way out to implement this in this microsaurus-thingy - I simply ungzipped P412's /root/lib/keymaps/se.gz to /usr/share/kmap/se.kmap.

Lo and behold - now I can use my se-kbd out in a terminal (åÅäÄöÖ works and shows properly, as do the other se kbd-layout keys), but in an x terminal-emulator - no go!

Seems like the real terminal uses utf8, and the x term emulator uses ascii/ansi.

In the "welcome screen" - startupcommands - åÅäÄöÖ can be entered properly, but in rxvt, just renders ??????.

A file containing 'e5 c5 e4 c4 f6 d6' renders properly when cat'ed in rxvt, and so does echo -e "\xe5\xc5\xe4....".

- It also makes it impossible to enter backticks (`) in rxvt Sad!!!

Any thoughts, did I take a too easy route by simply re-using P412's /root/lib/keymaps/se.gz, is there a better/more complete kmap to use?

I'd like to have, at least one free, available tty, apart from the two already in use (tty1, start-up; tty2, x), how to implement this? Or, is this constrained already at compile time?

Cheers Smile/ MHHP

Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
Nämen, vaf.... ln -s /dev/null MHHP
technosaurus

PostPosted: Fri 16 Dec 2011, 21:49    Post subject:  

I made no real effort to do those things as of yet, I just kept half-splitting between what I thought was the absolute minimum to get xvesa+jwm+rxvt and a small, known-working build (pupngo) ... I actually wanted to have to think about "why?" when adding stuff back in, so that it can be done a little more cleanly ... for instance my entire file structure looks like a house of cards built on symlinks (it is) -- I was actually planning to add the localization types of stuff a bit differently as well, only from inside of X and it is easier for me to rewrite stuff from scratch than to adapt existing code... nothing set in stone at the moment, but take heart in knowing that one of my main purposes in doing this in X, was to enable friendlier bootup with better localization - with every option being specifiable @ the bootloader (I like to run pfix=ram, and am loving qemu now, so I don't want to have to set these all the time)
MinHundHettePerro

PostPosted: Fri 16 Dec 2011, 22:21    Post subject:  

technosaurus wrote:
I made no real effort to do those things as of yet, I just kept half-splitting between what I thought was the absolute minimum to get xvesa+jwm+rxvt and a small, known-working build (pupngo) ...
I hope you keep on half-splitting ...
Microsaurus reminds me of BL3, but in a modern disguise (and with development potential) - now I'll have to dig around for my BL3-files to see if I ever did get se-kbd working there ...

Cheers Smile/ MHHP

PANZERKOPF

PostPosted: Sat 17 Dec 2011, 17:55    Post subject:  

MinHundHettePerro wrote:

I use a swedish keyboard and took the easy way out to implement this in this microsaurus-thingy - I simply ungzipped P412's /root/lib/keymaps/se.gz to /usr/share/kmap/se.kmap.
Lo and behold - now I can use my se-kbd out in a terminal (åÅäÄöÖ works and shows properly, as do the other se kbd-layout keys), but in an x terminal-emulator - no go!
Seems like the real terminal uses utf8, and the x term emulator uses ascii/ansi.
In the "welcome screen" - startupcommands - åÅäÄöÖ can be entered properly, but in rxvt, just renders ??????.

Your system locale (/usr/lib/locale/?)and Xlocale (/usr/share/X11/locale/?) are correct? Did you have needed files in those directories?
A font used by xterminal is correct?
Also, Kdrive servers like Xvesa and Xfbdev haven't Xkeyboard extension by default so keyboard setup can be performed with xmodmap only. You should create an Xmodmap file with needed redefinitions then load it with xmodmap utility.

MinHundHettePerro

PostPosted: Sat 17 Dec 2011, 19:58    Post subject:  

PANZERKOPF wrote:
MinHundHettePerro wrote:

Your system locale (/usr/lib/locale/?)and Xlocale (/usr/share/X11/locale/?) are correct? Did you have needed files in those directories?
N/A in microsaurus' case, besides, I rarely set my locale corresponding to my keyboard layout - e.g. in Puppy I usually set my locale to en_GB, while my kbd-layout, both in console and in X, is set to "se".
Quote:
A font used by xterminal is correct?
Yes, that could very well be the case. I tried to change rxvt's font in ~/.Xdefaults, to no avail, though. But, could be the cause of the problem.
Quote:
Also, Kdrive servers like Xvesa and Xfbdev haven't Xkeyboard extension by default so keyboard setup can be performed with xmodmap only. You should create an Xmodmap file with needed redefinitions then load it with xmodmap utility.
Ah, I'm not so experienced with Xvesa, I could try to install xmodmap from P412, but what kind of kbd redefinition shall I create/look for (a bit confused here, there are compiled kmaps, kmaps, and the nested mappings files, like in /usr/share/kbd/keymaps, /etc/X11/kbd)? Grateful for input here ... Smile Smile
Thanks Smile, I'll be a-treading the x-font and xmodmap paths ...

@technosaurus

MinHundHettePerro wrote:

I'd like to have, at least one free, available tty, apart from the two already in use (tty1, start-up; tty2, x), how to implement this? Or, is this constrained already at compile time?
Yeah, right, I did solve it (sort of Embarassed Razz) by inserting
Code:
getty 38400 tty3 &
into /init. But, since /etc/inittab isn't read/acted upon, it's not respawned Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad. Ah, well, I can live with that ...

For now Smile/ MHHP

PANZERKOPF

PostPosted: Sun 18 Dec 2011, 11:15    Post subject:  

MinHundHettePerro wrote:

N/A in microsaurus' case,

Xlocale files you can borrow from same (or maybe any?) verison of Xorg.

MinHundHettePerro wrote:

I rarely set my locale corresponding to my keyboard layout - e.g. in Puppy I usually set my locale to en_GB, while my kbd-layout, both in console and in X, is set to "se".

Puppy has Xlocale files. Moreover, Puppy uses Xorg with xkb (even Xvesa is compiled with xkb) so there are no problems with languages.

MinHundHettePerro wrote:

what kind of kbd redefinition shall I create/look

This page may be useful for you:
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/Intkeyb.html

Page 34 of 58 [868 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, ..., 56, 57, 58 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: