Fatdog64-521 (October 12, 2011)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
oldroy

ok with Fatdog64-520 b5, hangs with 511

#81 Post by oldroy »

I have been using Fatdog64-520b5 for some time and loving it.

After downloading and burning Fatdog64-521 and trying it on this laptop ("Lance Armstrong - AMD Turion, 1 gig mem., report is attached) and booting with "fatdog pfix=ram" the whole thing slows and quits after typing one paragraph in Abiword. The cooling fan seems to be running more than it should be as well. MD5 sums were ok.

Went back to 520b5 and everything is working perfectly. Part of the unexplained. :(
Attachments
hardinfo.zip
(6.04 KiB) Downloaded 205 times

Jim1911

Re: ok with Fatdog64-520 b5, hangs with 511

#82 Post by Jim1911 »

oldroy wrote:I have been using Fatdog64-520b5 for some time and loving it.

After downloading and burning Fatdog64-521 and trying it on this laptop ("Lance Armstrong - AMD Turion, 1 gig mem., report is attached) and booting with "fatdog pfix=ram" the whole thing slows and quits after typing one paragraph in Abiword. The cooling fan seems to be running more than it should be as well. MD5 sums were ok.

Went back to 520b5 and everything is working perfectly. Part of the unexplained. :(
When running 64-521 from a CD, did you allow a save file to be created and copied to your hard drive, also the sfs file? Because of the slow CD drive, it will alway be slow using pfix=ram so it's always best to set up a frugal installation on your hard drive.

My favorite technique is install puppy on a usb flash drive along with grub4dos which allows boot from the flash drive or the frugal installation on the hard drive. That way all that's accessed on the flash drive is the boot code which is very fast.

oldroy

Abiword crashes

#83 Post by oldroy »

Wow! The forum is back!

Thanks to all who replied. This was and is now back to a frugal installation. Abiword still slows down to slower than I can type then freezes even when starting with fatdog pfix=ram.

I installed open office and open office writer works well so that will be the fix for now. No fan coming on, can type a whole page rapidly, and no freezing.

FWIW I tried fatdog64-521 on a 64 bit Acer machine and everything worked perfectly there.

smokey01

#84 Post by smokey01 »

Fatdog doesn't work with the Netgear WN111 WIFI dongle.

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drive ... 70#working

Here is some information to help you get it going. The carl9170-1.fw needs to be placed in /lib/firmware.

get it here: http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j ... xw&cad=rja

Fatdog64-521 currently has the carl9170.ko driver but not the firmware installed.

Cheers

Liboicl

Unmount All?

#85 Post by Liboicl »

When I right-click on a drive and choose "Unmount ALL mounted partitions" it opens pMount, but does not unmount any drives. This has been happening for quite some time through the versions. I am now on 521. I assumed it was a small bug and would probably be fixed quickly. It seems I was wrong. Does this happen to anyone else?
[url=http://tehgroup.org/repo]Additional .pet packages[/url]

Jim1911

How to use Samba

#86 Post by Jim1911 »

I've been trying to learn to use Samba to share files over a wifi network with my laptop. Samba apparently is already setup properly with /etc/samba/smb.conf, however when I run lameSMBexplorer on my laptop or desktop, I get the following dialog when I doubleclick on data Downloads: I've tried root, woofwoof, and spot with no password, neither work.

I am very inept about Samba, although I have read gcmartin's tutorial which to me doesn't seem relevant since Fatdog already has the smb.conf file setup to use Spot. Are their other configuration files that I need to address, or am I just missing the proper Options to add under Domain, Username, and Password in lameSMBexplorer?

Thanks,
Jim
Attachments
image-4.jpg
(38.1 KiB) Downloaded 1057 times

kirk

#87 Post by kirk »

Jim,

In LameSMBxplorer don't put anything for username or password. It should work. You can also double right click on the data folder. If it doesn't work, something has probably been changed in /etc/samba/smb.conf. You can copy the original file from /initrd/pup_ro2/etc/samba/smb.conf and then stop and restart Samba.
The default Samba configuration forces anonymous users to be logged in as user spot, so you'll only be able to write to places spot owns.

Liboicl,

That's a bug, we'll have to look into it. Thanks.

smokey01,

I'll put the firmware in for next time.

Jim1911

#88 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi Kirk,

Thanks, however the problem was not with Samba or lameSMBexplorer, I had a broken link to /Spot/Downloads.

I can't believe that I've wasted so much time copying files to a USB flash drive to transfer them to my laptop when you already had Samba set up to easily accomplish the file transfer over my wifi connection.

Cheers, :D
Jim

Jim1911

Shutdown and Reboot Problems with Dell Inspiron Laptop

#89 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi Kirk,

Fatdog64-521's installation was flawless and all software appears to be working correctly. :D

The only problem that I've had is that Reboot and Shutdown do not work properly from the menu. However, they do set action code because using Ctrl>Alt>Backspace accomplishes the Reboot or Shutdown that was requested.

Cheers,
Jim
Attachments
sys-info-111206.gz
(9.59 KiB) Downloaded 276 times

deniros

lmsensors and libslang for midnight commander (MC)

#90 Post by deniros »

Hi, if anyone interested, I've created pets for fatdog64-521:

lmsensors (for temp monitoring type "sensors" in xterm, or use it in another application)
S-lang, the missing dependency for MidnightCommander, namely slang (libslang.so.2 was the missing dep)
Tint2 + imlib2 (imlib2 is needed for tint2)
sylpheed

they can be downloaded here: http://www.pupsys.net/FILES/Fatdog64/Fatdog64-521-PETS/

papos

#91 Post by papos »

Thank you for this speedy puppy that use the programs I love!
this resolve some problem on my hp pavilion g7: detection of sd card, audio, wireless drivers, just have to add in root/startup #numlockx on.

Code: Select all

The devx file is unchanged since 520, it's just been renamed for 521.

but where can I found the devx file it is not in http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... atdog/web/ ?
merry Christmas

CatDude

#92 Post by CatDude »

Hello papos
papos wrote:.....

Code: Select all

The devx file is unchanged since 520, it's just been renamed for 521.

but where can I found the devx file it is not in http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... atdog/web/ ?
merry Christmas
You have been looking in the wrong place. :roll:

You can get it from either of the following links. (the first one is usually a lot faster :wink: :wink: ) CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

papos

#93 Post by papos »

Thank you
I have some problems with transcoder 0.0.5 include in fatdog, i download transcoder_0.0.6 who seems to work good
http://sourceforge.net/projects/transco ... b/download
very nice actual version

Eathray

Testimonial

#94 Post by Eathray »

kirk and jamesbond,

landlord's machine dumped the harddrive (shop environment, dust). I found him a 16gig flash drive and stuck fatdog on it for him...

All I hear from him is what an improvement your work is over Vista. Thought you might like to know. He's one of those who never heard of Linux before and didn't know there was an alternative to Windoze.

Keep up the great work. :)

Eathray

Barkingmad

#95 Post by Barkingmad »

Hello

I've been using Fatdog 521 on-and-off for a time now and it runs great on my Pentium D so I thought I would try the benchmarks in Hardinfo so as to compare with the results I get with other Puppies.

The results displayed for all but one are "rubbish" so there must be some problem. Should I put it on Kirk's bug tracker, list the details here or try to report it to the Hardinfo team - I think there is a link in the Hardinfo menus?

Thanks for any input.

Will

papos

#96 Post by papos »

I have just some trouble with wine-1.3.25-i486.sfs
i control the md5 but i have this message
# wine
bash: /usr/bin/wine: No such file or directory
as i have a wine file in usr/bin/wine of 6888 B
wat's wrong?

Happy to find a working Adjust touchpad flSynclient for my laptop just for desactivate it, touchpad mode off!

oldroy

Firefox updates

#97 Post by oldroy »

Just wondering..

I can install Firefox updates on my Debian linux box the old fashioned way, i.e. unzipping from a tarball in order to install the latest version.

Would this work for Fatdog64? Or would everything just get lost on rebooting?

kirk

#98 Post by kirk »

Barkingmad,

Hardinfo was development version at the time and does have some problems. I thought it was better overall so I went with it over the stable version. I think the stable Hardinfo only used one core for benchmarks. But I haven't checked for a while.

papos,

Make sure you have the fd64-32bit-libs-6.sfs installed too. Wine is 32bit only.

oldroy,

You can probably use the tarball from Mozilla, but I think you'll need the dbus pet installed, they depended on that the last time I tried. Or if you want to build from source (which takes a while) here's how I configure:

./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-dbus --disable-hal --disable-crashreporter --enable-strip --enable-application=browser --disable-libnotify

Barkingmad

#99 Post by Barkingmad »

Thanks Kirk.

I thought I should report this somewhere in case it wasn't known about. I can give more details if you (or anyone else) would find them useful -- is there a hardinfo project page anywhere? I suppose that would be the place?

Thanks for the responce.

Will

gcmartin

#100 Post by gcmartin »

Kirk wrote:Hardinfo was development version at the time and does have some problems. I thought it was better overall so I went with it over the stable version.
This is a very useful upgrade to the FATDOG distro. I don't know how many others discovered what happens when they click on "Computer". And, there are other subtle additions in Hardinfo as well.

Question
Is there any formal path you are taking or that you want us to take with the issues we find in this Hardinfo version to make it easy for you to provide the developer some feedback? How can we help

Hope this helps
P.S. See the PM