Next Puppy 5.0.2 29 September 2011

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Norbertos

#481 Post by Norbertos »

Sorry, but I wasn't able to understand how can I install pet in Next.
If I download that certain emelfm2.pet package, I cannot extract that with Xarchiver. (In emelfm2 -> "Open with" -> "petget" won't open any pets for me !)

Shep

#482 Post by Shep »

Norbertos wrote:Sorry, but I wasn't able to understand how can I install pet in Next.
If I download that certain emelfm2.pet package, I cannot extract that with Xarchiver. (In emelfm2 -> "Open with" -> "petget" won't open any pets for me !)
Hi Norbertos! The half dozen posts preceding yours seem to be saying there is a bug in the tar utility in Next Puppy, and this prevents installing pets by the usual method. You can copy a tar utility from another puppy (Exprimo), or you can untar your .pet file on a different puppy and copy all the resulting files across to Next Puppy.

You're posting count implies you are a newcomer to Puppy linux. Welcome! Are you sure that Next Puppy is what you wish to try? It seems to have been an experimental/test bed, and development is now abandoned, so you might experience endless frustration when encountering even minor bugs.

For newcomers, I suggest that you look at either Exprimo, or Slacko. Here's a link to their threads: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72805
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70399

Can I ask what spec pc are you wanting to try linux on? If your first experience with puppy linux is relatively bug-free, you might be a much happier customer and decide to stay around. 8)

Norbertos

#483 Post by Norbertos »

Shep, thanks for patience !
I'm not a starter, I'm using different puplets for one year. :D
I was looking for a FULL minimal memory-eating puplet ! And I liked this Puplet. I found it great !
Thanks for the advice, sorry for inconvinience !
[huh, and thanks for damn fast reply !]

Anyway, my specs are:

3 GHz, Pentium 4
512 MB DDR1 RAM
64 MB Intel Integrated Graphics

Maybe, it's very strong - compared to P1s, and so on - (what Puppy designed for, mainly), but I found this machine a lil' bit weak. :S

PS.: And don't worry ! I will stay with Puppy. :P

Shep

#484 Post by Shep »

Norbertos wrote: I was looking for a FULL minimal memory-eating puplet !
Every puppy is economical with memory. Have you learned that you can give the OS your whole 512 MB, so you'll nearly double available RAM, if at boot you hit <F2> and type puppy pfix=nocopy

Another way to make puppy occupy less RAM is to make your save file smaller, say 256 MB instead of the usual 512 MB. When squashed and loaded into RAM, this will leave more room to run applications. Instead of installing extra apps into the savefile, you can move them onto your HD where they are outside the save file. Sure, they may take a moment longer to start up, but I think you'll hardly notice that.
And I liked this Puplet. I found it great !
The developer has a satisfied customer. :)
Anyway, my specs are:

3 GHz, Pentium 4
512 MB DDR1 RAM
64 MB Intel Integrated Graphics

Maybe, it's very strong - compared to P1s, and so on - (what Puppy designed for, mainly), but I found this machine a lil' bit weak. :S
3GHZ! What applications are you using where you find it a bit slow? Are you sure your tasks are not forcing it to swap a lot to the HD? Perhaps the nocopy boot option will mean there is less swapping to HD.

I think you should make more posts. :wink: So that others can benefit from your experience with Iguleder's pup.

greengeek

#485 Post by greengeek »

Is this pup still available? The links on P1 seem dead.

Shep

#486 Post by Shep »

greengeek wrote:Is this pup still available? The links on P1 seem dead.
I can´t say. But I read that Iguleder's Guy Dog is the direct descendant of Next Puppy.

Gnuxo

#487 Post by Gnuxo »

Yes but wasn't Guy Dog's development also abandoned?
It appears to be a sad trend.

Shep

#488 Post by Shep »

Gnuxo wrote:Yes but wasn't Guy Dog's development also abandoned?
It appears to be a sad trend.
Well, yes, sure, but right from the start we were told this was to be Iguleder's plaything and he never intended to take it to a release version. It was more a case of him sharing his experiments with those who would appreciate such (and probably give him some help along the way).

Anyway, I believe that much of his work in these experimental developments has been carried on into later puppies, so in that sense it hasn't really been abandoned, but rather continued on in another pup. :)

You can't hold creative minds to a schedule.

Max Headroom

G'day Iguleder, Request Please libwnck-2.30.7 Pet, Thanx!

#489 Post by Max Headroom »

G'day Iguleder, Request Please libwnck-2.30.7 Pet, Thanx!
:)K

darry1966

#490 Post by darry1966 »

hamoudoudou

iguleder site dead ?

#491 Post by hamoudoudou »

Ah thanks for the link ! No this one does not have interest for me. Sorry for disturb.