2.14x
29%
Other: 2.14x only
32%

Total votes: 38

snayak

#4681 Post by snayak »

ttuuxxx wrote:
snayak wrote:Whether virtual box for classic pup is available anywhere?
The latest link is always on page 1 of this thread :)
ttuuxxx
I am sorry that I didn't find any link for virtualbox for classic pup in page 1 or other.

Can anybody know if it is placed anywhere?

Sincerely,
Srinivas
[Precise 571 on AMD Athlon XP 2000+ with 512MB RAM]
[Fatdog 720 on Intel Pentium B960 with 4GB RAM]

[url]http://srinivas-nayak.blogspot.com/[/url]

loubapache

#4682 Post by loubapache »

ttuuxxx wrote:Here's the latest google chrome 24mb pet
http://www.smokey01.com/ttuuxxx/2.14X/S ... p-214X.pet
and the locales
http://www.smokey01.com/ttuuxxx/2.14X/S ... ocales.pet
ttuuxxx
First time tring out 2.14x (top9) and Google Chrome is the first thing I tried to install. Immediately libgcrypt.so.11 is missing.

Also try to install Gimp from the PPM, again another lib and gtk+ were missing.

I am sure there are ways to fix them but I just booted from the CD and tried to install a few tings that are for 2.14x.

Is there anything that should be installed? Or can that be included in the iso?

Thanks,

Hugh

#4683 Post by Hugh »

Booted TOP9 from CD and had forgotten how
it tenaciously grabs any likely save file to use
from the hard drives. As a consequence the
save file it used was corrupted and rendered
useless but still mountable from other puppies.
I was able to extract everything I needed so it
was just an inconvenience.

Is there any way to keep 214X from aggressively
using any save file it thinks is appropriate at
first boot (other than pfix=ram [F2 Option] which
whizzes by rather quickly?)

It would be nice if PWGET was replaced with
PWSGET to enable the ease of secure downloads
where Login and Password are needed.

Otherwise TOP9 looked good - I'll devote more
time to walking it in the near future to see if there
are any quirks. Many thanks ttuuxxx!
Various Old Computers 100MHz - 1.9GHz
First Puppy: 2.00 Presently: TahrPup 6.0.3
HDD Filesystem: FAT32/ext3; Frugal Always

Dewbie

#4684 Post by Dewbie »

Hugh wrote:
Is there any way to keep 214X from aggressively using any save file it thinks is appropriate at first boot (other than pfix=ram [F2 Option] which whizzes by rather quickly?)
I have the same problem.
Before booting to 2.14x save file, I boot to pfix=ram, then temporarily rename the other save files--from .2fs or .3fs to .doc. Then 2.14x doesn't see them.

kenbanistu

Firefox and Gxine won't run

#4685 Post by kenbanistu »

I downloaded and did a full install of Top9 and I am having a couple of problems. Firefox won't run, and Gxine won't run. I have tried running both from the terminal to see if I get any error messages. The only message I get is "Illegal Instruction". With Gxine there is a jump in cpu usage for a second or two, but then it drops back down and the words "Illegal Instruction" appear in the terminal window. It's as if gxine tries to run but then does something "illegal" and gets shut down.

At the moment, it doesn't matter if Firefox runs or not because 214x top9 doesn't see my modem. Are there any plans to add any more modem drivers? Maybe add all the ones puppy 4.3.1 has? I say that because puppy 4.3.1 sees my modem ok. It is what I am running now as I post this.

If it will help, I am running a Compaq 7470 with 192 megs of ram. The hard drive has a 1 gig swap partition on it. The rest of the 30gig hard drive is divided into two partitions. There is a full intsall of puppy 431retro on the first one, and a full install of 214x top 9 on the other.

--Ken

ttuuxxx

Re: Firefox and Gxine won't run

#4686 Post by ttuuxxx »

kenbanistu wrote:I downloaded and did a full install of Top9 and I am having a couple of problems. Firefox won't run, and Gxine won't run. I have tried running both from the terminal to see if I get any error messages. The only message I get is "Illegal Instruction". With Gxine there is a jump in cpu usage for a second or two, but then it drops back down and the words "Illegal Instruction" appear in the terminal window. It's as if gxine tries to run but then does something "illegal" and gets shut down.

At the moment, it doesn't matter if Firefox runs or not because 214x top9 doesn't see my modem. Are there any plans to add any more modem drivers? Maybe add all the ones puppy 4.3.1 has? I say that because puppy 4.3.1 sees my modem ok. It is what I am running now as I post this.

If it will help, I am running a Compaq 7470 with 192 megs of ram. The hard drive has a 1 gig swap partition on it. The rest of the 30gig hard drive is divided into two partitions. There is a full intsall of puppy 431retro on the first one, and a full install of 214x top 9 on the other.

--Ken
this is very strange, please run gxine and firefox from the the terminal and report any messages, which modem are you using? also please report any errors in /tmp/xerrs.log
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

kenbanistu

#4687 Post by kenbanistu »

ttuuxxx wrote:
kenbanistu wrote:I downloaded and did a full install of Top9 and I am having a couple of problems. Firefox won't run, and Gxine won't run. I have tried running both from the terminal to see if I get any error messages. The only message I get is "Illegal Instruction". With Gxine there is a jump in cpu usage for a second or two, but then it drops back down and the words "Illegal Instruction" appear in the terminal window. It's as if gxine tries to run but then does something "illegal" and gets shut down.

--Ken
this is very strange, please run gxine and firefox from the the terminal and report any messages, which modem are you using? also please report any errors in /tmp/xerrs.log
ttuuxxx
As my original post stated, when I run Gxine or Firefox from the terminal I get the message "Illegal Instruction". That is the only message I get. I will have to reboot and run top9 before I can check the xerrs.log. I will post again after I do this.

My modem is a HSP56 Micromodem.

Firefox and Gxine aren't compiled for a i686, are they? I have seen the teminal message "Illegal Instruction" before with stuff that was compiled for a i686. This computer is almost 12 years old now. It doesn't have a i686 cpu. I think it's a 586, or what ever an AMD k6-2 is.

--Ken

kenbanistu

#4688 Post by kenbanistu »

Ok, here is what's in the xerrs.log file:

Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/, removing from list!
killall: HotPup.sh: no process killed

2027: old priority 0, new priority 19
cups: restarted scheduler.
/root/Startup-Metacity-apps/gatotray: Can't open /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THxx/temperature: No such file or directory
/root/Startup-Metacity-apps/gatotray: Can't get scaling frequencies: No such file or directory
xscreensaver: 23:37:22: locking is disabled (not compiled with locking support).
Window manager warning: last_focus_time (1315105422) is greater than comparison timestamp (1286318738). This most likely represents a buggy client sending inaccurate timestamps in messages such as _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW. Trying to work around...
Window manager warning: last_user_time (1315105422) is greater than comparison timestamp (1286318738). This most likely represents a buggy client sending inaccurate timestamps in messages such as _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW. Trying to work around...
WaitForSomething(): select: errno=11

sheldonisaac

#4689 Post by sheldonisaac »

Some snipping.
ttuuxxx wrote:
--Ken
ttuuxxx
Just possibly this may be of use.
(2.14X-TOP9 frugal)

When I run firefox from the mrxvt terminal, I immediately get "Illegal instruction". And nothing is added onto /tmp/xerrs.log.

When I run gxine from the terminal, it takes about 8 seconds for the "Illegal instruction". And nothing is added onto /tmp/xerrs.log.

Colonel Panic

#4690 Post by Colonel Panic »

Still using 214X Top 9, it's great. My only request for 10 would be for more modern versions of Gnumeric (which have options to autofit the column width), and perhaps Abiword too, which can open later Open Office or Word files than Top 9 can - would that be possible?

Apart from that, I'm looking forward to Top 10 but happy with Top 9 for the time being. Thanks ttuuxxx.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

p310don

#4691 Post by p310don »

Torrent for download of top9

Unzip and open torrent file in your torrent handler of choice.
Attachments
214X-top9.zip
(40.53 KiB) Downloaded 592 times

PenguinPupLin

Pup214X-Top9 boot up problem

#4692 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Sorry if this question has been asked before(such a long thread). I frugal installed 2.14X-Top9 in addition to Slacko 513 and Lighthouse Puppy 503g but was unable to boot into it, the screen stops at " init is the parent of all processes". Adding pfix=ram doesn't solve the problem. Any help appreciated.

MinHundHettePerro

#4693 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Hello :)!
You need to add root=/dev/ram0 to your kernel line:

Code: Select all

kernel /puppy_214X-top9/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0
HTH :)/ MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

PenguinPupLin

#4694 Post by PenguinPupLin »

MinHundHettePerro wrote:Hello :)!
You need to add root=/dev/ram0 to your kernel line:

Code: Select all

kernel /puppy_214X-top9/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0
HTH :)/ MHHP
Yup,it works both for my desktop and Acer travelmate TM630 notebook,thanks so much. For my notebk, the wireless cardbus adapter DLink DWL-G630 isn't recognized as ra0 and scanning shows no network available. Sorry to trouble you again. Another thing is xorg failed and am forced to run xvesa. My notebk(from 2002) specs are Pentium 4 1.6GHz,512 MB RAM, onboard graphics NVidia Geforce2go on 16MB shared memory, 80GB harddisk, running OS WinXP SP3.
Oh,another thing for my desktop,RAM mode worked fine,then I created a pupsave file and reboot in frugal install but web browser failed to find server/load page even though my wireless adapter was connected apparently(except the network status info not working) - I suspect it's due to my IP server limitation, max 6 connections which I exceeded.

PenguinPupLin

Installed SeaMonkey pet in 214X

#4695 Post by PenguinPupLin »

I've just downloaded the Seamonkey-2.3.3.pet from wisdom-seekers.com and used Rox-filer to installed it in 214X-TOP and then rebooted the PC but it still fails to work when I click the menu icon. What's missing or done wrongly? Please help.

Dewbie

#4696 Post by Dewbie »

PenguinPupLin wrote:
I've just downloaded the Seamonkey-2.3.3.pet from wisdom-seekers.com and used Rox-filer to installed it in 214X-TOP and then rebooted the PC but it still fails to work when I click the menu icon. What's missing or done wrongly? Please help.
I installed an official SeaMonkey build after experiencing the same problems.
Instructions are here.
(You might want to go to SeaMonkey's website and select a newer version.)

sullysat

#4697 Post by sullysat »

Okay so two so far have had problems with this package. Anyone else?

I'm guessing it just doesn't work right with the latest version for some reason.. ttuuxxx?

If necessary I'll take this one down.

Sully
Puppy Files Mirror - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy.html[/url][/b]
Classic Puppy Page - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy214x.html[/url][/b]

Dewbie

#4698 Post by Dewbie »

I had the exact same problem/terminal error with SeaMonkey 1.1.16.pet, which was posted quite a while ago.
(For the record, I have Classic Pup 2.14xRC5, which came out a few months after 1.1.16.)

tempestuous

#4699 Post by tempestuous »

PenguinPupLin wrote:the wireless cardbus adapter DLink DWL-G630 isn't recognized as ra0
PenguinPupLin, be careful about your use of the work "recognised". If you can see "ra0" listed in the Network Wizard, this means that a valid wifi interface has been created, so your wifi device is definitely recognised.
Whether this wifi device functions properly in Puppy is a separate issue.
PenguinPupLin wrote:scanning shows no network available.
Again, if you initiate scanning, it means you have a basic level of wifi functionality. "Recognition" is not the problem.
What model of wifi router do you have? What is its SSID (identifier)? What type of encryption have you set on this router - none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2?
I see this in one of your other posts on this forum -
PenguinPupLin wrote:My wireless pcmcia adapter,DLink DWL-G630, is not detected(no modem available)
If you see reference to the word "modem" you're using the wrong section of the Network Wizard. Wifi devices are seen by Puppy as network interfaces, not modems.
Do you really have a wifi router at all?? Could you be mistaking a wireless internet service (such as 3G) for wifi?

And from another of your forum posts -
PenguinPupLin wrote:web browser failed to find server/load page even though my wireless adapter was connected apparently(except the network status info not working) - I suspect it's due to my IP server limitation, max 6 connections which I exceeded.
Your internet service provider has no way of knowing how many (local) wifi connections you have. They give you a single connection - this is your WAN. You distribute that connection locally on your LAN, with as many clients (wired/wifi) as you choose.
Do you really have a wifi router?

PenguinPupLin

#4700 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Thanks for yr response. I do hv a wireless router,ZyXEL NBG-417N,set to wpa2,the other PCs' wireless connections are working fine. Even this pcmcia wireless adapter DWL-G630 is working alrigth with WinXP and Quickset Wary511Puppy on the same acer travelmate TM630 notebk. Indeed,under 214X,the wireless interface shows ra0,unknown driver,and clicking "scan" shows no network available,testing ra0 shows no modem detected. I actually tried to load the ndiswrapper and auto-configure the available modules provided by zdr sfs but none recognised the interface. I also did pccardctl ident and it shows only the onboard o2micro smartcard,not the DLink DWL-G630 pcmcia wireless adapter. My ISP provider confirmed the 6 connections limitation,so what I did is to reset it by power-cycle the router and Motorola modem provided by the ISP - sometimes that works whenever I add a new connection but not in this case for the DLink DWL-G630. Sorry to trouble you so much, I really appreciate it,and it has been a learning process for me,esp with regard to Puppy Linux and its variants. It's thanks to ppl like you all that we could revive a 10-yr-old notebk that would probably either be discarded or lying around somewhere to rot.