1.0.3 says my ethernet cable is unplugged - OK with 1.0.2

Booting, installing, newbie
theelf

1.0.3 says my ethernet cable is unplugged - OK with 1.0.2

#1 Post by theelf »

Puppy 1.0.3 has decided that my network cable is unpluged. I have two machines that have the same mb, video card, ram, ethernet card (3com 3C905B) sound card and CPU. The only thing different is the drives and monitors. Network connected via a Zoom router/dsl modem. I am still able to connect to the internet with other OSs on both machines but Puppy says that my ethernet cable on one machine is unpluged

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

Did the wizard identify your ethernet card correctly.

theelf

#3 Post by theelf »

Yes it was identified correctly and had been working until this morning when I get a message on bootup that the ethernet cable is unpluged. It works fine in Win98SE, Win2K, WinXP, BeOS, and PCLinuxOS. Puppy is the only place I'm getting this error.

theelf

#4 Post by theelf »

Reinstalled 1.0.2 - problem solved. Seems to be a bug with 1.0.3 maybe it will get fixed in 1.0.4

Lobster
Official Crustacean

The Puppy woofs

#5 Post by Lobster »

Not really a bug - Puppy 1.0.2 uses the 2.6 Linux kernel which is 30% faster on some machines (mine for example) and supports more hardware (yours for example)

1.0.4 will have better hardware support but it will be using the more stable 2.4 kernel (1.0.2 used 2.6 as an experiment)

From what I know we will eventually be moving to the later kernel, however not yet (no need - 2.4 is still in active development)

Barrys aim as I understand it it is to make Puppy work with either kernel (which of course bodes well for future upgrades)

Hope that makes sense :)

If you have the broadband and CD-RW's ready then by all means try 1.0.4 (available within the next 9 days) and tell us if it works . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

theelf

#6 Post by theelf »

Not really a bug - Puppy 1.0.2 uses the 2.6 Linux kernel which is 30% faster on some machines (mine for example) and supports more hardware (yours for example)
My ethernet card was working before and still does on my other machine which has most all the same hardware including ethernet cards using 1.0.3

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Description of situation

#7 Post by Lobster »

Yes indeed

but as I say different hardware is supported in 1.0.2 to 1.0.3
Not everything that works with 1.0.2 will work with 1.0.3

Your natural assumption is that if it works in 1.0.2 it must and should work in 1.0.3
- not necessarily
- your situation proves that
(though ideally that would be so)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

theelf

#8 Post by theelf »

It was working in 1.0.3 until yesterday as I said in the original post.