Fatdog64-521 (October 12, 2011)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
gcmartin

Problems with a Wireless MB feature on a HP Touchsmart

#101 Post by gcmartin »

Saw this:
kirk wrote:If your having problems with one of these wifi devices: ... You may have to blacklist or delete any rt2x00 drivers that claim this device, supposedly the rt2x00 drivers support it.
Questions
  1. How do I blacklist the drivers?
  2. Is this a boot-time or a run-time effort?
  3. Does the RTnnnn PET do this for me?
  4. Will that PET work on FATDOG V5.21?
Thanks in advnace

Aitch

#102 Post by Aitch »

inxi seems to get recommended, too, as being slightly more informative than hardinfo...untested, by me, though

http://code.google.com/p/inxi/

Aitch :)

Hans

vlc-1.1.11 pet

#103 Post by Hans »

Hi there, I am trying to get the srt subs to work but I am stuck. I know it is/was an issue and the solution used to be changing font, but that does not work for me.

I also tested vlc-1.1.7 in lucid 526, and the srt shows fine. I compared the settings, and darn, no differences, except that the video plays in 'hardware yuv sdl output' , whatever that means. Don't know if this matters.

Any suggestions?

cheers,
Hans

Aitch

#104 Post by Aitch »

Hans
Some DVDs don't have srt files attached

see http://sourceforge.net/projects/dvdstyl ... ic/4414213

http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=76811

Else check settings

Hans

vlc-1.1.11 pet

#105 Post by Hans »

Hello Aitch, thanks for the reply

It's not about dvd's , in fact, it is an mpeg-4 tutorial I captured on how to learn linux for it-support in our windoze based university. Yeah, I am not pullin' y're leg. No linux knowledge due to a decade of windoze.
Nowadays with all those tablets the windoze-reign has cracked a bit you see, and what better to use for learning linux than the os that was brought to life for this sole purpose? All honour to Barry of course.

And one of our collegues can't hear a thing so I made a test .srt. It works well, with xine under fatdog and under windoze-vlc as well so no problem there, it's just the 1.1.11-version. And I compared the settings, and I can't make out the difference.

Tried it yourself? Like to know if I am the only one.
I tried to install the fatdog-vlc-1.1.7-x84-64-pet version but stumbled on missing qt libraries. But that would be logical if assuming that the new 1.1.11 version is the replacement?

Oh, the videolan forum link is about the mozilla plugin, I don't use that.

cheers,
Hans

gcmartin

#106 Post by gcmartin »

@Hans. You may want to post your .srt so that we can test.

Hope this helps

Hans

vlc-1.1.11 pet

#107 Post by Hans »

Thanks for the help gcmartin,

Attached is the srt of the first tutorial, in fact, it is a downloaded srt from 'back to the future II ' and I filled it with my own text later on after I tested it, same result though. And as I found out later it does not matter, an srt kan be a simple text file renamed to 'same-name-as-mpeg.srt', placed in the same folder as the mpeg.

Works well in all but 1.1.11

I hope you find the culprit!

cheers,
Hans
Attachments
01-Wat gaan we doen.png
rename to '01-Wat gaan we doen.srt' due to extension restrictions of the forum
(3.21 KiB) Downloaded 464 times

rerwin

Request for usb_modeswitcher

#108 Post by rerwin »

I have discovered a request in the beginner's forum for the usb_modeswitch utility for hybrid USB modems. I have a package ready to go for 32-bit puppies, but I gather that it should not be used in the 64-bit environment. Since I do not yet have a 64-bit PC to work on, could someone in this thread compile it and make it into a dotpet package? I see that the instructions are already provided by fatdog.

The source package is here:
http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswit ... .1.tar.bz2

The data package for it is here:
http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswit ... 23.tar.bz2

To compile the modeswitcher, the only command needed is:
new2dir make install
From inside the source package. Then use dir2pet to create the package. To keep the naming clean, before running dir2pet, change the source directory name to append "-src" and change the generated directory name to match the original name of the source package.

Do the same with the data package, although nothing in it is actually compiled, just installed.

Thanks.
Richard

mikeslr

Belated Thank You Billtoo for Wbar

#109 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All, and especially Billtoo:

Thanks Billtoo for the wbar pet. I especially appreciate that it included a config icon and routine for easily installing my own favorite programs. I think your wbar enables giving Fatdog a very "business-like" appearance by reducing desktop clutter. I've enclosed a screenie as an example.

Billtoo's wbar and required imlib2-1.4.5-x86_64 pets can be found here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 815#573815.

Just a couple of notes to help those interested. When first installed, wbar did not link to fonts on my system nor have a menu entry. I tried to start wbar from the terminal, which is how I discovered the absence of the link to fonts. So I called up rox and browsed to and clicked /usr/bin/wbar, which started it. I then opened another rox window to ~/Startup and created a symlink as I would want wbar to start immediately and also didn't want to take the time to create a desktop-file/menu entry.. With wbar now on my desktop, I clicked the config icon, and then the preferences tab.Noticing that the fonts designation had not been made, I clicked its browse button and set it to one of the fonts at /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF.

Although I'm a big fan of Openbox/fbpanel, especially with DaveS' Launcher pet, I've noticed fbpanel and launcher sometimes have difficulty with applications "installed" to mnt/home, even when a script to call them is created in /my-applications/bin. Wbar doesn't. What's especially handy about the config routine you created are that in installing new icons/apps into it, the icons used can be defined by dragging & dropping them from any opened window, and it is sufficient to define the command to call the application by its name if typing that name into a terminal would start the application.

One last thing: "Happy New Year" everyone.

mikesLr
Attachments
mydesktop.jpg
(116.79 KiB) Downloaded 548 times

Aitch

#110 Post by Aitch »

mikeslr

I see you like a partition or 2, then?... :wink:

Aung

#111 Post by Aung »

@ rerwin, first hurdle

./usb_modeswitch_dispatcher /usr/bin/tclsh: bad interpreter

Aung

Avidemux, Roxterm pets

#112 Post by Aung »

Has anyone ever made Roxterm and Avidemux for Fatdog.

rerwin

#113 Post by rerwin »

Aung,
Thanks for working on usb_modeswitch. Maybe we can resolve the interpreter problem. First, check for a tcl interpreter in fatdog64. I assume none is there. To find out, enter:
which tclsh

Assuming there is none, please compile the "Jim" mini tcl interpreter used in puppy. I found it in the puppy source repository:
http://bkhome.org/sources/alphabetical/ ... .63.tar.gz
(puppy, linux).

From its readme file I see that to compile it ready for creation of a dotpet requires only this:

Code: Select all

./configure
new2dir make
Let's hope that is all it takes to get going.
Richard

Aung

#114 Post by Aung »

@rerwin, ,needed tcl as well as jimsh, used ubuntu .deb's. It maybe 'switching', the CD icon dont appear on the desktop. But there is nothing in resolv.conf and no connection. Cant show you 'pupdial' started from a terminal untill I have Roxterm. Here is a small bit from xterm, ./pupdial : line 483 4655 terminated
strange thing, 4655 is my area code.
Aung

ttyUSB1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- OK
ttyUSB1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 Z -- OK
ttyUSB1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 -- OK
ttyUSB1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 -- OK
ttyUSB1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 -- OK
ttyUSB1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 -- OK
ttyUSB1<*1>: Modem Identifier: ATI -- Manufacturer: TCT Mobile International Limited
ttyUSB1<*1>: Speed 9600: AT -- OK
ttyUSB1<*1>: Max speed is 9600; that should be safe.
ttyUSB1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 -- OK
ttyUSB2<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- OK
ttyUSB2<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 Z -- OK
ttyUSB2<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 -- OK
ttyUSB2<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 -- OK
ttyUSB2<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 -- OK
ttyUSB2<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 -- OK
ttyUSB2<*1>: Modem Identifier: ATI -- Manufacturer: TCT Mobile International Limited
ttyUSB2<*1>: Speed 9600: AT -- OK
ttyUSB2<*1>: Max speed is 9600; that should be safe.
ttyUSB2<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 -- OK
===============
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Sending: AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","dodolns1"
AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","dodolns1"
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Configuration does not specify a valid login name.
--> Configuration does not specify a valid password.
==========g
Last edited by Aung on Sun 01 Jan 2012, 12:19, edited 1 time in total.

Hans

term copy paste

#115 Post by Hans »

Aung wrote:I cant copy from Fatdog terminal into Geany or Leafpad, whats the trick. shift + insert dont work. Bacly needing Roxterm!! Aung
from geany to term shift + insert does work
from term to geany shift + insert does not work

default under linux:
-markup text and click middle mouse button, works both ways and is very comfortable to work with.

The shift + insert combination is new to me and I also would like to now if there is an alternate command for 'term to geany'.
On a laptop you have to click both mouse buttons simultaniously and that works a bit awkward. Anyone?

Aung

#116 Post by Aung »

@ Hans, hello,
clicking left and right buttons together doesnt make it happen (xterm to geaney) I an sure it used to work in previous Fatdogs. Is there some thing in xorg conf, mouse, that can be changed to fix it. (to emulate middle mouse button, I have a track ball) Aung

Hans

copy from/to term

#117 Post by Hans »

Hello Aung, that's weird, I've been through allmost all fatdog-releases(full-install) and was allways able to use the touchpad-buttons of my laptop to copy from/to term.

And for the trackball...never owned one so no experience on that, sorry.

rerwin

#118 Post by rerwin »

Aung,
--> Modem initialized.
--> Configuration does not specify a valid login name.
--> Configuration does not specify a valid password.
Do you have "Stupid Mode" selected? That should prevent pupdial from using the logon and password.
needed tcl as well as jimsh, used ubuntu .deb's
Jimsh is a cut-down, simplified version of the tcl interpreter. So you should not need the full tcl. You can use either one. But installing both could confuse things, since they are both "tclsh".
Richard

Aung

#119 Post by Aung »

@rerwin
Do you have "Stupid Mode" selected?
Yes, it seams that message is caused by clearing the username and password.
I have tclsh sorted, yes, dont need tcl, but need a short cut from jimsh in usr/sbin to usr/bin then rename to jimsh.
Here is the quirkiest quirk of all quirks, if I unplug the usb modem then replug the modem it wont switch. Have to load XP and load its program, no need to go on the net, unload the program, turn off the modem from the tray properly, then the modem will switch properly in Fatdog.
Now all I need is etc/resolv.conf to do its job. I know from fooling with Puppy 421 that I wont go nowhere until that is 'resolved'. Aung

rerwin

#120 Post by rerwin »

Aung wrote:Here is the quirkiest quirk of all quirks, if I unplug the usb modem then replug the modem it wont switch. Have to load XP and load its program, no need to go on the net, unload the program, turn off the modem from the tray properly, then the modem will switch properly in Fatdog.
Now all I need is etc/resolv.conf to do its job. I know from fooling with Puppy 421 that I wont go nowhere until that is 'resolved'.
I do not know what version of the "hotplug" function is in fatdog. Maybe it is not doing its job. Rebooting with the modem plugged in, though, should trigger the mode switching. And pupdial should handle the setting of /etc/resolv.conf.

I plan to acquire a low-end 64-bit PC soon, so that I can troubleshoot fatdog.
Richard