Razor-qt - Desktop

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
2XL

Razor-qt - Desktop

#1 Post by 2XL »

http://razor-qt.org/

I think this would be great for a Pupplet. Very small and fast. Basically KDE minus the "KDE".

What say you?

scsijon

#2 Post by scsijon »

noted,

will build & pet

may be just what I want as a 'minimalistic' desktop for qtpuppy

thanks

scsijon

sc0ttman

#3 Post by sc0ttman »

Yes that looks promising, I wanna try it... Not that I would ever use it myself, but it does look like it might be a nice choice for those who like 'bling' (IMHO)..
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

scsijon

#4 Post by scsijon »

just an update on where I am.

Has a few dependancies we don't have in puppy, still sorting out one, which is giving problems as their seems too many builds that are different.

It is only a desktop and not a desktop/wimdowmanager, it sits nicely on openbox or eggwm but should sit on most wm's.

uses xdg for it's menu and uses the same format as we already use, so that's ok, had separated apps and settings, I do like that actually!, desktops can be 'individually styled'.

will build again next week and see if it's worth 'pet'ting as what I did last time was not.

merry christmas to all

Eyes-Only

#5 Post by Eyes-Only »

This looks fascinating Jon and I may likewise be interested in trying this as well. Looks to be a very slick DE, especially when used in conjunction with Openbox, which I do have already installed in my frugal install of Lucid-528 by the way.

Hmm... come to think of it, I've also got a KDE-4.x .sfs file installed ( not quite sure of the precise version but I believe it's around 4.6.x and minimal at 336megs ) already in my Lucid-528. I'm wondering whether or not your Razor DE would work upon that? Problem is that I've done a search for the "qt4" directory and have been unable to locate it leaving me to wonder whether the KDE4.sfs was compiled statically with qt4?

I do have a few frugal installs - Slacko-530 and RacyNOP-522, amongst others - where I'm wondering whether or not a clean install of your Razor DE in an .sfs file would work ( containing a separate qt4 directory inside of course ), or if even Razor could be made to work on my hard drive install of Lucid-510 which has the Trinity DE ( KDE-3.5.10 ) hard-installed, so that each desktop could work independently of each other?

All food for thought of course, eh? ;)

Keep up the great work Jon and keep us informed of your progress!

Amicalement/Cheers!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

scsijon

#6 Post by scsijon »

Your qt4 should be in /opt/qt4 and not in /usr/qt4 or /usr/local/qt4.

I've built a new set of qt4 which will have 3 pets only, one with doc's (DOC) http://www.lamiaworks.com.au/puppy/warz ... 4-i386.pet and is more suited for a sfs as it's BIG, one with the demo's and examples files (DEX) http://www.lamiaworks.com.au/puppy/warz ... 4-i386.pet, and one with both the base, dev and nls http://www.lamiaworks.com.au/puppy/warz ... 4-i386.pet, be aware that the last is 110meg installed, but has all the extra extensions such as QtDBus and the like already included.

It's only 4.7.4 but i've found that most other 4.7.4 pets are incomplete as they have either been trimmed down too much or have had parts split off into other pets. I shall build a set of 4.8.0 later, but as razorqt was designed for 4.7.4 it's what I want to start with.

With RazorQt, I still have a problem to solve for puppy, but it's nearly there. Also, it has wm code in it's docs so you should not have many problems to use other windowmanagers.

getting there!

oligin10

Any news?

#7 Post by oligin10 »

Hi guys, just checking to see if any work was being done on this still. Sounds really interesting. Thanks, Rob

scsijon

update on status

#8 Post by scsijon »

update for all:

We are working on the last (I hope) problem with this,
everyone will have to be patient,

The poor package programmer is being so, as he has it working on suse, deb, ubundu and the like without serious problems, it just doesn't want to build on puppy.

I am holding the warz522010 alpha of qtpuppy for another week on the chance that we can get it solved as it is suppose to be available in the build and would become the main desktop with jwm as backup. That's how important it is to me.

I will add notes as it's worth doing so.

regards
scsijon

oligin10

Thanks

#9 Post by oligin10 »

Hi, thanks for the update. No hurry, take your time. I was just interested in it, and checking progress. Thanks for all your hard work, Rob

Eyes-Only

#10 Post by Eyes-Only »

YES! Thanks for the update Jon!!! :D :D 8) 8) Is it rather obvious that I'm a triffle excited here? Others would be as well if they would had have read the VERY glowing review of this done by Jesse Smith on this past Monday's "Distrowatch Weekly". This dev has come up with some truly brilliant ideas and designs for the desktop with Razor - minimal and yet still loaded with GUI options for the tinkerer like myself - and all in a small package!

Truly exciting indeed!!

Again: Thanks for not only keeping us update Jon, but for your patience and diligence in hanging in there with the compiling! People like you help make the bleeding edge of Puppy exciting! 8)

Good Luck!/Bonne Chance!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

EDIT: This is the link to the RazorQT desktop @ "Distrowatch Weekly": http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20120109#qa ENJOY!
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*

scsijon

#11 Post by scsijon »

Pemasu has built a dpup exprimo version for his dpup 'people', it's qt4.8.0 though, not earlier and for openbox. I've asked him to put a url on this topic.

I've at last built a useable T2 version that works on qt4-4.7.4, but I want to rebuild it for a real environment before releasing it as a pet, so a couple of days more!

I shall then try a qt4-4.8.0 version in case that is the problem, but that's next week!

regards

pemasu

#12 Post by pemasu »

My compile is as it is. It is not spesifically openbox. Openbox was the windowmanager which razor-qt recognized. It didnt recognize jwm. Then I just in console launched razor-session and I got razor-qt desktop and panel. My pet is not polished. It is as it is after compiling - installed to the separate directory - petted from there - and tested that the pet actually works. Nothing more.

Used qt-library: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/QT-4.8.0 ... t-dpup.pet

Used qt dev: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/QT-4.8.0 ... t-dpup.pet

Download link to the pet: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/QT-4.8.0-dpup/apps/

Output of set command to show exported qt4 paths:
# set
ACLOCAL_FLAGS=' -I /opt/e17/share/aclocal -I /opt/e17/share/aclocal'
BASH=/bin/bash
BASHOPTS=checkwinsize:cmdhist:expand_aliases:extquote:force_fignore:hostcomplete:interactive_comments:progcomp:promptvars:sourcepath
BASH_ALIASES=()
BASH_ARGC=()
BASH_ARGV=()
BASH_CMDS=()
BASH_LINENO=()
BASH_SOURCE=()
BASH_VERSINFO=([0]="4" [1]="1" [2]="5" [3]="1" [4]="release" [5]="i486-pc-linux-gnu")
BASH_VERSION='4.1.5(1)-release'
COLORFGBG='default;0'
COLORTERM=rxvt
COLUMNS=80
CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH=/opt/qt4/include
DEFAULTBROWSER=firefox
DEFAULTDRAW=mtpaint
DEFAULTHTMLEDITOR=mozedit
DEFAULTIMAGEEDITOR=mtpaint
DEFAULTIMAGEVIEWER=viewnior
DEFAULTMEDIAPLAYER=gnome-mplayer
DEFAULTPAINT=mtpaint
DEFAULTSPREADSHEET=gnumeric
DEFAULTTEXTEDITOR=geany
DEFAULTWORDPROCESSOR=abiword
DIRSTACK=()
DISPLAY=:0.0
EDITOR=mp
EUID=0
E_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/e17
GDK_USE_XFT=1
GROUPS=()
G_FILENAME_ENCODING=@locale
HISTCONTROL=ignoredups
HISTFILE=/root/.history
HISTFILESIZE=2000
HISTSIZE=1000
HOME=/root
HOSTNAME=puppypc26649
HOSTTYPE=i486
IFS=$' \t\n'
INPUTRC=/etc/inputrc
LANG=fi_FI.UTF-8
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/firefox:/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/X11R7/lib:/root/my-applications/lib:/usr/local/lib:/opt/qt4/lib:/opt/e17/lib
LINES=24
LOGNAME=root
MACHTYPE=i486-pc-linux-gnu
MAILCHECK=60
MAKE=make
MM_RUNASROOT=1
MOZ_DISABLE_PANGO=1
MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP=gnome
OPTERR=1
OPTIND=1
OSTYPE=linux-gnu
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R7/bin:/root/my-applications/bin:/usr/games:/opt/qt4/bin:/opt/e17/bin
PIPESTATUS=([0]="0")
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib/pkgconfig::/opt/e17/lib/pkgconfig:
PPID=670
PREFIX=/usr
PS1='# '
PS2='> '
PS4='+ '
PWD=/root
QT4DIR=/opt/qt4
QT_XFT=true
RGBDEF=/usr/share/X11/rgb.txt
SHELL=/bin/bash
SHELLOPTS=braceexpand:emacs:hashall:histexpand:history:interactive-comments:monitor
SHLVL=4
TERM=xterm
UID=0
USER=root
WINDOWID=8388614
WINDOWPATH=4
XDG_CACHE_HOME=/root/.cache
XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg
XDG_CONFIG_HOME=/root/.config
XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/share:/usr/local/share
XDG_DATA_HOME=/root/.local/share
XFINANSDIR=/root/.xfinans
_=/etc/profile
flashvideo ()
{
VID=$(stat -c %N /proc/*/fd/* 2>&1|awk -F[\`\'] '/lash/{print$2}');
mplayer -autosync 30 -mc 2.0 -cache 1000 $VID
}
#

vicmz

#13 Post by vicmz »

Hi :D
Just checking if the idea of making a package of this for Puppy is still on
Looks awesome 8)

muggins

#14 Post by muggins »

vicmz,

check Pemasu's link, in post above your's.

Eyes-Only

#15 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hmm... I tried this in my Slacko-533 Frugal and it booted into the Razor-Qt desktop only once. Thereafter it refused to do so, only booting to a black desktop. Really strange.

The only parameter that I changed was in the .xinitrc file. Where the razor desktop booted up with the ROX pinboard and everything else behind it ( including fbpanel, wallpaper, etc. ), I added this code below the "startkde" code:

Code: Select all

CURRENTWM="`cat /etc/windowmanager`"
if [ "$CURRENTWM" = "razor-session" ];then
 exec razor-session
fi
...as this is the normal way one would start the razor desktop from the prompt screen - well - after first adding "xwin", but in this case we don't add the "xwin" as the code is starting from the "windowmanager" file found in "etc" as other window managers and desktop environments are started.

So who knows for the moment?

Of course I didn't have the time to mess around with it further this morning. Perhaps at a later date I'll have more time to see whether or not I can get it working.

Razor is a beautiful desktop I know that! Very lite-weight as far as Qt-based desktops go and very feature-filled. If given half the chance and with more awareness like lxpanel got I think it would become a VERY popular desktop among users.

My 2 pieces of wampum anyway. lol.

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*

Gnuxo

#16 Post by Gnuxo »

Razor-QT needs a full time window manager. That's the major error.
...And somebody needs to compile an .sfs or pet together with a preinstalled window manager and Razor-QT preconfigured.

I thing Eggwm would be the logical choice because it's qt and very light.
Openbox is used on many puppies but you can't just boot it up from terminal, there actually has to be an actual session change.

...Otherwise errors will keep happening.

`f00

#17 Post by `f00 »

Some wms bring their own 'desktop environment' (afterstep, ede, enlightenment and xfce4 among others), a rox pinboard may or may not be the best solution for a bg/d'n'd (I do roxpin on-demand as it may interfere with a 'normal' startup in some cases, but that's just my pref).

Yah, if it's to be used it seems sensible to start it as Eyes-Only does (good wampum but I'd probably try for something in ~/Startup if possible, especially when there may be conflict with some wms :| )

Early days .. in any case, great that work has been (is being) done. 10Q :)

scsijon

#18 Post by scsijon »

Razor-qt is a desktop only, it has no windowmanager components, therefore needs to 'sit on a windowmanager'. I intend to use qlwm as it's also qt, small footprint and basic, although eggwm should also work even as it's both windowmanager and desktop a few settings may need to be added to get the right modules to start.

Pemasu built a razor-qt for me as I was having too many problems and needed something puppy'd to compare with to work out where the problem was coming from, it was released as an 'as-is' build only. In the end I found the problem was in the 'wary base' and therefore why I have built a mageia 2 puppy.

regards
scsijon

technewz

#19 Post by technewz »

Hello i am a new user and i would like to ask how i can install razor qt

scsijon

#20 Post by scsijon »

Technewz, it's not that easy, so I will ask a few basic questions.

?why do you want to specifically use Razor-qt,
?what puppy are you running,
?do you have the space for qt4 as it's not small,
?what do you plan on using it for, and
?are you able to support it youself after install.

Let me have answers here and i'll see if I can help.