need desktop Copy/Cut & Paste from context menu

Using applications, configuring, problems
nubc

need desktop Copy/Cut & Paste from context menu

#1 Post by nubc »

I'm talking to a Puppy newbie, and he finds the lack of Copy/Cut & Paste functionality in the context menu on desktop to be a dealbreaker. I myself am facing a daunting task of switching out hard drives, and would like this convenient functionality. What are the best alternatives to Wary and Slacko? I am supposing that I simply change the window manager and the issue is solved. Not so?

EDIT: should have said "window manager / file manager"
Last edited by nubc on Tue 03 Jan 2012, 17:31, edited 1 time in total.

Jasper

#2 Post by Jasper »

Hi,

Using Slacko (Wary and Lucid) there has not been a time when I could not Copy/Cut/Paste when I needed to.

Can you please provide a specific and detailed example of your problem, perhaps with a screenshot?

My regards

amigo

#3 Post by amigo »

The thing is that the rox-generated desktop icons are not located in some directory as they are in windows. The rox pinboard(as it is called) is generated from a single file which lists the icons, where they point to, etc. The items are not located in some directory called Desktop -even though you probably have a dir named Desktop.

Tell your friend to imagine that the whole desktop background is a windows 'Quick Launch' bar. Emphasize that he also cannot copy something 'to the dekstop'. Everything there is just a virtual shortcut to some real item. It would be good to explain also, that when right clicking on a desktop icon, the mneu entry 'Remove item' does not delete the item which the icon points to -it only removes that icon from the list of displayed icons. When he needs to acces the real itme pointed to by the icon, then the right-click option 'Show location' is what he needs to use.

nubc

#4 Post by nubc »

That would be a problem: taking a screenshot of a feature that doesn't exist. Instead, I will describe how I perform the Copy/Cut & Paste operation. If I wish to transfer files or folders from one drive to another. I open an instance of Rox filer for each of the two drives. Then I drag a folder from one window (Source) to another (Destination). When my dragging click is released in the destination drive (window), I am prompted with a choice of whether to Copy or Move (Cut) the folder. I make the selection and the folder is transferred. The physical dragging of folders can get quite tedious if there happens to many folders to transfer. With Copy/Cut & Paste from context menu, one right clicks a folder in the Source drive to get a context menu which contains Copy and Cut commands, selects the command, and then clicks inside the window for the Destination drive to get a context menu with the Paste command. To transfer many folders at once, one holds down the Ctrl key while highlighting multiple folders, releases the Ctrl key and right clicks to select Copy or Cut, then right clicks in the Destination window to select Paste from context menu to transfer multiple folders/files.

Jasper

#5 Post by Jasper »

Hi,

You can use Ctrl+a to highlight all files and then drag and drop any one of those highlighted to copy or move or link all of them.

You can select individually and additionally using Ctrl or select all then deselect individually.

My regards

nubc

#6 Post by nubc »

I haven't done it that way. Thanks for the tip. So the only thing missing is an actual context menu, user still has to drag between Rox windows. And I just checked that the destination directory does not have to be open. Will gladly pass this info to my acquaintance.

maik.murks

#7 Post by maik.murks »

nubc wrote:That would be a problem: taking a screenshot of a feature that doesn't exist. Instead, I will describe how I perform the Copy/Cut & Paste operation. If I wish to transfer files or folders from one drive to another. I open an instance of Rox filer for each of the two drives. Then I drag a folder from one window (Source) to another (Destination). When my dragging click is released in the destination drive (window), I am prompted with a choice of whether to Copy or Move (Cut) the folder. I make the selection and the folder is transferred. The physical dragging of folders can get quite tedious if there happens to many folders to transfer. With Copy/Cut & Paste from context menu, one right clicks a folder in the Source drive to get a context menu which contains Copy and Cut commands, selects the command, and then clicks inside the window for the Destination drive to get a context menu with the Paste command. To transfer many folders at once, one holds down the Ctrl key while highlighting multiple folders, releases the Ctrl key and right clicks to select Copy or Cut, then right clicks in the Destination window to select Paste from context menu to transfer multiple folders/files.
Perhaps it could be a good idea to use another filemanager, i.e. Thunar. As far as I know Thunar can do all these right-click thingies you like to have.

Cheers :wink:

Maik.Murks

nubc

#8 Post by nubc »

I don't find Thunar in Wary and Slacko repos. Also, if I install Thunar, how do I make it the default file manager?

technosaurus made a pet, picked up by Barry K, but there seems to be an issue for Wary 5.1.1 re JPG files.
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02224

don570

copy command

#9 Post by don570 »

There is a simple bash command to copy a directory

http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/linuxcommand.org/lts0050.html

Code: Select all

cp -R dir1 dir2
If you're using Slacko you should try
my right click option package

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 003#515003

You can write your own script and make it a right click option
if you are copying to the same folder repeatedly.

Put an icon on the desktop to launch Thunar if you like it.