Install latest SeaMonkey browser in older Puppies

#1 Post by Dewbie »

I've tested the following Puppies with the same computer
(Compaq Deskpro PII / 350MHz):
Classic Pup 2.14X-RC5
Puppy Linux 4.1.2
Puppy Linux 4.3.1
Wary 5.1.1

So results may vary, depending on hardware.

Links to required packages:
SeaMonkey Download & Releases
dbus.pet
dbus-glib.pet
menumaker-1.1.pet by trio
portable-seamonkey2.4.x.zip by Dingo (for older SeaMonkey 2.x)
portable-seamonkey2.12.x.zip by Dingo (for newer SeaMonkey 2.x)

(Note: If the SeaMonkey URL and toolbar fonts look bad, try this.)

The following steps apply to all Puppies:
* Click on SeaMonkey .tar.bz2 file.
* Click on Select All, then Extract.
* Click on Choose, then root, then go to directory above root.
* Click on usr, then local.
* Click on Open, then OK.

Next step for 2.14X (and 3.01 per Dingo):
* Drag portable-seamonkey .zip file to /usr/local/seamonkey; copy, then extract, then delete the .zip.
* Click on portable-seamonkey .zip file to launch SeaMonkey.

Next step for 4.x and Wary 5.1.x:
* Install dbus.pet and dbus-glib.pet.
* Go to /usr/local/seamonkey; click on seamonkey to launch SeaMonkey.
(Note that old SeaMonkey browser remains intact; it's required for help / printer browsers.)

Installing to menu:
* Install menumaker-1.1.pet.
* Go to Menu / Utility / Menu Entry Maker.
* Type in the following (Don't type the parentheses!):

Step 1: SeaMonkey-(version number)

Step 2: SeaMonkey-(version number) web browser

Step 3: Click on folder icon, then go to directory above root, then /usr/local/seamonkey/chrome/icons/default/seamonkey.png.

Step 4:
* 2.14X: /usr/local/seamonkey/portable-seamonkey(version number)
* 4.x and Wary 5.1.x: /usr/local/seamonkey/seamonkey

Step 5: X-Internet
* Then click on Create Menu.

Making desktop shortcut:
* Menu/Filesystem/ROX-Filer/(click green “up
Last edited by Dewbie on Wed 26 Sep 2012, 05:02, edited 1 time in total.

PenguinPupLin

#2 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Thanks,your method works for Slacko5.3 beautifully. For my quickset wary511, it asks me to update gtk+,etc,which I did but accidentally corrupted my pupsave,so I've to revert to my pupsave backup file,may try again later. Btw,will yr method also work for the opera12alpha tar.gz file that I've downloaded from the LegacyOS2 repository that I intend to install in wary511,Lighthouse5.0.3 and 214X-TOP9?

Another funny thing is that when I installed the firefox 4.4.pet from the PPM in Wary511,it replaced the default Seamonkey while leaving the menu icons intact. Then I reinstalled Seamonkey 2.0.13.pet so that both web browsers co-existed separately,strange.

Dewbie

#3 Post by Dewbie »

PenguinPupLin wrote:
For my quickset wary511, it asks me to update gtk+,etc
I've only tested with the regular Wary 5.1.1; all it needed was dbus.pet and dbus-glib.pet.
I'm not familiar with Quickset Wary; your best bet is to just experiment.
Btw,will yr method also work for the opera12alpha tar.gz file
I have no idea; the latest Opera I've tested was this one (ttuuxxx's 11.51.pet, with all above-listed Puppies).

Everything worked OK, plus it didn't break help/PuppyBrowser or install itself as default browser.

PenguinPupLin

SeaMonkey 2.5 Upgrade

#4 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Thanks so much. Just read the following on SeaMonkey website:

Welcome to SeaMonkey
Warning! You're using an old stable version of SeaMonkey (2.5), while we offer a newer version which contains important security fixes.

We encourage you to download the newer version linked in the download box at the right to be safe from known vulnerabilities and be able to use the newest features in a stable SeaMonkey release.

If you get this message despite having installed SeaMonkey 2.6.1 already, you might want to try resetting your user agent string to the default.

If possible,and not too much to ask,could you kindly describe how to do the upgrade to ver 2.6.1 for a newbie like me? Thanks in advance

Colonel Panic

#5 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thanks for this one! I'll have a look at it soon.

Best wishes for 2012,

CP .
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Dewbie

#6 Post by Dewbie »

PenguinPupLin wrote:
If possible,and not too much to ask,could you kindly describe how to do the upgrade to ver 2.6.1 for a newbie like me? Thanks in advance.
At the very top of SeaMonkey 2.5 browser window:
Help / Check for Updates / Update SeaMonkey

PenguinPupLin

#7 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Oh,thank you so much, and sorry I didn't know I can do it the same way as I did in Windows, i.e simply click "check for update". Thought I'd have to download tar.gz/brz or rpm file and go thru what you've described for SeaMonkey 2.5 instead of something simpler for same version update. In Ubuntu formerly,I had to go thru the Software Center(that's fine) and in some other Linux distros you'd be asked to choose which file format to download and setup.
But I couldn't do it this way for my Wary511 SeaMonkey ver 2.0.13, it keeps searching non-stop. Guess in which case I'd have to download the appropriate tar.brz file and use the method outlined by you above.Thanks again.

Dewbie

#8 Post by Dewbie »

PenguinPupLin wrote:
Oh,thank you so much, and sorry I didn't know I can do it the same way as I did in Windows
No problem; I did the same thing when I first got here. :)
(...and still do sometimes :shock: )
i.e simply click "check for update"
Not long ago, SeaMonkey either didn't have this feature (1.x series), or it didn't work properly (earlier 2.x series).
More from raffy's Puppy forum: Updating seamonkey

PenguinPupLin

#9 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Now that I've updated it to ver 2.6.1, how do I edit the menu icon to show the correct version? For that matter,how do I tidy up all my menu icon names,including the ones on the desktop?

Dewbie

#10 Post by Dewbie »

@PenguinPupLin:
How is your Puppy installed: frugal, full, or otherwise?

PenguinPupLin

#11 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Frugal installed in a multi-boot environment with WinXP and other Puppies.
Btw,for Opera 10.51,I couldn't do a check update to bring it up to 10.60 as it asks that I use the system mechanism to do so;looks like Opera isn't as user-friendly to Linux as SeaMonkey or Firefox.

Dewbie

#12 Post by Dewbie »

That's great; frugal means you have a save file. :)

If you want to keep updating SeaMonkey every few weeks (which is how often they're released), I would suggest creating a master save file (without any new browsers) and storing it on a flash drive, or storage partition...whatever.

Move valuable documents, photos, files from your current save file to flash drive or storage partition.
(I never store this stuff in a save file anyway; always in a separate partition. It's much safer that way.)

Then delete your current save file containing the older SeaMonkey.
Copy your master save file to the desired partition; resize (larger) if needed...download the new SeaMonkey and install it to that, using the steps outlined in the first post.
(This way you'll have a fresh start...you won't have to do a file search and delete the old SeaMonkey files one-by-one. Plus your save file won't get bloated from all the updates.)

Then, if you want to update SeaMonkey again when the next one comes out, just repeat the above steps.

Or, you could use a SeaMonkey .pet package with your current save file; installing and uninstalling are done with a few clicks.

However, .pet packages aren't updated every time a new SeaMonkey is released; it's kind of random.
And .pets sometimes don't work because of missing dependencies, etc. :x
(Which is the main reason I now use official SeaMonkey builds; they seem more reliable than the .pets.)
Last edited by Dewbie on Sun 15 Jan 2012, 02:18, edited 1 time in total.

PenguinPupLin

#13 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Many thanks,Dewbie,for sharing a very interesting and useful idea.

PenguinPupLin

#14 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Hi Dewbie,need your help again. If I had seen your 1st post here earlier I wouldn't have broken my default PuppyBrowser after updating the default SeaMonkey 1.1.18 to SeaMonkey 2.0.x. To make it worse,I then made the mistake of deleting the puppybrowser folder instead of just installing firefox to restore it as you've pointed out elsewhere. Is there any way I can reinstall puppybrowser in my Puppy 431 (brunopuppy) as I've found it to be quite useful and interesting?

Dewbie

#15 Post by Dewbie »

I would just start from scratch.
Remember this?
...creating a master save file (without any new browsers) and storing it on a flash drive, or storage partition...whatever.
Always keep a master save file, which includes your basic packages / preferences, and don't update the browser.
Do this only after copying (not moving) the master save file onto your hard drive.
This way, if you screw anything up, you'll always have the master save file as backup.

BarryK puts SeaMonkey in /usr/bin and /usr/lib.
If you put the newer SeaMonkey in those directories, you'll break PuppyBrowser.
That's why the newer SeaMonkey is installed in /usr/local.
Then it can co-exist with the older SeaMonkey and PuppyBrowser...and everything still works.

PenguinPupLin

#16 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Noted and thanks a lot for your explanation.
On another note, Opera has also just announced on their website that from their newest version 11.60 onwards, all future updates shall be automatic;just hoping somebody would come out with a pet or sfs for ths one soon. :D

maureenc

#17 Post by maureenc »

Thank you so much for this information which has helped me with the installation of Seamonkey 2.6.1.

It works fine installed as per your brilliant instructions on Wary Puppy 5.2.1.

All I need now is a good replacement for Greasemonkey so that I can run one of my favourite scripts!

ttuuxxx

#18 Post by ttuuxxx »

latest version is located at http://mirror2.mirrors.tds.net/pub/mozi ... .2.tar.bz2
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Sky Aisling

Install SeaMonkey 2.5 in older Puppies

#19 Post by Sky Aisling »

Thank you ttuuxxx for the link to the latest version of SeaMonkey.
http://mirror2.mirrors.tds.net/pub/mozi ... .2.tar.bz2

I am attempting to either update or replace SeaMonkey 1.1.8 in Puppy-4.3.1. with a newer version of SeaMonkey.

I have downloaded SeaMonkey 2.7.2 from the above link.

I am presented with a box which says *XArchive 0.2.8.6* (See screen shot.)

I am unfamiliar with this box.

What do I do with this box?

Dewbie

#20 Post by Dewbie »

Sky Aisling wrote:
I am unfamiliar with this box.
What do I do with this box?
If you're following the directions in my initial post, this is the part that would normally apply to where you're at:
* Click on Select All, then Extract.
* Click on Choose, then root, then go to directory above root.
* Click on usr, then local.
* Click on Open, then OK.
However, looking at your screenshot, there's no Extract icon.
(That's strange; usually it's to the right.)
Maybe it will appear after clicking on Select All.