DocFetcher 1.0.3

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
firak

DocFetcher 1.0.3

#1 Post by firak »

DocFetcher 1.0.3
It allows you search the contents of documents on your computer. - You can think of it as Google for your local document repository. The application is currently available for Windows and Linux.

http://docfetcher.sourceforge.net/en/download.html

It needs Java libraries, so in frugal puppyes you can load the Jave_jre SFS form Quickpet, beafoarre running it.

I just test it on puppy528 and macpup528.
Is light weight application. Is is very fast for text search in docs.
I use the portable version, that does not need to be installed, simply works!

http://sourceforge.net/projects/docfetc ... p/download

Steps:
-unzip
-make executable this 2 files: DocFetcher.sh , docfetcher-daemon-linux ( right click, permissions )
-make a syslink in a preferred folder to find it ,for running it ( dragging DocFetcher.sh )
-click to DocFetcher.sh for run it .
-select your local folders to index them – in the bottom-left window inside the program, right click for selecting folders.
-it will run for 1 minute
-search text
-click on one of the docs listed, it will show the bulk text and the searched word hilighted
-double click on one of the docs listed, it will oped the docs.

Problem
in macpup when you open a doc the program apparently disappear, click on ctr-F8 to see it again.

Is not clear to me if it updates in the background the index – if the documents changes – it is possible to do it manually.

This program solve for me many problem on finding documents and organize them, so I hope it can be useful for others. You cannot immagine how fast is the text search!
Last edited by firak on Thu 05 Jan 2012, 07:14, edited 1 time in total.

aragon

#2 Post by aragon »

firak,

it would be good if you would mention on your post, that java is needed to run docfetcher. Docfetcher might be a light app, but java is not a light dependency.

aragon

firak

#3 Post by firak »

yes Aragon,
I forgot Java is needed, and loading it wuith sfs, is not so painfull . I will mention in the top.