Slacko Puppy 5.3.1

Please post any bugs you have found
minesadorada

#481 Post by minesadorada »

It would be nice if Grub4DOS produced a less geeky menu.lst by default.

I speak as a Linux newbie, who groans at the autogenerated menu entries littered with uneccessary details.

All I want on my boot menu is:
1 ) Puppy Linux (Slacko/Wary/Lupu/Racy)
2 ) Windows

I don't want all the other information and menu entries.

bigpup

#482 Post by bigpup »

For people who like a lot of programs that do the same thing.
An easy way to change the default program.
Defaults Chooser 0.8
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=56282
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

gcmartin

BigPUP offers a tool to assist in choosing extention default

#483 Post by gcmartin »

bigpup wrote:For people who like a lot of programs that do the same thing. An easy way to change the default program.
Defaults Chooser 0.8
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=56282
Good reference.

I wonder... Should the
  1. "chooser" be built-in to Puppy
  2. along with the tool(s) for adding something to the local desktop
  3. as well as the local running desktop's Menu
Hummm... Maybe this could be a sub-menu of tools on the Menu>Desktop>sometopicname

Just a thought on whether this would provide some obvious ease of use functionality.

gcmartin

Errors in text saving in Geany using SALCKO 5.31

#484 Post by gcmartin »

This issue has probably been covered so many times before now.

But, some advice to me would be helpful on this issues.

How should the system behave when copying text data from one tool to another?
What should I do when bringing up a LIve media boot to insure that text transfers go smooth to Geany?

Thanks for any guidance on this problem below
Attachments
Copied from Abiwrite to Geany. Then attempted to save the file as text.png
Problem saving text data moved from Clip-board to Geany
(156.23 KiB) Downloaded 1550 times

Aitch

#485 Post by Aitch »

I'm running slacko and apart from the usual formatting errors, I don't get the failure you demoed, perhaps there was something in the content of the original abiword document that used utf8
Would browser encoding make a difference? Wouldn't have thought so, but I've noticed strange effects if it's set wrong in character encoding
"How should the system behave?"
Well, I'd have thought...?
How do you save text as .png in geany?

Aitch :)

linbie

USB Install - Also Dual Boot

#486 Post by linbie »

Hello,

I am newbie - tried Puppy a couple of years ago and still have it as a dual boot with WIN XP on an old (1999) laptop. However would like to experiment a little further with the latest release. My knowledge of linux remains at the novice level.

I have read through most of this thread but still can't get things right.

1. Live CD - No problems works well

2. USB install - cannot get this work. The motherboard has options to install using USB-FDD, USB-HDD or USB-ZIP. Have used the universal installer from the live - CD boot to build the USB flash drive specific to all of the above and have set the bios first boot load option as the USB. Also ensured that the partition on the USB had the boot flag ticked. On all occasions the system just hangs with no error message.

3. Would love to have a dual boot system on my desktop which has two hard drives (C and D). I would like to frugal install Puppy onto the D drive but dual boot from the C drive which has WIN XP. As mentioned my knowledge is at the novice level and I cannot figure out the syntax that would be required for the menu.lst file with respect to the lin'n'win method.

Would using unetbootin (for usb) and the windows installer package available through these forums be useful for the above tasks?

Aitch

#487 Post by Aitch »

Hi and welcome

The windoze installer, by noryb works from windoze, fully automatically, as an installable/uninstable app, the same as any win program, except it is just a single folder, including the save file, [which on mine, with an expanded savefile is about 4gb total] on the hard drive, and a modified boot.ini
It sets up a boot menu giving a choice of boot win, or boot puppy using grub4dos, I think, which is also an option when installing using the universal installer, and will work with a usb install, if it's formatted fat32
...most are, by default, though some are ntfs....not too clever, and have had bad reports with puppy installs
Since you've already configured your bios, and it has options for booting from usb, it just remains to get the right grub/menu.lst, or grub4dos setup
see http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61348

or http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51697

...and see how you get on, or just try the win installer

Last edited by Aitch on Thu 05 Jan 2012, 06:35, edited 1 time in total.

8-bit

#488 Post by 8-bit »

In Puppy, your two hard drives would show up as C: being sda1 and D: being sdb1.
You could do a frugal or full install of Puppy to D: sdb1.
In doing a full install though, I think the partition on drive D: sdb1 would have to partitioned with a linux file system. That would make it not readable by windows.
You should be able to install GRUB and pick to write to MBR when the windows version is XP as it has been proven to be faithful in preserving the ability to boot to XP from the grub menu and also Puppy.

The only versions of windows you do not want grub to write its files to the primary hard drive are Vista, and Windows 7.
They use a different boot method and if the grub files are written to that windows partition/drive they will overwrite the windows bootloader and you will not be able to boot to windows.

I am still a layman when it comes to that subject. But I am sure there are others that can steer you in the right direction.

Also, there are EXE installer files for a number of puppy versions that can be downloaded and run from windows that makes the install automatic and also allows you to use the windows uninstaller to remove them.

shinobar

Re: USB Install - Also Dual Boot

#489 Post by shinobar »

linbie wrote:2. USB install - cannot get this work.
The reason is the universal installer does not tend to install the boot loader on the USB device. Do not use the universal installer but do it manually.
Same link Aitch offers.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61348
linbie wrote:Would using unetbootin (for usb) and the windows installer package available through these forums be useful for the above tasks?
Yes, but you need not because you have already got success with the Live CD. You can easily install Puppy manually.
http://shino.pos.to/linux/lupq/puppydualboot.html

If you want to keep the current MBR of Windows, there is a lin'n'win method.
In this case, use the windows installer package. It does it automatically.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61404
Note that the installer installs Puppy on the drive C:.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

shinobar

Re: Errors in text saving in Geany using SALCKO 5.31

#490 Post by shinobar »

For users:
Geany toolbar > Edit > Preferences > File > Encodings > Default encoding(new files: Unicode (UTF-8)

For the distributors(means 01micko):
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 938#583938
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

01micko

#491 Post by 01micko »

Ok thanks shino, :wink: got it

While we are at it, I may suggest to Barry that enable UTF-8 should be an option in woof (so it will be default, you can easy turn it off in first-run). I usually enable it anyway, mainly because "°" (degree) char gives trouble, renders "°", I've no idea why.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

nooby

#492 Post by nooby »

Guys have patience with an old foolish man :)

This Universal installer gives us more problem than it solve?
Why do you Devs keep it when so many again and again fail
using it? Or does it only spell trouble in very few cases like this one?

I try to avoid anything doing automatic install. Exception Grub4dosconfig
that one is almost safe??? But the others you need to really know what
you are doing to use them. So doing it all manually seems more safe to me?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

minesadorada

USB installet

#493 Post by minesadorada »

Linbie: I had the same frustration but finally managed to get the USB flash drive installer to work by using a 2GB or less flash drive and formatting it as FAT16. It then booted fine.

HTH

linbie

Re: USB installet

#494 Post by linbie »

minesadorada wrote:Linbie: I had the same frustration but finally managed to get the USB flash drive installer to work by using a 2GB or less flash drive and formatting it as FAT16. It then booted fine.

HTH
I must say I have not had success with grub4dos. I keep getting the message grldr not found on all drives. My flash drive however is 4GB so could be the problem. My desktop is 2009 vintage so would have thought the motherboard would recognise it but will try a smaller flash drive

Aitch

#495 Post by Aitch »

linbie

Run puppy live CD with the flash drive inserted after booting, you should see an icon down the bottom of the desktop sdb1 with a usb symbol on
Go to the menu/system/gparted, and check that the flashdrive sdb1, is formatted fat32, and the flag is set to bootable [It often isn't, if not set it]
Then, back to desktop, and check to see the Puppy files on the usb drive by clicking on it - rox will open, see if there is a grub4dos, grub or menu.lst there
after, rt click on the drive to unmount it, if it doesn't unmount when closing rox
If OK, then reboot to usb drive, by removing the CD

playdayz

#496 Post by playdayz »

For Testing - Latest Versions

Srware Iron 16 -> ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... slacko.pet
Built with Chromium open-source code disabling some "privacy intrusions" that are in Google Chrome. Chrome versus Iron -> http://www.srware.net/en/software_srwar ... s_iron.php

Google Chrome 16 -> ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... slacko.pet

Chromium 18 -> ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... slacko.pet The development version of the Chromium code base

TOR-Project Browser bundle -> ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... slacko.pet For anonymous browsing, complete with Firefox 9.0.1, HTTPS: Everywhere, and No Script.

MoebusNet

Re: USB Install - Also Dual Boot

#497 Post by MoebusNet »

linbie wrote:Hello,

I am newbie - tried Puppy a couple of years ago and still have it as a dual boot with WIN XP on an old (1999) laptop. However would like to experiment a little further with the latest release. My knowledge of linux remains at the novice level.

I have read through most of this thread but still can't get things right.

1. Live CD - No problems works well

2. USB install - cannot get this work. The motherboard has options to install using USB-FDD, USB-HDD or USB-ZIP. Have used the universal installer from the live - CD boot to build the USB flash drive specific to all of the above and have set the bios first boot load option as the USB. Also ensured that the partition on the USB had the boot flag ticked. On all occasions the system just hangs with no error message.

3. Would love to have a dual boot system on my desktop which has two hard drives (C and D). I would like to frugal install Puppy onto the D drive but dual boot from the C drive which has WIN XP. As mentioned my knowledge is at the novice level and I cannot figure out the syntax that would be required for the menu.lst file with respect to the lin'n'win method.

Would using unetbootin (for usb) and the windows installer package available through these forums be useful for the above tasks?
I was never able to create a bootable Puppy USB flash drive until I followed the directions at this wiki:

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/InstallationFrugal

I format my flash drives with 2 partitions: 1) ext 4 for Puppy Linux & puppy_save file 2) FAT 32 for data I need to share with both Linux & Windows. I do a frugal-manual install to the flash drive.I use Grub4Dos because I haven't gotten others to work for me. To make your first Puppy USB, you may want to just format the entire drive to ext4 and worry about Windows after you get the hang of creating the flash drive; you can always erase & start over. Make sure you are writing GRUB to the flash drive, not your hard drive. Some people have reported issues with larger flash drives; I use 2Gb & 4Gb flash drives. Best of luck!
Acer Aspire One D255-2301 (N450 Atom @ 1.6 Ghz, 1 Gb RAM, 160 Gb HDD w/WinXP, ENE SD card reader, Alps touchpad) 5.28/5.3.1 via manual-frugal ext4 USB flash drive (4Gb) using GRUB4DOS

linbie

#498 Post by linbie »

Aitch wrote:linbie

Run puppy live CD with the flash drive inserted after booting, you should see an icon down the bottom of the desktop sdb1 with a usb symbol on
Go to the menu/system/gparted, and check that the flashdrive sdb1, is formatted fat32, and the flag is set to bootable [It often isn't, if not set it]
Then, back to desktop, and check to see the Puppy files on the usb drive by clicking on it - rox will open, see if there is a grub4dos, grub or menu.lst there
after, rt click on the drive to unmount it, if it doesn't unmount when closing rox
If OK, then reboot to usb drive, by removing the CD

OK - This is what I have tried so far without success

Universal Installer - auto formatting with selecting either USB-HDD, USB-FDD, USB-ZIP or USB-Composite. All of these just hang except USB-ZIP which displays a line quickly (unreadable) before hanging. In the all cases selecting the appropriate setting in BIOS (in fact I have tried all permutation of BIOS settings with the above formats)

Manual formatting with Gparted with Fat 16, Fat 32 and NFTS (in all cases setting the boot flag). Then creating a new directory "puppy" and placing the three frugal install files (from live-CD). Unmounting the USB drive and running grub4DOS. Rebooting with BIOS set to either USB-HDD, USB-FDD or USB-ZIP. In all cases get a response no grldr (it is present on the flash drive) found on any drive with instruction to cntrl/alt/del to restart.

The above have been tried with a 4GB and 2GB flash drives.

The Grub4Dos menu.lst has one entry pdevice=usbflash is this a problem should it something like pdevice=usbhdd (????) - I am just guessing.

Worth trying ext2/4 formats?

linbie

#499 Post by linbie »

Well I've given up with USB booting - tried all suggestions with no luck.

Have installed as a dual boot on C drive using the windows self installer - working fine.

ICPUG

#500 Post by ICPUG »

linbie wrote:Well I've given up with USB booting - tried all suggestions with no luck.

Have installed as a dual boot on C drive using the windows self installer - working fine.
It's nice to know the Lin'N'Win approach (as used by the Windows self installer) worked in the end.

You solved it before giving me enough time to answer your original query of the menu.lst mods for a Lin'N'Win install on a second D drive.

If I installed to a second D drive I would move the puppy files of the Live CD into a folder /slacko531 on the D drive. Then I would use the following in my menu.lst:

title Slacko Puppy Linux 5.3.1
kernel (hd1,0)/slacko531/vmlinuz PMEDIA=idehd PDEV1=sdb1 psubdir=slacko531
initrd (hd1,0)/slacko53/initrd.gz

It's the (hd1,0) and sdb1, rather than (hd0,0) and sda1, that make it refer to a new drive D.

Notes:
1) this is for a new drive NOT a new partition.
2) I also add 'video=640x480' to the kernel line in order to get a bigger text display at the command line