USB boot doesn't load settings

Booting, installing, newbie
Thad

USB boot doesn't load settings

#1 Post by Thad »

Hey there,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I looked around and couldn't find it anywhere.

Just installed 2.01r2-seamonkey on a 1GB jumpdrive. I've split the drive into 2 partitions, a 512MB ext3 (sda1) and a 512MB vfat (sda2). Puppy is, of course, on the ext3 partition.

I've found that when I tell Puppy to save my settings on the ext3 partition -- not as pup_save.3fs but as standard files -- it doesn't load those settings on the next boot. The files are getting written to the drive properly, as I find when I mount it, they're just not getting loaded at boot.

If I choose the pup_save.3fs option, my settings save and are loaded at the next boot.

I'd much rather just have the files save to sda1 properly (or load from it properly, rather, as they seem to be saving just fine); otherwise there's not really any point to having an ext3 partition in the first place.

Has this happened to anybody else and is there a known fix?

Thanks.

Thad

#2 Post by Thad »

Just in case anybody else has this problem, here's how I managed to fix it:

Do a fresh install of Puppy to the jump drive.

Set things up on your first boot, then choose the pup_save.3fs option.

Reboot to another Linux installa (might work if you boot from the same installation but I didn't try), mount the jump drive, and mount pup_save.3fs to loopback.

Copy the contents of the loopback device and remove pup_save.3fs.

Reboot.